Oil companies on MS-6395 (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been emailing the various oil companies to find out what they claim they offer that is certified for Chrysler's rather rigorous MS-6395 standard. This was brought up as my Father's new '13 300 w/ the 3.6 Pentastar V6 are approaching first OCI time.

So far, I've only gotten a response from SOPUS, Will update when Castrol, Mobil, & Ashland get back to me.

Quoting the e-mail
"Good morning ,

We are the factory fill motor oil for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep. All of our standard, synthetic blends and full synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oils are approved for Chrysler’s standard MS 6395 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30) ."

You all probably knew this, But I wanted to share
crazy.gif

After all, New car/First OCI only happens so often
grin.gif

I'll add on when I get other replies, I remember Mobil 1's were proving difficult in ChryCo's under warranty as they revised the Spec, And Mobil would have to submit to 2 years of testing. It'll be interesting to hear there response.

One other little question. This thing has a cartridge filter, It has Hengst stamped into the cap. Does anyone know what size the socket is on Pentastar Cartridge engines? 27mm?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I have been emailing the various oil companies to find out what they claim they offer that is certified for Chrysler's rather rigorous MS-6395 standard. This was brought up as my Father's new '13 300 w/ the 3.6 Pentastar V6 are approaching first OCI time.

So far, I've only gotten a response from SOPUS, Will update when Castrol, Mobil, & Ashland get back to me.

Quoting the e-mail
"Good morning ,

We are the factory fill motor oil for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep. All of our standard, synthetic blends and full synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oils are approved for Chrysler’s standard MS 6395 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30) ."

You all probably knew this, But I wanted to share
crazy.gif

After all, New car/First OCI only happens so often
grin.gif

I'll add on when I get other replies, I remember Mobil 1's were proving difficult in ChryCo's under warranty as they revised the Spec, And Mobil would have to submit to 2 years of testing. It'll be interesting to hear there response.

One other little question. This thing has a cartridge filter, It has Hengst stamped into the cap. Does anyone know what size the socket is on Pentastar Cartridge engines? 27mm?

MS6395 is not "rigorous". It is a pretty easy standard to meet spec wise. The only thing about it that even approaches any level of difficulty to achieve is that 2 year testing period( which is asinine ). Nothing special about MS6395( and I am a MOPAR guy to the core ). M1 oils are no longer certified because they are having a tantrum because Chrysler swapped to SOPUS for FF. They are just using the 2 year testing as an excuse(IMO).

Also, you do not need to use an officially certified oil to preserve your warranty. Just has to meet/exceed it. The owner's manual even states "meet" for MS6395. They specify API Cert but only meet for MS6395...

Originally Posted By: 2013 Chrysler 300 Owner's Manual - Page 502

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Obviously if you wish to use an officially certified oil that is your call. The point is don't get too hung up on it having to be "certified". Just go to the oil mfg's websites and you can find what oils meet the spec. A name brand oil mfg is not going to claim it meets something it doesn't. If they did and it was discovered it didn't they would be sued at every turn.

Also, if you are interested, Kendall offers oils that meet/exceed MS6395 as well and their oils are excellent.

Last edited:
I see what you mean.
I'm only going through the specs because of fleet use, and past hissy fits of getting Chrylser dealers to warranty things. I just wanted to make sure I gave them nothing they could use against me.

I just heard back from Castrol
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Chrysler MS-6395 is the Chrysler service fill specification for an API certified engine oil. Castrol EDGE Extended Performance and Castrol EDGE (formerly SYNTEC) oils in 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 grades all meet Chrysler MS-6395 requirements.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back