Motor Oil Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Ahh put me down for one, even if it saves me 1 oil change it already paid for itself at 30 dollars..

Dangerous postings cost engines, this device has been around the snake oil circuit under different names for years. All it can do is measure acidity and conductivity in a fairly inaccurate manner. That can only warn you that you have a seriously high level of anti freeze in your oil or the oil is so full of wear metals its electrical resistance has changed.
Stick to the old blotting paper tests as they are cheaper and can even spot fuel contamination which this device can't.
If you are worried about your old oil try Blackstones or just change it more often.

VERY TRUE! Although the oil service computer in a BMW uses a much more expensive test unit and it does give a rough guide when to change the oil based on wear metal conductivity and dielectric changes, but it is not triggered until they are fairly high. Most of the change oil warning systems just watch engine RPM and count the stop starts along with average temperature.
Anti freeze will set if off fairly quickly, but the thing people forget about the dealers, is that they are not interested in the real long term life expectancy of your engine, they just don't want it to fail whilst the car is under warrenty. The fact it blows up the year after is not their problem, which is why they are pushing so hard for extended oil change intervals without doing individual detailed UOA or consulting with a real oil analysis expert.

I stumbled on to this thread while searching for something else and coincidentally saw this device listed in the Parker/Racor Bypass Filtration Catalog:
Here

and

Here on pg. 11

I'm going to inquire with Parker/Racor on their Bypass systems and ask them about it ect......
21.gif

No, but thanks for reminding me. I really want a Parker/Racor but things are personally screwed up for me for a while now health-wise and that does not help my car that's suffering too!
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back