Ideas for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board has some pretty intelligent commentary, so here we go. I currently drive a Subaru Forester as my primary car, but I'm looking for something a little more fun. However, nothing is quite that simple. I need something with all-wheel drive (as it's a winter car), preferably a somewhat dog-friendly interior (not too much froo-froo trim that could get scratched), decent looks and at least 20 MPG combined. Hmmm...not so easy now. Have thought about Mazda CX-5, Ford Escape, BMW X1 and Subaru WRX, among others.

Any ideas? Assume the price ceiling is $40,000 for this purpose.

Thanks much.

This looks like a load of fun. Not sure about AWD.

bladeglider-11-1.jpg

I don't know how much "fun" any of those other crossovers would be. Turbocharged Subaru wagon is your best bet.

THE 1969 PONTIAC GTO JUDGE Would this work??
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 112.0
Weight, lbs: 4,000
Number built: 6,833
Base price: $3,488
Top Available Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 400
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 10.75:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 370 @ 5500
Torque @ rpm: 445 @ 3900
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.2
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.4 @ 98 Under 40K dollars I wish.

A WRX fits the bill nicely given your requirements, but you'd have to buy used or act fast since 2014 is the last year of the hatchback (for now? we'll see).

If automatic transmission is no concern then the X1 sounds like an awesome vehicle too, although it has a nicer interior which makes it a little less of a stress-free dog car. The CX-5 is going to be automatic only in AWD as well IIRC. I would guess it would handle well and drive nicely but won't have nearly the acceleration of the BMW or Subaru.

That's the order they'd be on my list if money and reliability were no concern: WRX, X1, CX-5. Money and reliability higher on the list, then I'd say WRX, CX-5, X1. But as a WRX hatch owner (daily driver and dog car) I'm biased
smile.gif

So you're going to trade in a year old Forester for a different compact SUV because you think it's going to be fun.
Fun might be a WRX. Or a CBR600. Or a Mustang GT. But I wouldn't take a 4 grand bath to upgrade from a forester to a CX-5, that's for sure.

Did they make a turbo version of the Forester anyway? Would a CX-5 be more fun than that? I doubt it.

The 2014 Forester XT is pretty peppy. The WRX or STI are fun too, but without dog space.

For more fun, get a 2008 Audi S4 Avant and keep the dogs in the back.

On one of the forums I used to frequent there was one nut who was open tracking (with setup/suspension mods/tires/brake upgrades of course) his older Forester turbo, so I'm guessing they CAN be "fun" (he did pretty well in it too, from what I remember).
21.gif

There were some awd Volvo wagons based on the mazda3 platform, I imagine they have a little more sport than a normal Subaru.
3 series wagons exist too, and even S and E class Benz wagons in awd, save some of your budget for springs and shocks and get the ride you want.
If you want to search for a unicorn, x-type jag wagons with awd were made too.
Simplest to find with a manual is the Audi a4 or 6 wagons though. I thought about them when shopping for the focus but frugality won out.

Jeeps are always fun, if configured correctly. But, they are not for me....

Subaru has some really good performance offerings. I'm sure you've researched them. And somehow they don't fit either.

You could look for a VW Golf "R" as they are 256HP and AWD. VW's are generally regarded as fun to drive. And the Golf R is the top of the line "fun" VW.

Believe it or not, my 2009 F150 4x4 lariat has become quite a bit more fun after installing the "tune" on it. Woke it right up. It's no longer a doggy vehicle that up-shifts at lightning speed into 6th gear!

I drive a Jaguar X-Type 2.5L V6 with manual trans and AWD. It's a responsive car, and while not really fun to drive, it is, at least, pleasantly responsive, if not gutless.

But, if you want my choice for top pic, based on what you said, it's the Ford Escape Ecoboost 2.0 AWD TITANIUM. I rented that exact one for 2 weeks in California and fell in love with the thing. First and foremost, it is fast, with 240 turbocharged HP and gobs of midrange twist! (some people get them to 0-60 in 6 and 1/4 mile in 14 something) (probably with a tune) . The engine/drivetrain is also very responsive, and the 6 speed automatic transmission is perfectly matched to the engine. No need to manually select gears. It really is that good at picking gears. The 19 inch wheels come with good, grippy tires and the thing handles great. Not just great for a SUV, but downright fun on twisty roads. Steering is responsive and taught. The suspension is fairly long travel and accommodates big hits very well. (important if you drive like me) The AWD was easily able to climb steep gravel and sand hills (where you should never take rental cars) The leather seats have that high-end soy foam, that conforms verrrrry nicely. And, lastly the Sony stereo is quite capable and has very good sound. Honestly, I loved the thing.

I rent cars every week for my job and this one stands out as the most "pleasing to drive" of all the rentals in recent memory! That's a resounding endorsement from me. (by the way, my current DD is a 407HP Turbo S2000)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The 2014 Forester XT is pretty peppy. The WRX or STI are fun too, but without dog space.

For more fun, get a 2008 Audi S4 Avant and keep the dogs in the back.

The WRX has plenty of dog space, depending on your passenger needs. I keep the rear seats folded down in mine most of the time, with a couple layers of blanket down, and there's a ton of room for my 85 lb dog. Granted, if you need the rear seats for passengers all the time, the rear cargo space is a bit tight for a big dog, and the sloping rear window means it would get hot in the sun.

Thanks for the replies (mostly!) Always good to get differing points of view. I don't get too many good perspectives from the wife!

I own an 07' WRX and it's been a great car. I seem to get lots of complements from strangers at gas stations.. . I think the WRX hatch is Ugly however.
I'm questioning why you need a "hotdog" hauler for. You already own a Focus ST for speed and a Forester for utilitarian use.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I own an 07' WRX and it's been a great car. I seem to get lots of complements from strangers at gas stations.. . I think the WRX hatch is Ugly however.
I'm questioning why you need a "hotdog" hauler for. You already own a Focus ST for speed and a Forester for utilitarian use.

I was wondering the same thing. Based on the OPs sig he has 3 brand new cars that fit just about any need.

Road trips/commuter - Volt
Utility/Snow - Forester
Fun - Focus ST

What else could you possibly need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back