tell me about grand am's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed! They certainly can be bargins
smile.gif

Often, you just don't know what you'll be getting in terms of repairs as they're so known for being problematic.

Just using this a an example/comparison. Not to take the subject into left field.

Sure, I know one family that actually had better luck with a GrandAm than a Camry
laugh.gif
No lie! But, most folks that I know that have driven Grand Am's would never buy'em again for obvious reasons mentioned. And most typical Camry owners keep buying Camry's again due to good experiences.

Again! Sure you can get a good GA. Not every single GA made was a disaster!
smile.gif

Last edited:
When evil product designers from Mattel die and go to tell, they're forced to drive Grand Ams. Some of the worst quality interiors ever. Plus the intake and tranny problems.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And I'm a die-hard Chevy man too.

But you have a Toyota listed in your sig......

There are a lot of Chevy/GM fans driving Toyotas now... why did you think GM needed bailout money? You do not lose 40-60% of the US market by building quality products.

I would buy GM if they could get away from that "value engineering" crud. My 200K '99 Subaru "beater" is far better built than my mother-in-law's 90K '06 Equinox. Worlds apart. I had my choice between a Solstice or an MR2 but the Solstice horror stories kept me away. For the Fit, it was between it and a Vibe (No Koren Aveo for me). The Vibe's locking mechanism broke during the test drive and I had to crawl out the back hatch when I got back to the dealer.

I think the actual GM content on the Vibe amounted to the Delco alternator and Delco radio.

It was built at NUMMI so it was as much Toyota as GM.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I think the actual GM content on the Vibe amounted to the Delco alternator and Delco radio.

It was built at NUMMI so it was as much Toyota as GM.
21.gif

That is true. I do not know if QC is any different for the Pontiac, but that vehicle was a future dog.

You still see quite a few of these on the road. For some reason they were determined to be "sporty" cars and young people love them for that reason (never mind the problems...it's sporty!). The interiors are truly junk...Pontiac had to have the worst quality interiors (particularly that cheap dash)ever. I was also never a fan of the Pontiac exhaust note...purposely louder than it's competitors to forward the "sporty" image...just made the car louder to me (they did the same thing with the Grand Prix and Bonneville). With some work (noted intake gasket, etc.) the engines last a long time but everything else is questionable...I'd look elsewhere.

You still see quite a few of these on the road. For some reason they were determined to be "sporty" cars and young people love them for that reason (never mind the problems...it's sporty!). The interiors are truly junk...Pontiac had to have the worst quality interiors (particularly that cheap dash)ever. I was also never a fan of the Pontiac exhaust note...purposely louder than it's competitors to forward the "sporty" image...just made the car louder to me (they did the same thing with the Grand Prix and Bonneville). With some work (noted intake gasket, etc.) the engines last a long time but everything else is questionable...I'd look elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
why did you think GM needed bailout money?

Because the President had ulterior motives in "saving" GM?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

smile.gif

Thanks for getting this out. Many folks here forget that when you make tons of cars there are some lemons involved. The hundreds and hundreds of thousands of happy GA owners are NOT on the Internet posting.

And that goes for ALL car makers, even the revered Toyota!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
why did you think GM needed bailout money?

Because the President had ulterior motives in "saving" GM?

haha, good one. Actually it was pure cronyism at its finest.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven

So mister Suzuki/Mercury owner. Why don't tell me what else is questionable?

I owned a 01 Grand Prix GTP and a 98 Bonneville. (Currently own a flawless 04 GTP) I put 270,000 on both of them seperately. What should have been questionable? I race in a club with at least 20 modified W-bodies that didn't have "questionable issues" What are we talking? Try and be specific. Like what broke. I could see if you mentioned the 4T65E, but the interiors on both of those cars never broke, sun roof and heads up display always worked. Leather stayed nice and never had a problem with the dash. Just like all the other guys I race with. I can't remember chainging any electronics or related. So I have to ask how bad was the one you owned? I am interested. I have not had one problem with any of the dashes in any of my Pontiacs including my 11 second WS6, not a rattle from that car. HMMM all the electronics work in that too. Interesting.

So please let me know what I should be watching for. I appreciate it.

This place kills me sometimes.

smile.gif

Often, you just don't know what you'll be getting in terms of repairs as they're so known for being problematic.

Just using this a an example/comparison. Not to take the subject into left field.

Sure, I know one family that actually had better luck with a GrandAm than a Camry
laugh.gif
No lie! But, most folks that I know that have driven Grand Am's would never buy'em again for obvious reasons mentioned. And most typical Camry owners keep buying Camry's again due to good experiences.

smile.gif

So... after sharing all of that hot air, and hyperbole that could be applied to any used car, let me ask this. How many Grand Ams do you have first hand experience with?

