Oil pressure Delco, K&N, Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a real informal test on a Delco UPF44, K&N 1007, and Baldwin B31.

After reading lots of comments on the Delco UPF44 being restrictive I decided to look at oil pressures on my car with as much control as I could come up with given I'm not in a lab. All these readings are with new oil on a C5 Corvette. The oils was at 210 deg F and I was taking the readings at 1700 RPM in 6th gear.

Delco UPF 44 32 lb PSI
K&N 1007 40 Lb PSI
Baldwin B31 38 lb PSI

I decided to stick with the Baldwin. They are built like tanks and other tests seem to show that it filters better than the K&N. For my car the Baldwin seems to hit the sweet spot between flow and filtering. I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there but I really want decent flow, given my car sees a lot of roadcourse. Thanks to Patman for talking me away from the Delco UPF44!

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
I think you have hit the nail on the head. The Baldwin's are built extremely well, do a good job of balancing flow and filtration, and are mid-priced.

Never heard of Baldwin until somebody decided to see what worked on Mercruiser study!
worshippy.gif

Wouldn't the lower number with the UPF 44 mean it was flowing better as the pump would not be able to build up the pressure because it was flowing better/faster???

quote:

Wouldn't the lower number with the UPF 44 mean it was flowing better as the pump

In a word, no. The oil pressure guage is normally after the filter. Higher pressure, all other things being equal, results in a higher flow rate than does lower pressure. Think of your water faucet at home. When low water pressure is available the flow is also low, high pressure, high flow (as long as all other conditions are the same).

If one were reading oil pressure on the input side of the oil filter then it *could* happen that higher pressure indicated a restrictive filter, but all normal automotive oil pressure gauges are downstream of the filter.

John

Thanks to you Rich, as your testing will help me decide what oil filter to run in my C5 when I get it!
smile.gif
I don't think I can get a K&N HP1007 from Canadian Tire up here, so I'd have to find an alternative. Although I'm not sure if they sell Baldwin's up here either. I know they sell Fleetguards though. You should give them a try next and see how they do.

Where can you buy the Baldwin's and/or Fleetguard's? I have been alternating between Napa Gold and Hastings for some time but would gladly try the other two if they are readily available.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back