1MZFE 187,500 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're going to wait for a water pump failure? That's one component I'd rather not wait till it fails.

The belt itself usually looks pristine at changeout. However, the idler and tensioner pulleys will fail before the belt.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
Has your TB looked worn at 90k? I have been going by the original owners manual supplement that only calls for a TB replacement, at 90k, for "heavy commercial use". Otherwise no apparent replacement recommended. I plan to only replace when the water pump needs replacement.

Thanks for the info. What time or mileage is your experience on idler/pulley replacement?

Thanks for the info. What time or mileage is your experience on idler/pulley replacement?

A complete OEM kit (Aisin) can be had for $140. Why not just buy the kit and replace at every TB change? It's cheap insurance.

Well, the one time I didn't change the idler and pulley with the belt (the first change) it failed about 20,000 miles later. The engine started making a knocking noise at a certain RPM, almost like rod knock (the pulleys are bolted directly to the head and/or block). The dealer in town diagnosed it for free for me when I had it in for something else. The tech pulled back the timing cover and as the engine was revved, you could see the idler "hop" or wobble when it made the noise. He said it was common if you didn't replace the pulleys at the same time as the belt
smile.gif

And I agree with the comment about buying the Aisin kit and putting it all in. You can't go wrong with that kit.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're going to wait for a water pump failure? That's one component I'd rather not wait till it fails.

The belt itself usually looks pristine at changeout. However, the idler and tensioner pulleys will fail before the belt.

Has your TB looked worn at 90k? I have been going by the original owners manual supplement that only calls for a TB replacement, at 90k, for "heavy commercial use". Otherwise no apparent replacement recommended. I plan to only replace when the water pump needs replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back