Tdi gelatinous sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: Chugchug
Previouse owner swears he did 10k oil change full synth.

Previous owner is a LIAR!! He never changed the oil like in 3 years.

I should know, I drove my car's dino oil 8000 miles averaged, sometimes 10K, and one time to like 11.4K

My link to pix of what mine looked like:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3132705#Post3132705

Was your car petrol or a turbodiesel like the OP?

I don't mean to speak for 285south, but you can tell pretty easily from the pictures that he has a 4-cylinder spark ignition turbodiesel.

Didn't read his other thread just checked out the first photo and it looked too clean for a diesel.

What is a spark ignition turbo diesel?

Diesel engines have glow plugs in my experience.

This motor is still putting up good compression in all cylinders

That's because the rings are coked solid with sludge. WVO engines often gain compression as their rings get filled up with that fantastic gasket of polymerized vegetable oil.

Hi,
Chugchug - The pictures are typical of many Heavy High Speed Diesel engines I've seen in the past that have been poorly serviced. This usually was the result of the using an incorrect specification lubricant and OCIs that were not frequent enough

I've seen it occur quite quickly, even with engines under Warranty in some cases (Fleets), and the Fleet Owner usually blames the lubricant. The engine Manufacturer typically denies Warranty of course after research proves that the lubricant type was incorrect and that Service routines were sloppy with OCIs being spasmodic and usually infrequent

I don't think you can have spark ignition and still have it be a diesel. That's a gas engine.

I don't often comment when the previous posters have already said it and said it well but I thing the Family Guy pic above sums up my feelings. This is what we call a multi-level object lesson.

If there was any liquid oil left, did you think to take a sample for analysis. It's possible that it would have answered some of your questions. If nothing else, it might have inspired another bout of chorus-hurling. ( : < )

Hang in there!

Originally Posted By: yonyon

I don't think you can have spark ignition and still have it be a diesel. That's a gas engine.

I know that.

But you were the one that mentioned it.

He probably used the basic diesel oil, like the shell or mobil delvac brand, which I don't think meets VW specs, but can still be used but definitely not beyond 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
He probably used the basic diesel oil, like the shell or mobil delvac brand, which I don't think meets VW specs, but can still be used but definitely not beyond 5k miles.

Running Rotella or Delvac 15w-40, in and of itself, would not have caused this.

Originally Posted By: accent2012

A VW needs beetle-juice. Right?
grin.gif

Nope, The owner was either a liar about the OCI or he used gasser oil in the TDI. I have a 2001 VW Jetta TDI with the same engine as you do (ALH). I have changed the oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 TDT or Mobil Delvac 1. I recently looked at the top of the head and it is so clean, it looks like a laboratory experiment. If you still have good compression, you may be able to save it. If not call Aaron over at Bora parts. He had some ALH crate motors for very reasonable money.

On BITOG you have to learn to sift through the bad to get to the good.

In this case, you got a response from Doug Hillary. That is as good as it gets.

Out of all the Euro engines that all need Euro oils, a turbo diesel is going to be the most at risk without a Euro oil.

Even normally aspirated gasoline Euro engines get sludge with non approved oils.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
On BITOG you have to learn to sift through the bad to get to the good.

In this case, you got a response from Doug Hillary. That is as good as it gets.

Out of all the Euro engines that all need Euro oils, a turbo diesel is going to be the most at risk without a Euro oil.

Even normally aspirated gasoline Euro engines get sludge with non approved oils.

Well said!

straight mmo? $6,000,000 rebuild? spark ignition turbodiesel?

Keep em rollin,

Matt

The person that posted about the spark ignition turbo diesel still hasn't answered my question about it.

Other than to possibly try and infer that i said it.

Lol.

That depends on which engine. The ALH engine that is in the OP's vehicle does not need a Euro oil. It will run fine off of Mobil 1 TDT, Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T6, Several of Amsoil's offerings and probably a bunch more. It wasn't until 2004.5 when VW tdi's began being produced with BEW (Pump Deuce) engines that these cars started becoming oil fussy. Much of these problems were related to a significant reduction in surface area of the cam lobes necessitating very high film strength oils.

Other than to possibly try and infer that i said it.

Sorry about that. I have a bad habit of making bad jokes that are so bad you can't tell they're meant to be funny.

Originally Posted By: k1rod

That depends on which engine. The ALH engine that is in the OP's vehicle does not need a Euro oil. It will run fine off of Mobil 1 TDT, Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T6, Several of Amsoil's offerings and probably a bunch more. It wasn't until 2004.5 when VW tdi's began being produced with BEW (Pump Deuce) engines that these cars started becoming oil fussy. Much of these problems were related to a significant reduction in surface area of the cam lobes necessitating very high film strength oils.

VAG produced PD engine earlier than 2004. A friend on mine had a Ford Galaxy, built in a joint venture with VW and Seat, back in 02 and i am fairly certain they started making the PD engines in 01.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Clearly neglected.

Guess you will be running straight MMO for a couple of changes......

Meant as a jokey joke.

With a mess like that you either have to laugh or cry......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back