Seeing dead stock high mileage cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
that're in good condition always puts a smile on my face. When the rims are factory originals, the car isn't lowered, no aftermarket intake/exhaust, no mods, it's a beautiful thing
smile.gif

Oh yeah. Those are the ones I am willing to pay more for on ebay.

At the moment I have "too many" (aka 6) vehicles. One I have seriously chopped up (to be a rock crawler). And yet even I step back with the perspective of time and reconsider what I did.

Leave it stock. If you modify it, modify it with the belief that you will own it forever. If that bothers you... leave it stock.

Any serious car buyer knows you cannot beat the factory for longevity. That's why bone stockers are a rarity that most buyers willingly pay more for.

Including me.

Many buyers will deduct for mods as they will want everything back to OEM asap. Especially in the low volume markets where there is not an over supply of the vehicles. If there's a little rarity the stockers are always worth more...

Except for wrangler jeeps, which lift kits and bigger tires are normally okay with, I prefer it as stock as possible.

My wife has the car modifiers dream bone stock. 2005 Subaru Legacy GT which has a deriviative of the STI(300HP) but civilized to 250HP. Very easy/inexpensive to get 300HP+.

However ours is just beyond reliable in terms of engine mechanicals unlike the forum of folks who make theirs go faster and faster.

Definitely. The "wanna be" car guy who tinkers and changes thing usually ends up doing more harm then good. Any "ricer" modifications; run from.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
that're in good condition always puts a smile on my face. When the rims are factory originals, the car isn't lowered, no aftermarket intake/exhaust, no mods, it's a beautiful thing
smile.gif

You would have liked my '91 Integra. It was 100% stock, and about 90% genuine Honda.

Our '99 Tercel is also 100% stock, and is 100% genuine Toyota.

I've always kept my vehicles in their original condition, and when I purchase vehicles that aren't new it's something I look for.

I wouldn't purchase a vehicle that's been modified-I think they always look rather foolish.

Same here. When I was looking at trucks there were pretty much 2 types:

1. Older high mileage units that may or may not have been taken care of. Talking 150-250k.

2. Newer units that were lifted, had huge tires, smokestack pipes, etc.

I usually run from any type of mods other than maybe rims. Like others have said, the factory gets it right for quality and longevity.

People are too broke here to go away from stock.

Mostly stereos, rims, and weird tail lights.

Bro-Trucks get height adjustments but most work trucks just get beat to death with a "custom" 4 inches of slop in the steering.
wink.gif

Hello, Gotta jump in with many "+1" 's. In my opinion the only modification which is acceptable is one necessitated by the discontinuance/unavailability of a replacement part.
I grew up around real farmers who, when they modified anything at all, did so to tow more or have improved ground clearance or stretch the life of rusted vehicles.

People have their hands full just keeping up on a vehicle. Mods usually go hand in hand with undone maintenance.

When you sell a vehicle in presentable-to-sharp condition, being able to say, "It's all stock" is second only to the phrase, "Everything works". Kira

No doubt aftermarket wheels can make or break the looks of ANY vehicle, not just older ones... Last two vehicles I bought both have custom wheels...

On one of these that came with a six shooter(neighbor had one with 6cyl & three on tree) or small block, I'll take BIG BLOCK, and aftermarket any day for sure, plus custom exhaust, headers, aluminum intake, newer top loader 4-speed, etc, etc, etc...

1963406galaxie_zps59185385.jpg

100% stock is the only way to go imo,especially cosmetically. There's nothing worse than seeing rubberband tires,erector set wings,weird body kits,blue headlights,fake carbon fiber everywhere,aftermarket shifter knobs,etc. Fake badging is the WORST. Chevy trucks with Cadillac emblems looks like bad comedy haha! Aftermarket clear tailights look ridiculous too. Modded cars have no resale value also.

You'd love any of my cars then. The only "change" I've made so far, other than batteries, wiper blades, and oil filters, is that the replacement tires on my Dakota are a slightly different size than OEM. The SXT package included a funky tire size that is made, but isn't in stock at the stores. The wait wasn't an issue when I replaced them since I could have waited the couple of days, but the guy at Discount Tire pointed out that it could become a problem if I was traveling and something happened where I needed to replace them in a hurry. And thanks to that, I wound up getting a better quality tire for less cost than the one I originally wanted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Modded cars have no resale value also.

LOL I have a Cobalt SS and its all stock. Its almost funny to read the Cobalt SS forum and see the cars some of the kids there are trying to sell. They try to pretend that a painted dashboard, aftermarket stereo/DVD system, wing removed and holes filled with Bondo, and flat-black painted wheels increase the car's value. They do not. Quite the opposite.

Originally Posted By: Kira
People have their hands full just keeping up on a vehicle. Mods usually go hand in hand with undone maintenance.

When you sell a vehicle in presentable-to-sharp condition, being able to say, "It's all stock" is second only to the phrase, "Everything works". Kira

My thoughts exactly.

When I was young and foolish, I saved up my money to buy a Corvette. I ended up buying a modified 66 Stingray because it looked cool and shiny. Once I got familiar with it, I saw all the shortcomings that go along with modifications. This left an eternal bad taste in my mouth for anything that was modified. All my cars are bone stock. Now, any time I see a modified car, I also see all the shortcomings along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back