0w-30 Mobile1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of making this my usual change for my 2014 Altima. Nissan recommends both 0w-20 and 5w-30.

If I understand right 0w is easier for cold start ups, and 30 gives better wear protection than 20. So am I right in assuming that 0w-30 would give the easiest cold start and best protection?

I'll be matching this with a Nissan or perhaps a Motorcraft filter.

Last edited:
30 does not necessarily give better wear protection. Thicker is not always better. That being said, a 0w30 will work fine in place of a 5w30.

I would use the 0w20 unless the car sees severe usage on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dparm
I would use the 0w20 unless the car sees severe usage on a regular basis.

+1

+2 20wt oil with the reasonable OCI has kept my F150 happy!

Unless you are regularity achieving oil temps above 240ishF there really isn't any need for a thicker oil not that going thicker would really hurt anything though.
Think of it this way. Your engine requires a film of oil on the moving parts. If oils temps aren't high enough to compromise the oils film strength then the parts are separated,and a thicker film of oil will do nothing but increase drag.
You require an oil film and a thicker film gains nothing unless you are seriously heating up the oil and those temps affect the oils film strength.
I'm using a 5w-20 in my hemi. My last hemi was an 04 ram quad cab 4x4. It had 280k on it when I totalled it.
I bought it with service records and the oil was changed by the dealer every 5000 miles with conventional bulk oil.
That truck ran like a top,consumed no oil whatsoever and I couldn't tell a power difference from it vs my dads 2012 ram,so today's 20 grade oils are proven to keep engines running just fine for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
That being said going a grade thicker won't hurt, it is unnecessary though unless you are experiencing sustained elevated oil temps and require a thicker oil to compensate.

Picking the right oil for the engine type and tolerance stack is most important. Some may do well on a 5w20 other swell on a 10w30. Most oil are marginally additised with EP AW so "quality" viscosity may be more important than in the heyday of ton's O'moly and double the phos. Amoung the current ILSAC oils Shell Ultra and BP Edge with Ti are leaders and QSUD and QSGB are the bargains.

Note that acheiving the 0w rating will lead to some healthy performance compromises on a 5 dollar a Litre oil.

Maybe you want to keep a bit of the Ford in play in the Tennessee Renault Altima and run some Kendall GT1 Synthetic!
smile.gif
if Honda and Ford BOTH trust Conoco-Phillips to make a good OEM branded oil - how bad could it be? Maybe The FORD Synthetic ( also C-P made stuff).

Mobil 1 is just also ran. Mobile 1 is a telephone company(?)

Biggest advice: Stay away from the garbage China-sourced Nissan service replacement Filters -- miles !

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Mobile 1 is a telephone company(?)

Third largest city in Alabama.
laugh.gif

Note that acheiving the 0w rating will lead to some healthy performance compromises on a 5 dollar a Litre oil.

confused.gif

By this logic M1 0w-40 is a big 'ol batch of compromises too..... Weird how it manages to obtain all those OEM approvals then eh?
wink.gif

Biggest advice: Stay away from the garbage China-sourced Nissan service replacement Filters -- miles !

I don't think the OEM filters are that awful. How many millions of Nissans have used those and racked up 250k+? Anecdotal evidence for you: my family has owned 4 Infinitis over the last 15 years and they've all been trouble-free after using those "garbage" filters.

ok I'm going to bite there is so much just plain wrong there but.... how to you determine the ""tolerance stack"" for an engine unless you build it yourself or tear it down and blueprint it?
Picking the right oil for the engine type and tolerance stack is most important. Some may do well on a 5w20 other swell on a 10w30. Most oil are marginally additised with EP AW so "quality" viscosity may be more important than in the heyday of ton's O'moly and double the phos.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I don't think the OEM filters are that awful. How many millions of Nissans have used those and racked up 250k+? Anecdotal evidence for you: my family has owned 4 Infinitis over the last 15 years and they've all been trouble-free after using those "garbage" filters.
I thought the latest round of NISSAN filters was made in Mexico by Gonher now?

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner

If you're doing the severe service interval, I'd stick with a 5w-30 conventional. If you're going the longer one, the synthetic 0w-20 would definitely be worth considering. As for a filter, buy by price, within reason. If you can get the Nissan or Motorcrafts at a good price, go for it. I've used the Motorcraft in my G. The best bang for my buck, though, has been the Bosch Premium.

Im no expert on the subject, but the way I understand it is that M1 0w30 only has better start up protection in very cold temps and that the 5w30 flavor is actually thinner at mild temps. I also hear that the 0w is thicker at operating temp. But dont take my word for it, im sure one of the experts has better info on the subject.

On the subject of thick vs thin, im a thick guy. Seems like we are the only country in the world who likes thin oil. Same engine overseas is spec'd for a thicker oil (sometimes) so im not buying it. Long as you have good oil pressure though I dont think it matters all that much.

I haven't yet had the chance to try M1 0w30 but I would like to. Im really in love with the M1 0w40 though! It runs very well in my 5w20 spec'd engine with no noticeable negative impact. I even get the same mpg.

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
I'm thinking of making this my usual change for my 2014 Altima. Nissan recommends both 0w-20 and 5w-30.

If I understand right 0w is easier for cold start ups, and 30 gives better wear protection than 20. So am I right in assuming that 0w-30 would give the easiest cold start and best protection?

Since Nissan recommends both 0w20 and 5w30, IMO a 0w30 should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: Rand
ok I'm going to bite there is so much just plain wrong there but.... how to you determine the ""tolerance stack"" for an engine unless you build it yourself or tear it down and blueprint it?
The sound of one rod rapping
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back