ATF Cooler Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me the correct flow connection for an ATF cooler?

The way I plan on doing it:
From Transmission --> Radiator Cooler --> Thermostatic Bypass Valve --> Auxiliary Cooler --> Back to Transmission

The way I see it is it will either get warmed up or cooled down by the radiator cooler, and then if it's too hot it'll pass through the auxiliary cooler, and if it's not too hot it'll bypass it and back to the transmission.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
That is the way my wagon is set-up. Only difference is I have an external spin on filter just before the thermostatic bypass valve.

Adding filtration is a good idea. A Magnefine will also work well in that location.

Mine goes through the radiator then to the 45K BTU trans cooler then back to trans . Temps have never been above 180 even hot days at the track.
fan1.jpg

WishIhadatruck, how did you set up the external spin on filter?
I've considered this too using part of those "oil filter relocation kit" but is there a more efficient way?

How can the ATF be warmed in the radiator cooler? The ones I've seen have the cooler in the cold tank of the radiator. Check the temperature of the cold tank in your car's radiator on some chilly day. It never gets very warm, and certainly not very soon. The hot tank of the radiator is the temperature of the water leaving the head, 190°F or so. The cold tank is much colder on a cold day.

Where will you get the thermostatic valve? I think a temperature of about 160°F would work, and I don't know where to find that.

Look for a cooler made by Dana's Long Mfg. Co. These are sold under several labels: Tru-Cool, Tekonsha, B&M, maybe others. The tell-tale is "Made in Canada" on the cooler. These have an internal bypass for cold fluid.
long-tru-cool-for-site.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back