Is it possible to over lube a treadmill belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6yr old Nordic track treadmill. For the first few years that I owned it I never really used it that much. But up until recently I finally got back into a work out regiment. When I purchased the unit it came with several years of in home maintenance service and check up which included lubricating the belt. That's expired and It hasn't seen any service in awhile and I felt under the belt and it wasn't very lubricated anymore. So I ordered a lube kit from the manufacturer which consisted of (3) 5oz packets of silicon lube and very vague instructions. It told me to loosen the belt from each corner then spread the lube in a zig zag pattern on each side. Pull the belt until the portion that was under the unit is now on top of the deck and repeat the process, then feel over the belt to make sure the lube is coming into contact...Now I'm not sure if I should have used one packet for the whole thing or two. The customer service rep at NordicTrack said between 1-2 packets would be needed even though they sent me 3. After applying a packet to each side and letting the machine run on low for a min, the belt feels like its sticking even more than before to the deck and I can hear a sticky crackling sound. Is it possible to over lube these things, and what should I do?

Thanks

You don't describe how it is "sticking" but I would suggest in the future (or now) clean the deck of dust and debris and then spray silicone onto the deck in the area when your feet contact the deck.

I should note that you will need to loosen the belt enough to be able to lift the belt up off the deck. I just did this on mine a few days ago and it works great now. I can definately feel less drag and less noise also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back