Inaccurate fuel gauge on 1995 Buick Roadmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Roadmaster with 55k miles. I am wondering if this is an easy DIY fix. The gauge's behavior isn't erratic in my opinion. I had one minor incident where it completely sputtered out of gas while the gauge read just under a quarter tank, with no low fuel indicator to alert me beforehand (Not to mention the light has come on before). Lucky for me I was close to a QuikTrip.

The gauge doesn't even drop like a rock after the needle reaches half a tank. It's just not calibrated correctly. Minor electrical work is in my ballpark but this leaves me stumped.

How would one calibrate a sending unit to read out accurately??

Last edited:
Bottle of Chevron Techron. A number of guys on here have used it to fix the same problem you mentioned.

Try the Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner first as was suggested, use the 20oz bottle.
If that doesn't work you will have to replace the sending unit (i believe you need to drop the tank on this one) or live with it.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Bottle of Chevron Techron. A number of guys on here have used it to fix the same problem you mentioned.

^ This

I've read about a strong dose of techron helping and I've also read many times that mmo fixed the issue as well as using tc-w3 or seafoam.
Point being is that the float in the sender may be stuck and that's what's causing the issue. Cleaning the deposits that's causing the float to stick and lubricating the float itself so it slides easier all can help fix the problem.
Personally I'd try attacking it from 2 sides. I'd use mmo treated a bit stronger than the instructions AND buy the biggest bottle of techron I can find and add it to the tank too.
Try that with 2 tanks of fuel. If it doesn't work by the end of the second tank you can either drop the tank and replace the part or live with it.
We had a caprice with the same issue. Tc-w3 in the fuel with every tank kept it from recurring but to get it loose I think I poured a quart of acetone in the fuel along with a quart of tranny fluid(I was a teenager/pre bitog/pre-any sensibility at all) and what got it loose was all that stuff and a washboard gravel road.
Tc-w3 made it never get stuck again afterwards.

+1 on the cleaners.
Any of the Techron, MMO, TCW3, or Redline Fuel System cleaners will work wonders.
Give it at least 2 tanks back to back to work.

And please keep us notified of any progress or lack there of.

I would consider just replacing the Sender along with the Fuel Pump...If the pump is original, It's approaching 20 years old.

Love the LT1 B/D-bodies!!

The TECHRON recommendation is right on point. GM even has a Bulletin that mentions that same repair. I have used it to fix sending units in the past as well - try that first as it certainly is a cheap fix and cleaning your fuel system is a plus even if it doesn't work. Be sure to get enough as many times the bottles on the shelf only treat 12 gallons so get 2 or find the large bottle. I would run a high concentrated dose the first tank then run another tank at the normal dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back