After many years of posting on this site I find myself visiting less and less these days. The constant insults and vitriol I read here are an absolute turn off...and unnecessary. My Suzuki was purchased before the company decided to exit the US...I decided to keep the car rather than lose my shirt by trying to sell it. Best car I've ever owned...absolutely flawless over 51,000 miles and still drives like new. I paid $3,500 for the Villager (Nissan Quest clone) from an old guy in Indiana with 62,000 miles and just turned 110,000 miles...the van has needed a thermostat, front brake pads and I recently replaced the cv shafts...other than that, no problems. So what's with the comparison between MY vehicles and the Grand Am? I stick to my assertion that these vehicles were NOT the best example of American automotive excellence due to the afore-mentioned issues (sorry, those engines may last but the gaskets, etc. are [censored] design)...and yes, there are undoubtedly a lot of satisfied owners out there. The endless attacks and insults to make a point on other members here is ridiculous...they're CARS for chrissakes! Quite frankly, I have better things to worry about these days (like retirement, my health, etc.). I'll continue to enjoy being a "car" guy but can find other outlets without the over-the-top reactions that seem too common here anymore. Do these people react this way to EVERYTHING?

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
After many years of posting on this site I find myself visiting less and less these days. The constant insults and vitriol I read here are an absolute turn off...and unnecessary. My Suzuki was purchased before the company decided to exit the US...I decided to keep the car rather than lose my shirt by trying to sell it. Best car I've ever owned...absolutely flawless over 51,000 miles and still drives like new. I paid $3,500 for the Villager (Nissan Quest clone) from an old guy in Indiana with 62,000 miles and just turned 110,000 miles...the van has needed a thermostat, front brake pads and I recently replaced the cv shafts...other than that, no problems. So what's with the comparison between MY vehicles and the Grand Am? I stick to my assertion that these vehicles were NOT the best example of American automotive excellence due to the afore-mentioned issues (sorry, those engines may last but the gaskets, etc. are [censored] design)...and yes, there are undoubtedly a lot of satisfied owners out there. The endless attacks and insults to make a point on other members here is ridiculous...they're CARS for chrissakes! Quite frankly, I have better things to worry about these days (like retirement, my health, etc.). I'll continue to enjoy being a "car" guy but can find other outlets without the over-the-top reactions that seem too common here anymore. Do these people react this way to EVERYTHING?

I have to ask where I insulted you? If you feel insulted well I apologize, but to have not owned a Pontiac, I assumed you have not based off your response, and then tell people about how poor Pontiacs are and lump them all together is poor advice. I may have asked it in a condescending way, so I apologize for that, but it is only because like so many here you lumped a bunch of stuff together with no facts.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
smile.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

So... after sharing all of that hot air, and hyperbole that could be applied to any used car, let me ask this. How many Grand Ams do you have first hand experience with?

Let me say that I am not killing the Grand Am, the lack of sales due to poor customer satisfaction did. If the GA is a well maintained, priced right used car, Buy it!

I've always love my Pontiac's(had 4 myself) and still have my '80 FORMULA for the last 34 years and enjoy it regularly in he summer's. I much prefer the GP's and Bonny's over the GA's
smile.gif

I've not owned GrandAm's personaly(for those reasons and others such as cramped feeling interior) but, we in our very close circle of family/friends, have had 5 GrandAms(I had much hands on w/repairs) with a varirty of engine(drivetrain setups). And if I recall correctly, they were and 88-89 w/Buick 3.0 V6 or Iron Duke w/5spd man, 91-93 w/Olds Quad 4 and later models(can't remember the year) with 3.4 V6. Most were automatics though.

Mainly it was numerous electrical issues and sensors(can't remember all the issues of ecah). One actually has so many issues that they filed arbitration and won. And the others with V6's had their share of IM Gasket/Head Gasket failures. Though I love GM Auto Trannys!
smile.gif

Mainly it was owner dissatisfaction with the overall product that those in our circle chose to buy other name plates.

Last edited:
In addition:

One early-mid 90's GrandAm had a Buick 3.3 w/3spd auto and this friend in particular had decent success with it but, didn't keep it long as I believe it was a lease.

That is my particular experience with GA but, no personal ownership!

My Grand Am is pretty good. Its a handsome car and is very solid on the road. During the summer she regularly gets 30 mpg. I have put some work into it. Front wheel bearings, alternator, ac compressor, crank position sensor. The shaft seals are a problem on the compressors. I love the 3.4. I've had three. Just wish this one had a 5 speed.

when i worked at sonic drive-in during high school, one of my schoolmates won a scratchoff for a million dollars. a few days later his beater car broken down near a pontiac dealership. he bought himself a brand spanking new white 1996 pontiac grand am v6.

i can only chuckle to myself now that this million dollar owner's car is probably rotting in a junkyard somewhere now, but at least he paid off his mothers mortgage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back