2005 Chevy Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this vehicle to flip but have decided to keep it. One owner 1500 2wd, my mechanic has serviced it since it was new and he said it was perfect. It was at his shop for service and the owner told him to sell it as he had bought a new one. They have been discontinued as of 2014. I called the owner and worked out a deal and now it's in my driveway. My only concern is that it has 162,000 miles but it has been serviced regularly and the mechanic is going to print the maintenance history for me. Have any of you guys had any experience/history with the Avalanche. It is basically a Yukon with with an adaptable bed/covered cargo area and is pretty versatile. It has the 5.3 Vortec engine and I think the 4l60e automatic. All opinions are appreciated....Thanks. Gman

Pretty sure it's basically the truck underpinnings. The engine may have some piston slap but that is about it; only problem area is the trans. Which may go another 100k, no telling. But GM made a few million of them so a rebuild is cheap.

I have and 03 love it. As stated the trans is the weak area, keep it changed. I like the cladding as it looks better than scratches and rock dings it you actually drive across rocks and tall briar fields etc. It is a heavy truck for a 1500. Mine weighs about 5850lbs.

Last edited:
I've seen rust form behind the plastic cladding on the Vibes. Can't help but think it could help speed up rust on those as well.

Mine is the 'naked' version....no cladding. I'll get the service history and be sure and change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been changed recently. I'm hoping the 5.3 is a durable engine. Any suggestions on a type of tranny fluid I should use? Synthetic maybe? I'm thinking a drain and fill with a filter replacement. Thanks

I appreciate the responses...good stuff. I'm now thinking I might add a remote transmission cooler as well. Any thoughts? Thanks

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I appreciate the responses...good stuff. I'm now thinking I might add a remote transmission cooler as well. Any thoughts? Thanks

It might already have one. look up by the radiator it will be about 8x12"

Gman the 5.3 is a good engine. If yours has 162k it is probably a good one and should easily get you to 250k or further. The 4L60 is a good trans but change the atf every 30-40k. If yours does grenade get a rebuilt with a welded sun shell.(weak link). Butyou can get a complete trans job on that vehicle for $2k max.

If it has the "Tow Package", It will have an auxiliary trans cooler. If your towing..A trans temp gauge is a good idea. A cluster from a '03-'05 HD truck can be programed with your mileage & is a bolt-in deal.

5.3L's are very good engines. The 4L60E usually last 150K-200K.

I've got a 99 silverado with the 5.3 in it. Its cammed,dyno tuned with some work done on the heads
They were milled just to get them perfectly flat so my compression ratio is just a touch more than stock.
I've got somewhere in the neighbourhood of 270k on the engine,tranny and transfer case without anything done to the tranny other than fluid changes.
The 5.3 engines are as tough as they come. Easily as durable at the 5.7 it replaced. 167k miles is nothing for that power train if it was properly maintained and you've already stated that's been done so enjoy your new to you truck.
The 5.3 ain't picky for oil. You might have piston slap at start up. Its common and not a real problem other than noise for the first few moments when cold started.
The oil life monitor is accurate and calibrated for conventional. If using synthetic you can double the interval pretty easily unless you are short tripping often or significant towing miles on the interval.
I've used everything out there in my chev as far as oil is concerned. I used a soil for the first 150k or so until it just wasn't financially justifiable to me anymore. Now I use whatever I've found on sale. Usually synthetic that I got for cheaper than conventional. My truck gets driven like a truck which includes towing and lots of time in 4wd ripping thru snow and mud.
I've found that the engine will talk to me and tell me when an oil change is required. When the top end gets noisy and oil pressure drops slightly its time for it to change. With synthetic its always close to 8k-10k so once I notice a change in how its running(and speaking) to me I change it.
Not scientific I know but its got a ton of very hard miles and not even a hint of oil consumption or burning yet. And I've got no cat so I'd see the oil cloud if it existed.

