PYB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a question? I have a 2009 Rubicon Unlimited Wrangler with the 3.8L. It only has 30k miles on it, and is still under warranty. I also bought the extended Chrysler warranty. Anyhow, I did an oil change with Mobil 1 forgetting it didn't meet the Chrysler spec. I was looking at conventional oil, as it is cheaper, and I do not do any extreme driving.

So, would PYB do a good job of keeping my engine clean? I know it is an outstanding oil, and I know Mobil 1 is, too. I chose synthetic for cleaning, wear, and cold weather properties. It has been in the - degree temps here in Ohio.

Anyways, I was just looking for some feedback on using this oil. I was also looking at the new Castrol Titanium 5w20 since it is a thicker 5w20. I know it is not a huge difference, but with these 3.8L engines, I thought it might be beneficial.

I appreciate any input, and taking the time to read. I am looking to use a Fram Ultra.

PYB is a fine oil and will work well in your application. Chrysler seems to love Pennzoil and every Jeep dealer in my area uses Pennzoil conventional as their bulk oil so I'd imagine there are thousands of 3.8's living happy lives with it.

Pay not attention to moronic advertising claims on the bottle UNLESS they are Manufactures approvals and service categories.

Ad copy - they hold no water whatsoever.

"40% Cleaner than running coal tar" - what a joke.

There is an ILSAC GF5 spec. There are ACEA specs.

Is the chrylser non-turbo spec just a regurgitation of API SN/ ILSAC GF-5? Dont dump the Mobil for a silly reason like that.

Last edited:
I'm not dumping the Mobil until the time comes for a change. However, I was just looking at when time is due, switching to something approved.

I wouldn't run any expensive oil in a 3.8 - especially with the way the burn through it. Replacing $6/QT M1 every 600 miles is a lot more expensive than replacing $3/QT PYB every 500 miles.

PYB should work well. It's not a "high tech" engine that requires a synthetic.

Though, I'd buy some 5w-30 and cook the record books so it looks like you bought and used 5w-20.

You bought an extended warranty? Ours (2009) came with a lifetime drivetrain warranty from the factory and will be in affect until we sell it. It covers the lockers, transmission etc even if we wheel it.

I bought some Pennzoil Ultra to use in the Fords 6.2 and the Jeeps 3.8 (it meets both specs) but I think I'll give PYB a try next time. Current fill is M1 5w20.. And I have some 5w30 to burn through as well. No pun intended.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
You bought an extended warranty? Ours (2009) came with a lifetime drivetrain warranty from the factory and will be in affect until we sell it. It covers the lockers, transmission etc even if we wheel it.

I bought some Pennzoil Ultra to use in the Fords 6.2 and the Jeeps 3.8 (it meets both specs) but I think I'll give PYB a try next time. Current fill is M1 5w20.. And I have some 5w30 to burn through as well. No pun intended.

I bought the extended warranty because my brother works for Chrysler, and it was over half off. Otherwise, I would have not.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Early 2009 came with the lifetime powertrane warranty. It was cut off a ways into 2009 from what I understand.

Iirc PYB is the factory fill from Chrysler is it not? And the SRT vehicles get a specially brewed version of pennzoil ultra don't they?
The only reason that Mobil doesn't have the approval stamp from Chrysler is a few years ago there was a bit a of falling out and Chrysler then went to pennzoil to formulate the SRT oil. Prior to that M1 0w-40 was the oil specified for the SRT engines and I think was the factory fill so don't look to deeply into M1 not having formal approval.
I seriously doubt M1 useage will lead to any lubrication problems nor will using it cause any potential warranty concerns.
But you can't go wrong with PYB. Its a great conventional oil and will easily run a 5000 mile interval in a properly maintained engine.
As far as cleaning goes pennzoil makes some rather large claims and they've done some significant testing to prove their results however as with all advertising take it with a grain of salt.
We've seen pics of engines running various conventionals that were spotless under the valve cover so I think its less due to the oil and more due to the maintenance plan so keep that in mind.
If you run your engine hard or lots of short tripping where oil doesn't maintain operating temp for long or lots of city miles,basically what we call severe service then the interval should be shortened somewhat or use a synthetic and run it longer.
However you go about it,whether synthetic or conventional consider your driving habits then choose the oil that best fits the service schedule you prefer and go from there.
The 3.8 isn't high tech, it is a torquey,low rev tractor motor that will last nearly forever if maintained properly.

The 3.8 started life as the old pushrod Chrysler 3.3 with a longer stroke.3.8s seem to wear far faster than 3.3s and burn way more oil.Chrysler's first V6 FWD engine (minivans/larger FWD cars).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The 3.8 started life as the old pushrod Chrysler 3.3 with a longer stroke.3.8s seem to wear far faster than 3.3s and burn way more oil.Chrysler's first V6 FWD engine (minivans/larger FWD cars).

I do not know the schematics of this motor. I was always a 4.0 guy when it came to Jeeps. However, I do know a few people with very high miles on their JK 3.8L motors, and no problems at all; including oil burning. But, I have heard of the oil consumption issue.

I am just trying to find a happy medium with taking care of this thing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is the chrylser non-turbo spec just a regurgitation of API SN/ ILSAC GF-5? Dont dump the Mobil for a silly reason like that.

I believe you just posted some incorrect information. Mobil One still does not meet Chrysler's specs according to the Mobil website.

That being said I doubt if there was warranty work to be done a warrant claim would be denied.

Has anyone heard anything in regards to PYB in the 3.8L? I cannot seem to find any solid info on it. A lot of what I have turned up is people using Mobil 1. I know PYB runs excellent in the venerable inline 6 4.0. However, this engine is obviously different.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
Has anyone heard anything in regards to PYB in the 3.8L? I cannot seem to find any solid info on it. A lot of what I have turned up is people using Mobil 1. I know PYB runs excellent in the venerable inline 6 4.0. However, this engine is obviously different.

I would try PYB in my 08 JK but I can never find it cheaper than M1 (5w-20).
I'm never down more than pint (usually less) for my six month (per lifetime warranty) drain interval so I'm sticking with what works. If I ever do come across a good deal on PYB, I'd try it.

Chrysler did drop Mobil in favor of Shell for factory fill sometime early 2009.

The 3.8L has driven millions of soccer moms all over tarnation with the cheapest no-name oil for years.

PYB will be fine and keep the engine perfectly clean. Supertech 5W20 would do the same thing as would any SN rated 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
The 3.8L has driven millions of soccer moms all over tarnation with the cheapest no-name oil for years.

Hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back