The new car almost

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to drive it to a Nissan dealer and do a back to back comparision with a Versa hatch back. I suspect $6k gets you a much newer Versa and they are about the same size inside, but it would be interesting to see how they match up otherwise.
Versa gets much better mileage and no timing belt on the Versa either.
I suspect the Cruiser feels like a much more substantial vehicle though and it certainly looks more interesting!

I was forced to drive one of those once while my car was in for warranty service. My opinion - they are garbage cars that barely have enough power in the NA 2.4l to get out of their own way. It rattled to no end on the highway, had almost no sound deadening so I could hear all of the road and engine noises, and felt absolutely numb from a driving dynamics standpoint.

Ask yourself, why did someone trade this car in with less than 50k miles? Because they couldn't stand to drive it any longer.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You might want to drive it to a Nissan dealer and do a back to back comparision with a Versa hatch back. I suspect $6k gets you a much newer Versa and they are about the same size inside, but it would be interesting to see how they match up otherwise.
I suspect the Cruiser feels like a much more substantial vehicle though and it certainly looks more interesting!

That's a pretty good point. They both have cheap interiors. The fabrics are a bit better in the PT Cruiser but it's all Polypropylene in the PT and a harder plastic (that feels every bit as cheap in the Versa. maybe PET but it is textured badly.

Adults actually fit in the back of both. Pretty practical little wagons

It's not really fair to compare my PT to a Versa....my car makes about 150 more ft-lbs of torque so of course there is a big difference in the way they drive. My experience with the regular PT is that it is a bit torquier than a 2.2 HHR and a bit wheezier up top above 5000rpm. I imagine that would stand up as well vs the smaller Nissan engine.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I was forced to drive one of those once while my car was in for warranty service. My opinion - they are garbage cars that barely have enough power in the NA 2.4l to get out of their own way. It rattled to no end on the highway, had almost no sound deadening so I could hear all of the road and engine noises, and felt absolutely numb from a driving dynamics standpoint.

Ask yourself, why did someone trade this car in with less than 50k miles? Because they couldn't stand to drive it any longer.

It's not that bad

Just think of it as a Neon Station Wagon.

and mine as an SRT/4 wagon
lol.gif

HPIM1275.jpg

Someone trade in mine with 4000 miles. We've put another 100,000+ on it

we looked at one a week ago and it felt very cheap and uncomfortable and actually were priced very high. Honestly it was one of the least favorite cars ive ever driven.
27.gif

she was a school teacher who retired and wanted a new car for retirement. She had it 11 years I hardly think she was tired of it,
They really arent bad the handling actually surprised me considering its size. Its a decent family hauler and the price wasnt bad.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

we looked at one a week ago and it felt very cheap and uncomfortable and actually were priced very high. Honestly it was one of the least favorite cars ive ever driven.
27.gif

I don't think the Versa owners will hunt you down... Enjoy the PT, hopefully it will do well for you. My "POS" Neon was great for me even when abused to the extreme.

Smart man, which model did you get?
PTs are great cars contrary to what is said here. They are really bargains if you take the time to locate a good one which has been maintained.
Go Ptcruiserlinksforum.com to learn more about their good and bad points.
Per the interiors, the 1st gen cloth PT are much better than a versa, Of course I have 3 GTs with leather and heated seats and whatnot and an 06 base with the yes essentials fabric seats. The door panels and trim are plastic but dont rattle and are easy to clean. 1st gen dash is nice, 2nd gen not so much but again their are much worse out their.
Of course you can go junkyarding and score the leather interiors cheap, I pulled the seats out of an 03 limted as spares for the heating elements, these are the leather saude ones, paid 30$ for all 3 seats in mint condition! Parts are abundant. Per your t-belt, sounds like someonchanged it and used gates, if original wont say gates on it. Oh they are non interfernece but the valves can smack.

she was a school teacher who retired and wanted a new car for retirement. She had it 11 years I hardly think she was tired of it,
They really arent bad the handling actually surprised me considering its size. Its a decent family hauler and the price wasnt bad.

Check out edmunds pricing. It seems extremely expensive to me for an 11 year old Chrysler.

Nice car otherwise but price makes me wonder.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Any worse than people paying 5000 for a Honda with 160K miles on it?

Absolutely not. Different strokes for different strokes. Woman I work with has a Versa with CVT. I did not like it near as much as the PT Cruisers I have driven.
At anyrate at that price point the drivetrain in that thing is pretty good and should be relatively trouble free.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Beware a "yo-yo" deal where they haul you in in a couple weeks because your financing "fell through" and they want a higher interest rate. Since you haven't signed everything yet, hit up your local credit union for a 2nd opinion on your car loan.

