I Have an Interview with an Oil Company Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an accountant by trade, and I have an initial phone interview with a company that blends oil for their own lines and contract customers. They are also into automotive parts on the wholesale side. Google can probably tell you who it is by my location, but I ask that you don't mention it in this thread. Thanks.

My only question is, do I mention that I'm a member here at BITOG or do I save that little fact for the negotiation process?
wink.gif

Actually, this has me a little excited as I've always been into cars and automotive maintenance. That's the reason that I found this place, and now I'm a full blown case of oil OCD on top of it. This is a job that I would really be passionate about the products the company sells, which I will be certain to mention during the "why are you looking for a new job" portion of the interview.

Here's hoping that I can say exactly what the HR director wants to hear.

I might mention it if it's entry level since it shows some passion about the job which many applicants don't have. Sets you apart from the others which is very important. I'd mention how long you've been on here and the number of posts.

Congrats and good luck on the interview. just be yourself and energetic. they must have like something on your resume / application. any chance you can score me a discount once you get it ....just kidding lol !

I would not mention BITOG. Do you belong to any professional organisations? SAE? IEEE? ASME?

If I frequented NORIA I might casually mention it but not BITOG.

Don't mention BITOG. They may worry you may spill trade secrets.

I'd take the audi and mention it's running Edge, however. Bring a picture on your phone.

But will you be doing accountant type work there? They may want "boring".

Some clarificaton for my OP. The job is an upper level management job in accounting, so I won't be out in the warehouse or working in the lab (although that could be interesting).

The mentioning of BITOG was a bit of a joke, as the woman that I'll be talking with probably has no knowledge of this site.

I've reviewed some of the online stuff about the typical questions that they ask over the phone and have been brushing up on my canned answers. Usually I'm more of a "say it like it is" type of person, but I know that that doesn't always go over too well. So I'll play the game a bit and spin my answers so they resemble what they typically look for in the personality questions they ask.

Also, both of my SILs are in HR so they clued me in on what kind of answers they look for in these questions, so I'm feeling pretty confident.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't mention BITOG. They may worry you may spill trade secrets.
^^^This.^^^

Unless they ask you about BITOG specifically.

Cut to the chase Mr, if you DO get the job will you be able to hook us up with some free/discounted jugs of oil?
laugh.gif

Just kidding...best of luck!!!
smile.gif

If you tell them you are a member of this site, make sure you look over EVERY POST YOU EVER MADE HERE!! Companies are very sensitive about social media.

Get my drift?

Sounds promising.

I hope the company has a good "feel" to it.

Some places you walk into, and you might get the impression they perform public canings twice a day from looking at the oppressed and down-trodden workforce.
I interviewed at Hittite Microwave in Mass. and that place had the worst feel of anything short of Goldstar (LG) in So. Korea in the 80's.

Hope it works out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back