Thanks for all the answers...I feel better about buying a high mileage vehicle now. It does have the tow package, and I'll try to take a look see for the external tranny cooler. I'll be checking and most likely be changing all the fluids in the next few weeks. Is there a drain plug on the tranny pan? I'll probably be putting synthetic in the tranny and diff, but use conventional oil in the engine....unless I use synthetic in the engine. LOL! Thanks

Mine is the 'naked' version....no cladding. I'll get the service history and be sure and change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been changed recently. I'm hoping the 5.3 is a durable engine. Any suggestions on a type of tranny fluid I should use? Synthetic maybe? I'm thinking a drain and fill with a filter replacement. Thanks

4L60Es come with a shallow pan or a deep pan. You'll need to check to see what you have and buy the correct filter for it. Add a drain plug to it while you have it off.

Or, buy an aftermarket pan, maybe one with additional capacity.

I run Maxlife ATF in my 4L60E, works great. The filter gets changed every 50K and I drain the pan at each oil change. I've also started using Lubegard Red.

If you plan on towing/hauling, add an auxiliary trans cooler.

Keep an eye on oil consumption with the 5.3L. The DOD/AFM (Gen4) engines have a reputation for consuming oil, but my Gen3 without DOD/AFM consumes oil, about 1 qt every 1,500 miles or so.

By 80k miles, my vehicle needed a new water pump, fuel pump, and fan clutch. The power steering pump has been making noises since late summer.

Last edited:
Got the mechanic to print out the maintenance history on the Avalanche today. He had serviced it since new and most of the things he did to it were routine maintenance items. He did however replace a lower steering shaft in August of 2011. No record of the transmission fluid being changed, so that is at the top of my to do list. Also no record of the plugs EVER being replaced! I did pull one out today and it was the nice tan color...but with iridium plugs is there any way to tell they need replacing? The tiny electrode tip looked good but I'll replace them soon as well. So far only oil changes and minor stuff. Thanks

Thanks for all the answers...I feel better about buying a high mileage vehicle now. It does have the tow package, and I'll try to take a look see for the external tranny cooler. I'll be checking and most likely be changing all the fluids in the next few weeks. Is there a drain plug on the tranny pan? I'll probably be putting synthetic in the tranny and diff, but use conventional oil in the engine....unless I use synthetic in the engine. LOL! Thanks

The 4L60E had a drain plug from '98-'03, '04 & up does not, All '98 & up 4l60E pans are the deep version. Drop the pan, Change filter, Clean magnet & pan.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The 4L60E had a drain plug from '98-'03, '04 & up does not, All '98 & up 4l60E pans are the deep version. Drop the pan, Change filter, Clean magnet & pan.

Are you talking specifically about 4L60Es installed on full-size trucks, or 4L60Es in general?

GMT360 (2002-2009) vehicles all have the 4L60E and some came with the shallow pan. IIRC, none of the 360s have drain plugs either, regardless of year.

It probably does have a deep pan, but taking 60 seconds to check would be a good idea, rather than come home with the wrong filter.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^excuse me but my 05 5.3 has a 4L65E^^^

I'm not calling you a liar, but are you sure? I thought the '65 only came paired with the 6.0 in 2005. The 2005 Avalanche was not available with the 6.0.

What does your RPO sticker say?
M30 is the 4L60
M32 is the 4L65

Just to complicate things, RockAuto lists transmission filters for an '05 Avalanche 5.3L for shallow, deep, M30, M32, and M33 RPO codes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81
Are you talking specifically about 4L60Es installed on full-size trucks, or 4L60Es in general?

GMT360 (2002-2009) vehicles all have the 4L60E and some came with the shallow pan. IIRC, none of the 360s have drain plugs either, regardless of year.

It probably does have a deep pan, but taking 60 seconds to check would be a good idea, rather than come home with the wrong filter.

I was specifically talking about the GMT800, Though the GMT360's I've built transmissions for had the deep pan, Maybe early '02 or something had the older pan?
I agree, he should check before buying a filter.

Originally Posted By: strat81
I'm not calling you a liar, but are you sure? I thought the '65 only came paired with the 6.0 in 2005. The 2005 Avalanche was not available with the 6.0.

What does your RPO sticker say?
M30 is the 4L60
M32 is the 4L65

Just to complicate things, RockAuto lists transmission filters for an '05 Avalanche 5.3L for shallow, deep, M30, M32, and M33 RPO codes

Your correct, No 5.3L came with a 4L65E from the factory. LQ4, LQ9, & LS2 6.0L's are the only one's. LS2 Trailblazer SS had 4L70E's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back