Second the idea of getting alternate financing. When I bought the truck last week I told them I could get 2.49% from our credit union and if they could beat it I'd use them otherwise I'd go with the CU. They got me 2.08%/60 mo. on a used truck.

And for the yo-yo [censored]. Make sure you walk out of there with a signed finance contract that spells out the bank, interest rate, payments, etc. Then if they pull that [censored] you can say "here's your car"!

To the OP - congrats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Check out edmunds pricing. It seems extremely expensive to me for an 11 year old Chrysler.

My opinion on edmunds is it's a joke!
So it kbb and nada. None of them represent today's market. I would almost dare any body to find a cleaner car with low miles for 6 grand. Granted people precieved value is higher with Japanese vehicles but when shopping for a car for 6,000 or less make doesn't matter a lot . What mattered to me was condition then miles and lastly age. So resale is low on a pt cruiser but can you find a cleaner better car for the same money? I'm not saying it's impossible but I bet it's darn hard espcially where I am the used market is junk.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Smart man, which model did you get?
PTs are great cars contrary to what is said here. They are really bargains if you take the time to locate a good one which has been maintained.
Go Ptcruiserlinksforum.com to learn more about their good and bad points.
Per the interiors, the 1st gen cloth PT are much better than a versa, Of course I have 3 GTs with leather and heated seats and whatnot and an 06 base with the yes essentials fabric seats. The door panels and trim are plastic but dont rattle and are easy to clean. 1st gen dash is nice, 2nd gen not so much but again their are much worse out their.
Of course you can go junkyarding and score the leather interiors cheap, I pulled the seats out of an 03 limted as spares for the heating elements, these are the leather saude ones, paid 30$ for all 3 seats in mint condition! Parts are abundant. Per your t-belt, sounds like someonchanged it and used gates, if original wont say gates on it. Oh they are non interfernece but the valves can smack.

I actually like the interior of the Limited better than my GT. It has the ultrasuede inserts on the door panel and seats and body colored bezel and passenger airbag cover. GT has the aforementioned Bionic Snakeskin bezel and rubbery black plastic insert on the door panel.

'course the GT does have seat heaters which are nice when it is cold or your back hurts.
laugh.gif

The Limiteds do have a problem with the chrome peeling on the inside of the 16" wheels causing slow leaks. Nothing a Scotch Brite conditioning tool can't handle.

The door panels are durable Polypropylene. Mine have been off to replace the speakers (which admittedly are junk) and they still don't rattle.

Here is a local GT 2004/58k for $4100 >>>> http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4276854057.html

Not sure what its like where you live but edmunds seems the going rate around here.

It's an estate sale with no warranty. I got a 25,000 bumper to bumper warranty. 2yr 25,000 miles I should say. People around here are asking 5000 for 02 ford Taurus's with 150,000 on them it's crazy. Regardless of what type of vehicle it is 6,000 for a clean low mileage car isn't a bad deal I can easily have this car for 100k+ Miles that's not bad IMO.

It's an estate sale with no warranty. I got a 25,000 bumper to bumper warranty. 2yr 25,000 miles I should say.

Read that warranty very carefully. Warranties on a 11 year old vehicle are bunk typically. There is a clear reason why car makers do not warranty any vehicle that long.

It's an estate sale with no warranty. I got a 25,000 bumper to bumper warranty. 2yr 25,000 miles I should say.

Read that warranty very carefully. Warranties on a 11 year old vehicle are bunk typically. There is a clear reason why car makers do not warranty any vehicle that long.

I did it's actually quite good. It's about as close to the factory bumper to bumper as I've seen.

I noticed that one too, but that is the exception not the rule, and most listed on craigslist you have to be [censored] careful, when I bought one of mine private sale I looked and 9 out of 10 were pretty beat, typical of a craigslist seller. Also most are priced much higher

One guy in Lewiston showed his, looked very nice, get there to look at it and the car was beat, asked why he said oh, that was the picture from the 1st summer we had it seven years ago! LOL

I did find one in CT, pristine GT convertible, guy was VP of Pratt&whitney, ran Mobile 1 and had all receipts. Was only selling it because the adopted a 2nd dog and needed larger vehichle. scooped that one.

Here is a local GT 2004/58k for $4100 >>>> http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4276854057.html

Not sure what its like where you live but edmunds seems the going rate around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back