2000 Dodge Neon Under the hood Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Chrysler always made some good engines...

***Correction***
Chrysler always buys some good engines from Japan...

Sorry, no.
All of Chrysler's good engines were home brew, this one included. The garbage oil burning Mitsubishi engines were always in the vans you saw blowing blue smoke at stop lights.

Chrysler has had some problems through the years but they were almost never their engines minus maybe the 2.7L V6.

Nice. I don"t see any sludge. Great pics. I hope the 5k intervals with M1 HM are at least 6 months long. Cut open the first 10k filter and check condition of the media.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Whats in the cut open radiator hose?

The cardbaord protector to the spark plug tips to hold it open.

Pennzoil HM oil or any Pennzoil and Shell oils will never be in my motors.

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Consider paying attention to the entire cooling system - that is 1000x more of a current threat than the varnish.

At the very least, consider checking upper/lower radiator hoses, replace thermostat and rad cap. If you're up for it, drain the radiator to get good look in there.

Good work so far!

The lower radiator hose has been replace and haven't done the upper yet. I have it..just don't feel like doing it at this moment. Thermostat has also been replaced but not the cap. Raditor fluid was gross brown, put in a flush cleaner and ran that for a good two hours, and then drained it and added new fluid. The whole garden hose method didn't work.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

***Correction***

Sorry, no.
All of Chrysler's good engines were home brew, this one included. The garbage oil burning Mitsubishi engines were always in the vans you saw blowing blue smoke at stop lights.

Chrysler has had some problems through the years but they were almost never their engines minus maybe the 2.7L V6.

And in some Plymouth Acclaim`s...
grin.gif

The varnish to worry about is when it is thick and hindering moving parts. I see none of that. The gunk on the underside of the valve cover is due to the cooler surface. Again, nothing to worry about. There are a LOT worse engines out there still running every day.

More pics. After putting the car on jacks, started taking off the oil pan bolts I noticed that it was connected to the transmission to help hold it up, and so I took it to the shop and have them do it. Unfortunately I didn't hangout for 4 plus hours to take a picture of the oil pan. Bought a new oil pan gasket, oil sensor, and performance oil pump -

High volume 20%. Upgraded materials for improved performance and durability. Installed relief spring designed to increase internal by-pass pressure setting. Supplied with additional spring to reduce by-pass pressure to stock settings. -

rather then a standard one, pics are of the original pump. Hopefully this should significantly reduce the oil (quart every month) it consumes. Never saw any oil around the oil pan where it connects to the block or the filter.

P1000293.JPG

P1000294.JPG

P1000295.JPG

P1000296.JPG

P1000297.JPG

P1000298.JPG

P1000299.JPG

P1000300.JPG

P1000302.JPG

I could never do that OCI... I would expect a lot of that "patina" would be avoidable with 4-5K max OCI with VWB... depending on the highway use... and a 14 yo car at 110K, I do not think it is getting a lot of big HW miles.

I would keep to 5K with the MS5 and go with a full Syn if you want that 10K interval

Not bad...

But I'm curious too about the never call on pennzoil products..

I've had good runs with SOPUS products in general...

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I could never do that OCI... I would expect a lot of that "patina" would be avoidable with 4-5K max OCI with VWB... depending on the highway use... and a 14 yo car at 110K, I do not think it is getting a lot of big HW miles.

I would keep to 5K with the MS5 and go with a full Syn if you want that 10K interval

As if.
It's been running conventional for 8000 mile intervals and those pics are the end result,and you think he needs a synthetic to eek out a couple thousand more miles.
I ain't buying it. Today's oils are superior to what that engine started with and I'm confident PYB can do 10k mile intervals with ease in that car.
My father in law has a neon,I think its a 2.2 engine maybe. It's got over 300k on it with the cheapest 5w-30 he can find changed every 10k and I'm sure the engine will out live him.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

As if.
It's been running conventional for 8000 mile intervals and those pics are the end result,and you think he needs a synthetic to eek out a couple thousand more miles.
I ain't buying it. Today's oils are superior to what that engine started with and I'm confident PYB can do 10k mile intervals with ease in that car.
My father in law has a neon,I think its a 2.2 engine maybe. It's got over 300k on it with the cheapest 5w-30 he can find changed every 10k and I'm sure the engine will out live him.

I said I could not do it.
smile.gif

For me, it would be about the driving conditions and those can vary too much with the boards here. If I noticed that the car was getting 20K+ miles a year from a lot of long-distance highway driving, then yeah, 10K would be plausible from something like PYB. If it is short-distance driving, I could and would not do it/recommend it. No doubt that modern oil is better but it is one thing to extend the OCI... but doubling it without knowing the driving is a bit iffy to me.

Neons had the 2.0.

Yuppers, all the junk Chrysler got was from Mitsu, 3.0 can you say Valve Guide Update, or the Junk stratified charge 2.6 they got from Mitsu!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

***Correction***

Sorry, no.

These pics show me that 5K mile oil changes on dino are realistic, and 8K is pushing it.

I have a 2.4 turbo and I had the valve cover off at 100K miles, I ran from records, Amsoil 0w-30, Mobil1 5w-30, PP and PU 5w-30 for 6-7K intevals, you could eat off the valve train and ditto the Valve cover.

I wonder about the condition of the ring packs when you sea the varnish like that.

Also I change the PCV valves on my 2.4's every 20K.

Last edited:

***Correction***

Not this one, its us designed and built in trenton....

Hey man. Engine looks great. If it was me 6k would be the number, but heck she's still running good for you so roll with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back