2005 Chevy Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^excuse me but my 05 5.3 has a 4L65E^^^

I'm not calling you a liar, but are you sure? I thought the '65 only came paired with the 6.0 in 2005. The 2005 Avalanche was not available with the 6.0.

What does your RPO sticker say?
M30 is the 4L60
M32 is the 4L65

Just to complicate things, RockAuto lists transmission filters for an '05 Avalanche 5.3L for shallow, deep, M30, M32, and M33 RPO codes.

The truck is a bit of a freak, it has a factory tow package and 3.73 gears. It also has DRUM rear brakes as well. Not a very large volume model at all.

But I promise you it really is a 4L65E!

FWIW, all our older 6.0 vans have 4L80E's in them IIRC...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Thanks for all the answers...I feel better about buying a high mileage vehicle now. It does have the tow package, and I'll try to take a look see for the external tranny cooler. I'll be checking and most likely be changing all the fluids in the next few weeks. Is there a drain plug on the tranny pan? I'll probably be putting synthetic in the tranny and diff, but use conventional oil in the engine....unless I use synthetic in the engine. LOL! Thanks

The 4L60E had a drain plug from '98-'03, '04 & up does not, All '98 & up 4l60E pans are the deep version. Drop the pan, Change filter, Clean magnet & pan.

Correct, my uncles 2003 SS has a drain plug on the pan and torque converter as well as a fuel filter, and disc brakes all around.

My cousins 04 just has a plug on the pan, but still a fuel filter and discs.

My 05 doesn't have any plugs or a fuel filter, and drums.

As GM was moving towards bankruptcy they were taking pennies out of their trucks. The 14's seem to be like the 90's trucks with lots of nice little features.

Last edited:

Now that's a pretty beefy transmission. 3/4 or 1 ton, I assume?

Originally Posted By: strat81

Now that's a pretty beefy transmission. 3/4 or 1 ton, I assume?

All our vans are 3500 models. Our Silverados are all 1500 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.

You haven't seen beefy until you get to drive the 6L90E in our newer 3500 Express vans with the 6.0 VVT motors. They are really sweet!

Last edited:
The truck is a bit of a freak, it has a factory tow package and 3.73 gears. It also has DRUM rear brakes as well. Not a very large volume model at all.

But I promise you it really is a 4L65E!

There are ALOT of trucks configured that way, 3:73's give a higher GCWR, All '05 & up 1500 GMT800's have rear drum brakes & bigger front disc.

A 4L65E was not factory installed behind a 5.3L, I'm not trying to be an a$$...Just that I've built hundreds of these transmissions.

No offense man, but do you know how many Silverados were made? Even if you worked on a thousand you only saw a very small number of them! Say whatever you believe, but my truck really does have a 4L65E in it. We own a lot of these trucks, we are not at our first rodeo here and we use a Factory Authorized upfitter with GM engineers consulting in-house for our fleet trucks so we get a lot of inside info straight from GM.

I'd be willing to bet you've never seen a direct plug in module to control GM DBW software and give you 3 engine speeds for staionary operation of PTO driven equipment either. And it keeps all factory warranty intact!

Just a note, when we purchased this truck in 05 it was extremely difficult to find anything with that gearing, it's part of a nifty tow package that includes a front disc package that not a single parts store can EVER find the pieces for. The rotors and calipers are bigger than anything in the parts catalog at any major retailer. Only the stealership can find them by VIN.

My truck is the same way, getting front brakes for it are a PITA. First time I ordered parts they were all to small.

I guess the company that ordered my truck got that package.

Carquest can get them, I think they said they were SS front brakes or something like that.

I downloaded all the RPO numbers for the 2005 Avalanche the other day and checked them off from my sticker in the glove box. Mine has the L59 5.3 SFI flex fuel engine, and The M30 4 speed transmission. It also lists the MN8 transmission as a heavy duty 4 speed automatic. Mine has the GU6 rear axle with a 3.42 gear ratio. It also lists the GT4 3.73 ratio and the GT5 4.10 ratios. Mine also has the G80 heavy duty locking differential, the Z66 premium on road sospension package, and the Z82 heavy duty trailering package. Mine has 4 wheel disc brakes as well. Mine is a 2 wd 1500 with the 5.3 engine.

No offense man, but do you know how many Silverados were made? Even if you worked on a thousand you only saw a very small number of them! Say whatever you believe, but my truck really does have a 4L65E in it. We own a lot of these trucks, we are not at our first rodeo here and we use a Factory Authorized upfitter with GM engineers consulting in-house for our fleet trucks so we get a lot of inside info straight from GM.

I'd be willing to bet you've never seen a direct plug in module to control GM DBW software and give you 3 engine speeds for staionary operation of PTO driven equipment either. And it keeps all factory warranty intact!

Just a note, when we purchased this truck in 05 it was extremely difficult to find anything with that gearing, it's part of a nifty tow package that includes a front disc package that not a single parts store can EVER find the pieces for. The rotors and calipers are bigger than anything in the parts catalog at any major retailer. Only the stealership can find them by VIN.

No offense taken :), Upfitter usually doesn't mess with powertrain items, Dual alternators, PTO controls, Plow prep, Emergency vehicle prep etc. etc. I believe....4L65E behind a 5.3L I don't.

The 5.3L in a truck chassis doesn't have an "Optional" transmission, M30 4L60E only. If you had it special ordered & got approved by engineering, I "guess" it's possible.

Do you mind posting a picture of the SPID/RPO sticker?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I downloaded all the RPO numbers for the 2005 Avalanche the other day and checked them off from my sticker in the glove box. Mine has the L59 5.3 SFI flex fuel engine, and The M30 4 speed transmission. It also lists the MN8 transmission as a heavy duty 4 speed automatic. Mine has the GU6 rear axle with a 3.42 gear ratio. It also lists the GT4 3.73 ratio and the GT5 4.10 ratios. Mine also has the G80 heavy duty locking differential, the Z66 premium on road sospension package, and the Z82 heavy duty trailering package. Mine has 4 wheel disc brakes as well. Mine is a 2 wd 1500 with the 5.3 engine.

The Avalanche is built on an SUV chassis, The SUV chassis kept rear disc, The 1500 trucks have Drum brakes from '05 on.

MN8 is a 4L85E, Comes standard in a 2500 Avalanche along with a 8.1L Vortec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back