Delvac in a gasser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, today I kindly received 2 gallons of Mobil Delvac 15w40 from a guy at work who recently sold his Duramax. I was wondering if it was ok to use 15w40 in the F150 (summer only) that specs 5w20? I've used 30w without a problem plenty of times but 15w40 almost seems too thick. Any opinions?

It's thicker than recommended, but won't hurt anything. Mix it 50/50 with 5w-20 if you really want, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just run it in the summer.

For a late spring to early fall OCI, you'll be completely fine (I say this as a F-150 owner, and someone that's researched the issue) -- just make sure to report back on your experience.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
For a late springto early fall OCI, you'll be completely fine (I say this as a F-150 owner, and someone that's researched the issue) -- just make sure to report back on your experience.

I will report back, and I'll also get a UOA through Blackstone to compare wear and breakdown VS a 5w20

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
For a late springto early fall OCI, you'll be completely fine (I say this as a F-150 owner, and someone that's researched the issue) -- just make sure to report back on your experience.

I will report back, and I'll also get a UOA through Blackstone to compare wear and breakdown VS a 5w20

I'd love to see that comparison. That'd be really interesting!

Awesome! Is your '04 the "classic", or new(er) model? Have you posted any analysis results yet?

Awesome! Is your '04 the "classic", or new(er) model? Have you posted any analysis results yet?

Its the newer model. I haven't done any UOA's on it yet, but I'll run both tests for the same amount of time in roughly the same driving styles (70% City 30% Highway)

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
It's fine. I run a 15w-50 in my 4.6 2V in the summer months for track use. Just let it warm an extra 15 seconds.

M1 15W50?

Going from a 20 grade to a 40 grade you're going to not in the engine feeling sluggish. I have in every mod motor I've ever owned.
I used to be a thicker is better guy and I loved syn 5w-40. Once I got over my aversion to 20 grades I instantly noticed the engines had more pep.
Going thicker isn't going to do any harm,especially in the summer and as a bitoger we love free oil.

My father has run various 15w-40 HDEO in his Suburban for 370,000 miles. and so far hasn't had one issue with the engine.

Bad idea if it is a vct engine. Ohc + vct (which is operated by engine oil) is a bad combination for too heavy oil. Spec is 5w20. Maybe go 5w30. I have two 5.4 fords and run nothing but 5w20. JMHO.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Bad idea if it is a vct engine. Ohc + vct (which is operated by engine oil) is a bad combination for too heavy oil. Spec is 5w20. Maybe go 5w30. I have two 5.4 fords and run nothing but 5w20. JMHO.

Thicker oil slows down the vct systems engagement by milliseconds,so little its imperceptible.
Only applies if the truck is a 3v anyways. If its a 2v they don't have cam phasers.
Thicker oil won't cause any harm but it will make the engine feel sluggish until the engine is hot and even then you'll still notice it at part throttle.

This ^^

It won't hurt it. Look at all the fleets that run it in their tritons hundred of thousands of miles. I probably wouldn't use it straight and would probably cut it with some of your mystik.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

This ^^

Mine is the 2v, not the 3v. As far as I know the VCT motors were only used in Explorer's and Mustang's

Originally Posted By: gregk24

This ^^

Mine is the 2v, not the 3v. As far as I know the VCT motors were only used in Explorer's and Mustang's

The 3V 5.4 with VCT was put in 2004-2010 F-150s and 2005-2010 F-250/350s. They're also in Expeditions, but I'm not sure exactly which years. My 2005 F-350 has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back