STI Sports Oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone cut one open? I always wondered who makes Subaru Tecnica International's oil filters and whether it's worth buying for those with a leadfoot...

Well, I was browsing through the Japanese STI parts catalog and came across this:

http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/oilfilter/oilfilter.pdf
found on: http://www.sti.jp/parts/catalogue/blbp_legacy/cat2.html

I doubt anyone here has cut open an expensive STI Sports Oil filter, but judging by the picture, anyone know who makes the oil filter? Is it still Tokyo Roki (sp?) like the black Japanese Subaru OEM oil filters?

It is basically a Denso design, good, I like Denso's but would just buy a Denso. Trust me you are not getting any super special filter when you get this. Just stick to what you can get around here for a decent price. I don't know if I'm still tipsy from New Year's but I feel a Fram EXTENDED GUARD is what you need. It is one of the best filters out there IMO....

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
It is basically a Denso design, good, I like Denso's but would just buy a Denso. Trust me you are not getting any super special filter when you get this. Just stick to what you can get around here for a decent price. I don't know if I'm still tipsy from New Year's but I feel a Fram EXTENDED GUARD is what you need. It is one of the best filters out there IMO....

You are still tipsy. I'm pretty sure I do NOT want a Fram Extended Guard. Teflon FTL.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Those oil jugs are definitely Motul.

It's pretty obvious, especially when all of Subaru's factory race teams use it. Also, the Motul logo on the "SWRT Racing Oil" is what gives it away. Only difference between the STI Motul and "regular" Motul is the artwork on the bottles lol

I'd like to thank you all for replying! Thanks, and all the more to love about BITOG!

Anyone know if Denso makes Subaru-specific oil filters with the Subaru-spec bypass valve???

There aren't many filters with metal screen backing of the media. Looks like a quality filter.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Actually the fram Xtended guard is really a good filter, you are thinking of the high mileage one.

It's similar to the Tough Guard then, right? Those are pretty good.

Again, anyone know if Denso offers their oil filters in the Subaru-spec bypass valve? What concerns me is that the part number that is for my Subaru [150-1006] seems to be a universal fit oil filter for more than just Subarus.

Anyone care to verify? I can't ask Denso, since it says on their "Contact Us" disclaimer, they note that they do NOT release to the public any specs of their products

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/contact.php
Quote:
BEFORE SENDING AN EMAIL, PLEASE NOTE:

* DENSO cannot and will not release any proprietary information regarding product specifications nor offer products other than those listed on this website in the aftermarket.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: AWDfreak
Actually the fram Xtended guard is really a good filter, you are thinking of the high mileage one.

Again, anyone know if Denso offers their oil filters in the Subaru-spec bypass valve? What concerns me is that the part number that is for my Subaru [150-1006] seems to be a universal fit oil filter for more than just Subarus.

Anyone care to verify? I can't ask Denso, since it says on their "Contact Us" disclaimer, they note that they do NOT release to the public any specs of their products

Quote:

* DENSO cannot and will not release any proprietary information regarding product specifications nor offer products other than those listed on this website in the aftermarket.

21.gif

No, the Extra and Tough guard both have the cardboard endcaps with different media, while the XtendedGuard has the synthetic media, stainless wire backing, metal caps, and a silicone ADBV, probably the filter I would choose if I ever did a 10k + OCI.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
It is basically a Denso design, good, I like Denso's but would just buy a Denso. Trust me you are not getting any super special filter when you get this.

Well, if it truly is a Denso, and the black Denso oil filter designed to fit Subarus (and many other cars) does NOT have the Subaru-spec valve, that's the only thing that makes the STI oil filter special, the Subaru-spec bypass valve...

But for now, I still have no idea.

Originally Posted By: AWDfreak

Quote:

21.gif

No, the Extra and Tough guard both have the cardboard endcaps with different media, while the XtendedGuard has the synthetic media, stainless wire backing, metal caps, and a silicone ADBV, probably the filter I would choose if I ever did a 10k + OCI.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

For those of you looking for something new here because of this recent post, IGNORE THIS POST.

I really hate reviving threads, but I just wanted to put the part number so that those doing research on this will get this as a result.

The part number is:
ST152084S000

How to get specification of this oil filter SUBARU (STI) 152084S000 (dimension, bypass value PSID, GPM, ADBV, ...)
?

How much are filtration efficiency and max flow of ST152084S000?

And also ST152084s000 (FB specific)?

p.s. STI Sports Oil Filter P/N ST15208ST000 [new FB-specific] or ST152084S000 [old Subaru-specific] (if possible)

Last edited:
STi doesn't look like a JDM Denso filter to me with that internal construction. Surely it's Tokyo Roki.

I've tried the Cusco before, nicely made filters. But for about 1/3rd the price I can get WIX XP which are just as well made & use wire backed synthetic media. I'm currently running one with Motul 300V, great combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back