long term use of quaker state oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided between delvac and rotella, now, my only issue, i might go rotellamjust so i can get the bbiigg 5gallon bottle!

But i might just buy delvac and forget about it....

I'm totally for (right oil for right app )to, but i own nothing new enough to be crucial to run the correct viscosity...

I may, say i needs be picky about Mt f150 only wanting 5/30and being a 97... that's my newest motor with under 94xxx on it...

What temps does a diesel run at? Or the temp the oil is rated at to endure the shear resistance? I'm thinking about switching to 1540 in my 110ci Harley motor that gets oil 270°at its peak and regularly sits at 200/250

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
I've decided between delvac and rotella, now, my only issue, i might go rotellamjust so i can get the bbiigg 5gallon bottle!

I'm totally for (right oil for right app )to, but i own nothing new enough to be crucial to run the correct viscosity...

I may, say i needs be picky about Mt f150 only wanting 5/30and being a 97... that's my newest motor with under 94xxx on it...

What temps does a diesel run at? Or the temp the oil is rated at to endure the shear resistance? I'm thinking about switching to 1540 in my 110ci Harley motor that gets oil 270°at its peak and regularly sits at 200/250

Delvac, Rotella, Delo 400, & Valvoline premium blue are ALL good choices for your 454 in hot climate, I've ran several big blocks with HDEO with no problems, Probably OK in your Harley, But maybe someone with more air cooled engine experience will chime in.

I would stick with a 5w30 on the F-150.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Delvac, Rotella, Delo 400, & Valvoline premium blue are ALL good choices for your 454 in hot climate, I've ran several big blocks with HDEO with no problems, Probably OK in your Harley, But maybe someone with more air cooled engine experience will chime in.

I'm really thinking it.
15wt is 3times higher then what she calls for, might be too much too soon

Picked up 2 gallons of rotella t 1540 and a Purolator oil filter...Poped the lid on the rotella and that stuff smells wicked.... it reminds me of the (Mobil 530 clean )that I bought a long time ago...

Next trip. I'll be buying the 5gallon pale, maybe...

I'll change the Volvo oil today and start it tomorrow morning before work.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I'm really thinking it.
15wt is 3times higher then what she calls for, might be too much too soon

15wXX is not 3 times thicker than 5wXX oil.

Isn't the base number for dinosaur oil the actual weight of the oil being used? And the determination of how strong/weak the oil is?

My Harley manual showed something about the larger varying numbers between cold start and temp rating the weaker the oil...

Im still unclear about multi grade and its make up. My first bike was straight weight 60 so I had no worries about thinking about oil lolololol

I just don't know how much my 90k mile f150willmthank me if I jump from 5w30 to 15w40.which feels like 2050 gtx imho

Isn't the base number for dinosaur oil the actual weight of the oil being used? And the determination of how strong/weak the oil is?

My Harley manual showed something about the larger varying numbers between cold start and temp rating the weaker the oil...

Im still unclear about multi grade and its make up. My first bike was straight weight 60 so I had no worries about thinking about oil lolololol

I just don't know how much my 90k mile f150willmthank me if I jump from 5w30 to 15w40.which feels like 2050 gtx imho

No. The base number or TBN tells you how much life your oil has. It measures an oils ability to neutralize acids over your OCI. The base number does tell how strong an oil is based on that. This is completely different than base oils. Base oils or base stocks are different groups of oil to make motor oil. An oil gets it weight from flow properties and viscosities at 40c and 100c. You should read motor oil 101 on the home page.

3.0 mercrusier, 89 tbi 350, 85carbed 350 volvo engine, possibly my 85 carbed 454

And no, I don't want a best oil thread, I'm looking at long term use with this oil

Sorry if this was answered already, I only quickly skimmed through before posting. What vehicle has the 89 350tbi? And how many miles are on it?

I have an 89 Camaro with a 305tbi... I'd not run diesel oil in that engine. My sig shows that it has PYB in it now, but it has used other brands also, but all were gas oils, not diesel. I'm not saying you shouldn't run diesel oil in yours, but it would probably be better off with 5w-30 API SM or SM oils, rather than a diesel oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back