Quaker State Defy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Honda Civic with 125,000 miles that I would like to keep a long time. Oil change time is coming and am wondering how everyone feels about Quacker State Defy?? I assume it is not a synthetic mix?

What OCI are you looking at?

The Defy is syn blend. Any QS oil is good stuff and can be run with confidence.

Didn't know it was a blend. I do oil changes around 4,000-4,500 miles. I do almost 100% urban Chicago stop & go driving.

Defy is a good oil but you might benefit from a resource conserving conventional with your short drains. If it's not burning oil check out PYB or QSAD.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
I really like that Defy is a little heavy and has high antiwear additives.

Exactly, the recent trend to make HM oils "Resource Conserving" is nuts, their ruining some good HM brews IMO.

Yes there's a place for these thicker high mileage oils but unless his vehicle is consuming oil he really doesn't need defy but it won't hurt. That Honda will run on any api sn conventional for a long time.

On a side note the PDS indicates defy may be a full synthetic in stealth with its low pour point. More gtl bases getting blended in? Who knows.

I think a 2000 model car could benifit from a little thicker oil with high ZDDP and swellers.
The gaskets are old and could use conditioning, the add pack is closer to what it was designed to run with, and that little extra viscosity will help take up slack at the wear points (mainly bearings) and revive any lost oil pressure from wear

Any MPG loss would be miniscule and a small price for the advantages

But thats coming from a guy who runs a 40 grade in an engine with 5w20 on the cap.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

On a side note the PDS indicates defy may be a full synthetic in stealth with its low pour point. More gtl bases getting blended in? Who knows.

Been a lot of recent discussion on that I wish we knew for sure, I do know I ran it last winter and it started exceptionally well in the cold despite being thick for grade, I was very surprised at the time maybe now we know why.

I was still running MoS2 at that time though so that could've had something to do with it also.

I used defy in the 5w-20 flavour in my ram last spring. It was the quietest running oil I used in that truck. I liked it.
However I can't find it on sale so I don't buy it anymore. Not when I can get full syns for 22 bucks a jugs.

I looked again at the defy PDS and 5w30 has a - 30C pour point which seems different than I recall. It's probably just a blend like it says, I probably got it mixed up with something else. The NOACK is only 12.5% so not GTL here. It does have an 11.5 cSt viscosity at 100C and a viscosity index of 163 so it should do fine in a lot of applications. The HTHS is about 3.2

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I looked again at the defy PDS and 5w30 has a - 30C pour point which seems different than I recall. It's probably just a blend like it says, I probably got it mixed up with something else. The NOACK is only 12.5% so not GTL here. It does have an 11.5 cSt viscosity at 100C and a viscosity index of 163 so it should do fine in a lot of applications. The HTHS is about 3.2

There could be GTL. Just look at the recent tests on PQIA on QSGB and PYB. All the SOPUS PDSs are outdated.

Originally Posted By: volk06
All the SOPUS PDSs are outdated.

Outdated, and wrong, and confused with other products....
wink.gif

I don't believe a -30 C pour point on any 5w-30 currently on the market, let alone a synthetic blend like Defy.

Its funny that you guys have been discussing DEFY here lately. Yesterday while at the dealership, I had a conversation with a couple Service Techs and the Svc Mngr concerning everything oil related w/ the d.i. 2.0T. One of them owns a 2013 SFS 2.0T as well, and he uses 5w30 SL Defy at 5k mi oci. His main reasons being the extra detergents and the HTHS over 3.0. I forgot that our manuals state SL as permissible...

Owners manual
If the API service SM engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use API service SL.

All of them recommended it highly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back