General AltiMAX RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the 727 can be from either Korea or China, not a fan of Chinese tires. The rt43 is from Brazil, so are the DWS Continentals I put on my Subaru. I am happy with those tires.

Originally Posted By: rob6773
Also the 727 can be from either Korea or China, not a fan of Chinese tires. The rt43 is from Brazil, so are the DWS Continentals I put on my Subaru. I am happy with those tires.

I'm assuming you're taking this info from Tire Rack's website. Tire Rack was incorrect when they said mine could come from China or Korea. At least, they were incorrect when I bought mine.

I emailed Hankook and asked about it before buying mine, because I won't buy Chinese tires, and they said at that time the H727 for the US market was only made in Korea, not China. I specifically pointed out that Tire Rack said they could come from China, too, and the rep from Hankook said that wasn't correct.

So, if you're considering buying the H727, email them and ask.

Originally Posted By: rob6773

My General AltiMAX RT43 tires are made in the USA!

First I've read of this tire. Also being T rated, looks to be a new competitor to my favorite tire in this class, the Yoko Avid Touring S, all sizes made in US. Acording to TR, looks like the RT43 is divided up between Brazil, US and Mexico.

Had good success with the set of Altimax HP's I had, and at TR the RT43 are currently less expensive than Touring S. Have to see how they do in TR's survey after more miles have been accumulated. Looks good early though.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
First I've read of this tire. Also being T rated, looks to be a new competitor to my favorite tire in this class, the Yoko Avid Touring S, all sizes made in US. Acording to TR, looks like the RT43 is divided up between Brazil, US and Mexico.

Had good success with the set of Altimax HP's I had, and at TR the RT43 are currently less expensive than Touring S. Have to see how they do in TR's survey after more miles have been accumulated. Looks good early though.

The AltiMAX RT43 comes in T and H speed ratings in some sizes. I purchased the H speed rating because I had the option of both in 225/60/17 and that is what came on my Subaru when new. I do see tire rack has very high ratings on the surveys for them now.

I see that 5 out 44 available tires of the RT43 come as H rated including your size. So it's a majority T rated tire. As said, early TR survey results look good, but owing to it's new status that's based on relatively low miles accumulated as compared to other tires in it's class.

These looks quite nice.

I'll be needing to replace my Primacy MXV4 next year due to age rather than wear (they just keep going...) and these look much more bank friendly and easily available than the Nokian's I was looking at.

Now the only decision would be to get the T rated stock size of 225/60/16 or step up to a 235/60/16 and keep the H (OEM) rating.

Honestly, I would be fine with the T rated if I wasn't able to get the H rated. The T rated will get you a little longer tread life and a little more of a comfortable ride. The H will handle a little better and have a stiffer ride. I would be fine with the T in the OEM size if that was all that was available in this tire. It is that good.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
My General AltiMAX RT43 tires are made in the USA!

Likewise, but only because I stepped up to the H-rated version. Had I gone with the 225/65R17 102T, they would have been made in Romania.

Both the T and the H rated tires in my size are made in the USA. I don't see a list of country of origin on their website. Any ideas on how to find out which sizes are made in what country?

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Honestly, I would be fine with the T rated if I wasn't able to get the H rated. The T rated will get you a little longer tread life and a little more of a comfortable ride. The H will handle a little better and have a stiffer ride. I would be fine with the T in the OEM size if that was all that was available in this tire. It is that good.

Thanks for the comments. I looks like they are
225/60/16T 700 AB 75,000 rating made in USA
235/60/16H 700 AA 65,000 rating made in Brazil

About $8/tire difference. I'll likely get whichever one Discount Tire has in stock when I need new rubber. I was planning on trying the Nokian eNTYRE, but cost and lack of availability make me hesitant.

FWIW, my Primacy MXV4 have 47,000 miles on them and 7/32 tread left. I have noticed that they are loosing winter performance as the rubber ages, even though they look minimally worn. I'll probably replace them at around 6 years old next year.

So, far, with snow, my wife is very happy with these tires. Not a ton of snow travel, but some really icy roads last week (black ice) and heavy snow tonight have put them to the test. By the way, they're the H rated, in size 215/65r16.

Just saw the good reviews on tirerack.

I was considering Pirelli P7 or Continental ProContact but these are cheaper and have higher test scores by TireRack.

Do you think these Standard Touring are comparable to Grand Touring tires?

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Just saw the good reviews on tirerack.

I was considering Pirelli P7 or Continental ProContact but these are cheaper and have higher test scores by TireRack.

Do you think these Standard Touring are comparable to Grand Touring tires?

I believe a tire manufacturer can put their tires in whatever class they want to put them in. These AltiMAX RT43 handle similar to all of the "grand touring" tires that I have owned. I believe, as Tire Rack has stated, that these tires are the best handling standard touring tire that there is. I believe Tire Rack even states that they handle like a grand touring tire in the video review if I am not mistaken. Either way, they are excellent tires, especially for the price paid for them.

Thanks for the info - this is kind of a bump but it looks like a newer (improved?) version is out that I'll be testing out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=965HR5AMRT43&fromSurvey=true

It's either this or the Purecontact Ecoplus for me, but I think I'm leaning toward the General Rt43s!

Originally Posted By: kyoo
Thanks for the info - this is kind of a bump but it looks like a newer (improved?) version is out that I'll be testing out:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=965HR5AMRT43&fromSurvey=true

It's either this or the Purecontact Ecoplus for me, but I think I'm leaning toward the General Rt43s!

Major difference between the two I think is that the PureContacts have LRR technology while the RT43s are not rated LRR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back