Finally purchased another sports car, S2000 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a couple of years, for just the right car. The Jaguar X-Type I've been driving, while a good car, is just not my kind of car. I looked at 2008 and later Corvettes, 370z, S2000 and others. My favorite was a 2008 Corvette Convertible w/manual trans Z51. But the price was out of my reach.

I found a 2004 S2000, very low miles, near perfect cosmetic shape, with an "Inline Pro" Stage-1 turbo kit installed. It's configured to make 17.5 pounds of boost on a relatively small turbo (for good midrange torque) . It looks completely stock, with the exception of a large, but stock looking exhaust. And if you look carefully, the intercooler is visible in the front. My plan is to carefully remove the intercooler and exhaust and paint the visible portions flat black. Just to keep the clean look.

It will need a bit of tuning to get it "just right" as there are a couple of things that warrant attention. I'll get it dialed in. I'll need to reposition the air filter to a cooler location and work with the blow-off-valve. As I don't like the noise. Nor do I like the blow-off-valve open under part throttle conditions. As it reduces throttle response.

Other than that, it really drives like a car should. Quick, responsive, agile, comfortable and reasonably quiet. Accelerates properly when asked.

Inline Pro Stage 1 turbo kit
600HP intercooler
3 inch, turbo back, dual, oval tip (like stock) exhaust with high flow cat
AEM engine computer (not just a tune)
larger front sway bar
3mm head gasket (for lower compression)
Remote oil filter (probably should add cooler too)
big injectors
6 puck clutch disk and pressure plate
ball bearing turbo upgrade
Dyno tuned by Inline Pro

Probably around 400HP at the wheels, others with this setup make 417, 425, 405, and so on. