Timing chain issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put this here because I didn't know where it otherwise belonged so forgive me if I'm wrong.
I have a Chevrolet Equinox that has done just 30,000 miles in two years from new. It has always been dealer serviced but last week it needed a replacement timing chain! Now OK it was done under warranty, but now I'm nervous. Do I keep or get rid?

those engines are hard on oil and they were set to too long an oci. Also parts were updated.

I wouldnt worry about it.

If it,s because they can prove it,s because they have a series of bad chains. And the new one is improved. I think your fine. If not I would have trouble sleeping at night.

In witch way did it fail?

It depends if the dealership fixed it correctly. Since you have a 100k powertrain warrenty see what happens. If something fails again then I would get rid of it.

Last edited:
What year? What engine? Oil type? Did it fail outright, or just noisy and the dealer noticed?

I know some Ecotecs had TSB s on the timing chain oiler.

I know it was hinted at above. But it's clear that extended oil change intervals are tough on internal chains. This is the case with Ford modular engines, Chevy small blocks, and now the balancer chains on modern engines.

We can argue about UOA results all day long. But the real world results are clear. Some engines suffer chain issues with extended drain intervals. And, I'm sure the chosen viscosity is part of the issue too.

Sure, the parts are better. But they are still conventional chains. And the stress levels did not change.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I know it was hinted at above. But it's clear that extended oil change intervals are tough on internal chains. This is the case with Ford modular engines, Chevy small blocks, and now the balancer chains on modern engines.

We can argue about UOA results all day long. But the real world results are clear. Some engines suffer chain issues with extended drain intervals. And, I'm sure the chosen viscosity is part of the issue too.

Sure, the parts are better. But they are still conventional chains. And the stress levels did not change.

Back in the late 1960s I had a Mustang with a 289 V8 and no one ever talked about timing chains or tensioners. They were just bulletproof. Then timing belts and now back to timing chains, but now less sturdy.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Back in the late 1960s I had a Mustang with a 289 V8 and no one ever talked about timing chains or tensioners. They were just bulletproof. Then timing belts and now back to timing chains, but now less sturdy.

Timing belts are asinine.

Let's save $20 when manufacturing a car, only to cost the owners of the car multiple thousands of dollars ...

No. Long Chains are unrelaible and foam the oil. A dry timing system is preferred. Agreed the maitenence of the belts should be easier regardless of packaging.

Ive NEVER had a trouble free to 100K wet chain timing system (OHC). Trouble, trouble, trouble.

OHV short chains on V8/6 are not typically a reliability issue but THOSE are nylon gear overmolded and were usually toast at 100K also.

I like chains over belts, but I have never liked having yards and yards of chain flailing around at high rpm. A nice short chain to the cam in the center of the block works for me. I rarely have to work on them, too.

I like pushrods for packaging, there's a reason the new Vette has the LOWEST center of gravity Car and Driver has ever measured in any car!

The Nox has a new chain that is supposedly improved, I'm sure that issue is being put to bed when combined with more conservative OLM programming.

The long OCI on these engines isn't helping any, major reason why GM went back and reprogrammed the OLM on the Lambda platform vehicles. Our 08 Acadia used to go close to 10k with the OLM after the reprogram it was down to 5k max and now our new 2011 Acadia hits 5k ever time when down to 10% OLM. To me either keep it simple and do 3k oil changes with conventional or 5k changes with PAO synthetic.

As for timing belts, yep they cost more to maintain to a point but like in Honda's changing the belt every 100K isn't that bad if the rest of the vehicle didn't nickle and dime you to death by that point.

Thats why quality oil's have an defoamant as part of their balanced additive pack.

Also arco from previous posts you seem to have trouble with all engines
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No. Long Chains are unrelaible and foam the oil. A dry timing system is preferred. Agreed the maitenence of the belts should be easier regardless of packaging.

Ive NEVER had a trouble free to 100K wet chain timing system (OHC). Trouble, trouble, trouble.

OHV short chains on V8/6 are not typically a reliability issue but THOSE are nylon gear overmolded and were usually toast at 100K also.

Last edited:

I have never had a timing chain issue. OHC or OHV. Some engines well over 200K. All at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Yes some early 3.6 engines had timing chain issues. GM extended the coverage for these to 120k miles/10 years regardless of ownership. Most models effected were CTS, Traverse and Acadia and variants. Years affected are mostly 2008-9's. I had the chains done on my 2008 CTS and my Dad had his 2008 CTS chains done too. His at 42k miles using OLM and Redline. Mine at 74k miles using Mobil 1 and 5k mile OCI. I know of 6 other people who had chains done too on Acadias and other vehicles. No problems at all after repairs.

Feel confident that you will be okay after the repair. Better parts are used and if chains are not done right...you will know pretty soon.

Back in the late 1960s I had a Mustang with a 289 V8 and no one ever talked about timing chains or tensioners. They were just bulletproof.

Working as a mechanic back in the 1970's, we changed quite a few V8 timing chains due to excessive wear and eventual failure. They were anything but bulletproof. If an engine came apart for other reasons, the timing chain was likely to be sloppy loose. Still functional, but worn out.

Most of the time, owners were completely unaware of problems until failure. To claim that the chains did not wear back then is completely false. They wore out as expected, often rather rapidly with poor maintenance practices.

Back in the late 1960s I had a Mustang with a 289 V8 and no one ever talked about timing chains or tensioners. They were just bulletproof.

Working as a mechanic back in the 1970's, we changed quite a few V8 timing chains due to excessive wear and eventual failure. They were anything but bulletproof. If an engine came apart for other reasons, the timing chain was likely to be sloppy loose. Still functional, but worn out.

Most of the time, owners were completely unaware of problems until failure. To claim that the chains did not wear back then is completely false. They wore out as expected, often rather rapidly with poor maintenance practices.

Absolutely true, every word. Back then, a prudent person knew that replacement at 100K was a maintenance item, and not just because of nylon gears.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Thats why quality oil's have an defoamant as part of their balanced additive pack.

Also arco from previous posts you seem to have trouble with all engines
No. Long Chains are unrelaible and foam the oil. A dry timing system is preferred. Agreed the maintenance of the belts should be easier regardless of packaging.

Timing chains foam oil. The Si compound are anifoamants but oil still foams. You Can kill oipressure cornerhard with marginal street windage trays. Did it last week. Knock Knock Knock.

There are also so performance benefits that are gained with a belt over a chain. I'm with Tig1 one on this. Every car below is on or was on a 11K OCI with M1 EP.

Originally Posted By: datech
What year? What engine? Oil type? Did it fail outright, or just noisy and the dealer noticed?

I know some Ecotecs had TSB s on the timing chain oiler.

Yeah, information is hard to come by on these post sometimes....
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back