.Help with buying a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 quads now. One for me and one for the Girlfriend. If we want to take them out some where other than around home I have to beg,borrow or steal a trailer.

Standing them up in the bed of my ford is not an option. I/we simply cant lift the front of her Poo-laris up! That things a tank. My quads too heavy too ,not as heavy as hers but it has a rack on the rear that prevents it from standing straight up. Plus we have the battery acid to deal with.

A small 5x7 trailer works for 1 quad but in order to get a quad in and out of my pickup I must disconnect the trailer.

A larger flat bed trailer will fit both quads and that leaves space in the bed of the truck for other things we bring with us. But a larger trailer will have 4 wheels to buy, repair, rot off in the sun plus it will require a brake controller per Ca law.

So Do I want a small trailer and just hook and unhook it(Which is a real pain in the sand or mud) or a longer trailer that will fit both quads but has much more expense?

how much do the quads weigh?

probably can get by with a single axle. if they are under 800lb each.

has to be braked by law though... doesnt mean they are.

Last edited:
You need a jet ski trailer. They are just like a boat trailer. You just back the trailer down the ramp to launch and load them.

I use my 18ft 7K utility for Jeeps and ATV's. Trailer prices have gone up a lot. Almost worth buying new. Craigslist is hit or miss.

Any way to make some ramps to go from the trailer to the truck gate? I've done that before with my son's 90 in the bed and my 400 in the small trailer.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Id be concerned about those little tires on 40 miles of rocky dirt road.

The load rating of the tires is more important than the physical size. It had 5.30-12 bias ply tires when I got it, they were only rated for about 900 lbs each. With two quads and the weight of the trailer, they were right at capacity if not a little over, the trailer had a tendency to sway, and the tires would get really hot. These tires are radials, 155/80R12. They are a bit smaller, but they're rated for 1500 lbs each. Even with 3 quads, they're not overloaded, the trailer tows great and they barely get warm even on 90°+ days.

You can get a 6x12 single 3500lb axle utility trailer. They have full size tires and you could put some smaller 15" light truck tires on it.
My neighbour had a custom one built to haul his big utility side-by-side and his 4wd diesel lawn mower end to end at the same time. It didn't really cost much more than a 6x12 one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back