Classic VWs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt and I want to fix up an old VW Beetle. We are thinking of 60's and 70's but it has to run and have no rust (not so hard to find in Arizona). We're thinking in the $2000-2500 range or so, paint doesn't matter cause we'll have it repainted and interior doesn't matter too much either, just needs to have a good running foundation. What are some good years? Other than not being the most reliable thing on the road, what is there to know about them? It won't be a daily driver.

She's decided she has to have an old one to fit in with the other 2 TDI's.
2chs7ls.jpg

How much money do you plan on putting in it? 10k? 15k?

There's a '71 on pheonix Craigslist now that looks turnkey for $3900. Btw, I've never heard of someone restoring a car with their aunt before, that's different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
...Other than not being the most reliable thing on the road, what is there to know about them? It won't be a daily driver...

Yikes! I could literally write volumes on this subject - my suggestion - pay the money and get one you don't have to restore. You will never regret that!

I would stay away from Super Beetles,EFI and convertibles.Basically 71 and prior.Probably 69-71 with IRS rear.The swingaxle setup is dangerous.

A day late! My dads 70 sat in his garage for 3 decades. Not a scratch or chip. Interier still had that vw smell. When i cleaned out the garage i practically gave it away just to get rid of it.

Pre-'67 models are more desirable, and therefore more expensive. I prefer ~'62 and earlier due to the designs of the front fenders and taillights. Don't expect much for less than $2,500...probably won't even get you a running vehicle.

Pick up a copy of John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" (affectionately referred to as the "Idiot's Guide") if you plan to restore or do any minor wrenching on an air-cooled veedub.

Also, check out http://www.thesamba.com/vw/, which has a classifieds section that will help you get a good idea of market values for vehicles in various conditions and locations.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
How much money do you plan on putting in it? 10k? 15k?

There's a '71 on pheonix Craigslist now that looks turnkey for $3900. Btw, I've never heard of someone restoring a car with their aunt before, that's different.

Haha sounds weird I know. I'm 19, she wants a cool old Bug. My dad has done body work for 25 years and can help me out with that. She'll help with seats and carpet and "stuff to pretty it up"

They are fun and easy to work on. I restored this 58 36HP convertible. I bought it for $100. Restored it over a 10 year period. Get a pre-67 one - they are all metal and a lot more rugged.

PICT0088_zpsc2251798.jpg

I had a '66 but I always thought the '69 was the best. Bigger motor and better suspension, 12v system. Still had the classic body compared to the super beetle.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
A day late! My dads 70 sat in his garage for 3 decades. Not a scratch or chip. Interier still had that vw smell. When i cleaned out the garage i practically gave it away just to get rid of it.

That's so weird that you mentioned "that VW smell", I swear when I read that I had a deja vu moment where I actually could smell what a mid-60's VW was like, having traveled many thousands of miles in them. It is very distinct and if you have smelled it you know what the OP and I am talking about.

I thought "that VW smell" was the mix of unwashed, long-haired guys, burning oil, and ganja?

Or was that only the vans?
laugh.gif

They still built new ones in mexico in the 2000s if you cant find a good old one to fix up.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I thought "that VW smell" was the mix of unwashed, long-haired guys, burning oil, and ganja?

Or was that only the vans?
laugh.gif

Lol

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
Originally Posted By: Chris142

That's so weird that you mentioned "that VW smell", I swear when I read that I had a deja vu moment where I actually could smell what a mid-60's VW was like, having traveled many thousands of miles in them. It is very distinct and if you have smelled it you know what the OP and I am talking about.

Not sure what the smell is in a classic VW, but I know the new ones smell like Crayons. Horse hair in the leather seats.

Originally Posted By: dareo
They still built new ones in mexico in the 2000s if you cant find a good old one to fix up.

I doubt they can be imported due to safety and emissions issues.

You could register a 1989 or older model. Or get a 1991 and restore it for two years then register it. Going down there, finding one, paying the mexican owner to drive it up then sell it would be a lot of work though.

I guess they don't let you cross the border driving mexican plated vehicles if you are US citizen.

I would stay away from Super Beetles,EFI and convertibles.Basically 71 and prior.Probably 69-71 with IRS rear.The swingaxle setup is dangerous.

might wanna stay away from the auto stick too...
great cars to work on... About 4 tools and you can completely disassemble on. When you look, check the floor...
here in upstate ny, I live near 2 giant VW graveyards... we had 4 beetles, go up to the junkyards and grab a motor...
fun project.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: dareo

I doubt they can be imported due to safety and emissions issues.

For a while (and it may still happen), people were driving junker VW's to Mexico, and "restoring" them with "newer parts", which took about 24 hours in total. (What actually happens should be pretty obvious...)

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I would stay away from Super Beetles...

I liked my Super Beetle....

...until I bumped a parking curb and bent back the strut rod mount.

Forever pulled to one side after that.

It was a small bump so it had probably been damaged before. But it did handle pretty well up to that point and had better flow through ventilation than my earlier torsion bar Beetle.

No love for the EFI or Automatic Stickshift here either. If I want an old air cooled manual transmission with an automatic clutch, I will get a Honda Trail 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back