Metal shavings in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp, looks better than the ATF on a brighter note.
smile.gif

Those pictures don't look good. Open the filter, spread out the media and look for metal flakes in the media. If you saved the used oil in a clean container, an oil analysis wouldn't hurt either

2afle7q.jpg

Oil filter looks good, wasn't a very good picture

Maybe it was a sealant. Previous owner said it had an oil leak, which was the valve cover and the oil pan gasket has a slow drip, easy fix just didn't feel like pulling the pan this OCI

I paid $1,700 which is actually a pretty good price for Phoenix cars.

This has blown my mind, I was expecting a filter full of shavings and it looked really good. I'm gonna do 4-5k on the PU and see what comes of it, of there's metal shavings then I will definitely do a UOA.

to me it all makes sense, citing that unlike most of the sub-micron level additives in suspension, most big metal flakes kinda additives has no means of staying in suspension but to settle down to the very bottom of the oil pan,and even below the oil pickup ....

Because of that, those flakes didn't make it into the oil filter.

I've seen this in cars with oil additives before (restore incl.)...

Q.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm gonna do 4-5k on the PU and see what comes of it, of there's metal shavings then I will definitely do a UOA.

Respectfully, You need to get a bunch of cheap oil and a basket of filters and flush that thing. Like, change the oil run it for 10 minutes then dump it. When you no longer see specks, you can stop.

Thats got to be an additive if the car is running well. The question is why would someone selling a car need that additive? Excessive oil consumption?. If that were bearing material, the bearing would be spun already and it would be making noise. I vote weird additive ( rebuild in a can, or the old oil tablets.

Looks pretty fine to me.... if your gold panning.
Does/did it show flecks on the dip stick? I'd keep a close eye on it. Just changed oil & filter... I'd do a short short run on the oil, drain to see how much or little comes out. If additive was used, should be a lot less if you got most out.
Also next change, I'd run engine until get oil hot then drain... hoping to suspend as much as possible of whatever it is to get out during the drain.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I see no alarm to run 10 minute flushes but you can shorten them to 3k until the additives are gone.

What additive is it? What oil additive looks like that. It ain't restore. If it's not supposed to be there, it should be flushed out. As mentioned above it's most likely a radiator stop leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back