Wife Wants New Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 36 year old wife wants a new vehicle. She is tired of the old Nissan Altima.

She will mostly be driving it to work, and running typical errands required when you have a two grade school children (7 and 9 years old).

She is looking to spend about $15,000. This is a considerable chunk of change for us, so we would like this car to last her for 10 years (get the kids through high school). She puts about 12-15k miles on the car/year.

I just purchased a 2010 Honda Accord. So, we don't really need another two wheel drive 4-door sedan. But it's not out of the question either.

She like the idea of having a wagon. So maybe a Subaru Outback. I'd love to buy a neat, old diesel Mercedes W123 Wagon from the early 80's...but she's a woman and wants new/updated car. But I told her I could buy a REALLY nice one for $15K!!! I don't think she is biting.

So, also a Honda CRV is being tossed around (4WD version).

Should I even consider a Volvo Wagon?

Any and all ideas are welcome. Looking for a great "family" vehicle that will be reliable and fairly bullet proof.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I don't think she is biting.

Go ask her what she wants/likes -- that's going to achieve a lot more than posting an open-ended question here.

CRV is (IMHO) a jackpot. Cost to purchase and own pretty reasonable. I'd also look at Nissan Murano. Plenty used out there to pick from. Women seem to dig em and they ride well and are pretty reliable (there were a few years with that CVT trans when they first came out).

For about 16-17 you can purchase a new Elantra hatchback. Maybe find a 2013 in your price range. I'm very happy with my purchase. Big enough for the kids, and the rear hatch area provides ample space. The base model includes heated mirrors and seats. Being from the midwest, they've come in handy multiple times.

Good luck with your search! Happy wife, happy life....

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Go ask her what she wants/likes -- that's going to achieve a lot more than posting an open-ended question here.

I hear ya...but she will listen to me and take my advice. I can present to her 3-6 makes/models and let her pick from those. That way I have my input as far being a guy goes (a BITOG, kinda guy) but she gets to pick it out because after all, it is her $$$$.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Gently used late-model Crown Victoria?

She is a social worker, with a skimpy income. Gas might be a problem for her on this one. Plus, that is a total dude car. She wants something a little more "chicky".

Last edited:
[Quote-Phishin:] "This is a considerable chunk of change for us"

If money is the issue, switch cars with your wife and let her take the Accord!

Last edited:
We had a '10 CR-V before we got my wife's MDX. We loved that little car, it was almost like a friend (as odd as that may sound).

Never went to the dealer for anything other than fluid changes (and to replace defective Continental tires).

We could fit an inordinate amount of stuff in it with some careful packing.

And the RealTime AWD is superb in the snow, it got me through the aftermath of the 12/26/10 blizzard when even 4wd trucks were getting stuck.

2010 saw some styling updates and a slight bump in power so I'd say that's the year you'd want to shoot for.

Last edited:

Go ask a woman what she wants/likes....yeah sure...
crackmeup2.gif

Mercedes S500
13.gif

hey Phish, tough decision... i'd take the plunge and get a GMC terrain... Then you would have the Hot "Stacies Mom" deal going...
10 years is alot to ask if you got salt on the roads in the winter... I'd look at her driving habits and see how often she is just by herself... We had a minivan that fell apart, most of the time it was just her driving to work... big waste... It was doing "minivan" stuff about once a month...
with gas at $4.00 a gallon, 2 Ford fiestas in the driveway would look good...
4WD... Don't need it... Just don't drive in bad conditions...
Of course telling these things to our loved ones is not easy...
we ended up with a used PT cruiser loaded, (3500$) She loves it!

Nothing can beat the practicality of a mini-van. I don't know why there is such a stigma attached to these vehicles. As my three kids have grown up I've really enjoyed owning mini-vans. From taking long driving vacations, to hauling multiple kids to soccer games, to moving all their things to college, to hauling sheets of plywood from the hardware store they are hard to beat. Comfortable ride, sit up high, 25 MPG on the highway, plenty of room, the list goes on.

Granted the reliability hasn't been stellar, but, I've never had anything major break or been stranded by the Chrysler's and Fords I've owned in the past.

Embrace the soccer mom/dad lifestyle and get a mini-van.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

I hear ya...but she will listen to me and take my advice. I can present to her 3-6 makes/models and let her pick from those. That way I have my input as far being a guy goes (a BITOG, kinda guy) but she gets to pick it out because after all, it is her $$$$.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Gently used late-model Crown Victoria?

She is a social worker, with a skimpy income. Gas might be a problem for her on this one. Plus, that is a total dude car. She wants something a little more "chicky".

My wife loves her Grand Marquis. She talked smack about mine when I first got it. Now she doesn't want to drive anything else. Plus it gets around 26mpg highway sometimes a little better.

Last edited:
CRV is a good pick, they seem to be pretty good, no real issues with my parents '07, just used more gas than they expected.
Also $15k isn't too far from a new Caravan if you want a warranty.
I would be tempted to see if she would bite on a Focus wagon, loaded with leather and sunroof its not a bad ride, has heated seats and mirrors, and the cargo space of the CRV with for $7-8k and gets maybe 25% better mileage with the automatic.

With kids those ages, there isn't all the stroller claptrap to go anywhere. It means you can travel much lighter.

I just don't see used Hondas as good deals. I think you can't go wrong with the outback. Maybe a year ago, someone on here got a new outback for around $21k. Maybe less frills, but if money is an issue, you shouldn't be buying frills anyway.

I'd save for a few months and give the outback a look in the august timeframe when deals are to be had.

Remember if you are buying used now, you may have to buy again when the kids are starting college! Would you rather buy new, now, perhaps an elantra or the outback and keep it through college not having to buy a car while forking out for college?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back