Ram ProMaster van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best headline for the Ram Promaster, courtesy of Jalopnik:

Quote:
Non-Van Ram Man May Buy ProMaster Van, Become Pro-ProMaster Ram Van Master-Man

You there! Are you a man who likes Rams, but not vans? Then you should consider buying the Ram ProMaster van, and then you'll become a man who is both for the ProMaster Ram Van and a master man.

IMO, FWD is useless for carrying heavy loads or towing, as adding weight at the rear either doesn't change or reduces drive traction, rather than increasing it. If I needed a van, something like this would be solidly at the bottom of my list.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

And why wouldn't it be a Fiat? They own Chrysler now...

Naw you don't say...

confused.gif

I thought that was fairly obvious... so obvious in fact I felt like it went without saying...
crackmeup2.gif

Its a Fiat, Dodge/Ram is turning into just a name. Fiat is going to gut Chrysler in 10 years, keep the names that make money, scrap the ones that don't and start selling Fiat's.

Ram is going to be the trucks/commercial since Fiat doesn't make pickup trucks.
SRT is performance.
Chrysler will be luxury.
Fiat will be mainstream.
Jeep will be offroad and SUV's or spun off/sold.

Dodge will be joining Oldsmobile and Pontiac in the sky after they take it out behind the shed and shoot it.

Last edited:
I test drove a 159"WB 3500 high roof recently. I liked the low floor, the huge opening rear and sliding doors that allow you load palletized stuff with a forklift no problem. The turning radius was tight for a vehicle its size and although i drove it empty, the Pentastar V6 had decent power. The way it's geared it should do ok when loaded also. The cab had seats for 3 and lots of stuff for todays electronic gadgets. USB, aux input, 12v power outs, bluetooth with steering wheel control for it and audio. Also handy were the clipboard built into the center armrest, overhead bins for things and rear view cam.

They'll sell lots of them.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
IMO, FWD is useless for carrying heavy loads or towing, as adding weight at the rear either doesn't change or reduces drive traction, rather than increasing it. If I needed a van, something like this would be solidly at the bottom of my list.

Sachs Nivomats solve that issue nicely. They're on my car and they are an amazing self leveling shock with no other parts on the car!

Raising the rear end will still make all of the weight over the rear axle. If the load is behind the rear axle, it will , in effect, take weight off of the front axle. Same as with towing a trailer.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Raising the rear end will still make all of the weight over the rear axle. If the load is behind the rear axle, it will , in effect, take weight off of the front axle. Same as with towing a trailer.

While you are technically correct think like a truck owner for a minute.

Where is that rear axle? When it is so close to the butt end of the vehicle like it is in this one there is no way you can put serious weight BEHIND that same axle.

As far as towing goes, I would never recommend FWD for towing much of anything...

I tow quite a bit a FWD with no problems. Seeing that most fwd's isn't rated to tow more than 5k and that in self is a good load fine for most people. All comes down the engine/trans combo, overhang passed the rear axle etc.. no different that RWD's.

They have a long line of these things on Metcalf. Don't look half bad in person.

^^^Exactly. Typical framing contractor who tows a small trailer occasionally will LOVE these vehicles, they are obviously NOT real heavy duty trucks like our 3500 RWD service vans...

My framers like LWB 3500's because they can fill them with [censored] and they are cheap to buy and run.

Just like the Sprinter if the price point is to high they won't get much market penetration.

Nissan is selling their vans like hot cakes to utility companies because they are under bidding GM and Ford.

More Euro Trash vans, just what we need. This one has been coming for a while though, and I think Ram Vans died in 2002 IIRC.

Soldier on Express/Savannah and full size NVs, you are the last of your kind!

It's a shame Ford is jumping on the tiny engine tin van bandwagon with the Transit. The E-Series is a seriously heavy duty vehicle built like nothing else in the "light duty" segment anymore. The big [censored] I-beams in the front suspension could eat a Euro van for lunch. It's a politically incorrect vehicle though...big, with a big engine, and lots of heavy metal throughout. It isn't a green tin van throwaway. I think these days a lot of businesses will "go green" rather than buy a van that will last 15-30 years, though I don't see how junking disposable tin vans will be green.

Interesting that when Nissan decided to get into commercial vans, they went with the tried and true enclosed pickup truck concept rather than a throwaway piece of foil.

Is the Iveco Daily a FWD now? I haven't seen one in years. I haven't seen an Iveco in years. It seems like Isuzu took over the bobtail import market and rebadged Mercedes Sprinters (Freightliners) are the high roof van of choice.

Last Iveco Daily I saw was a dual rear wheel passenger bus.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Is the Iveco Daily a FWD now?...

Ah, I think you are right the Daily is rear wheel drive... it does appear to use Fiat engines and Iveco is "- A CNH INDUSTRIAL COMPANY" and CNH INDUSTRIAL COMPANY was "created from the merger of Fiat Industrial and CNH Global",

Appears the Daily slots above the Ducato in payload...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back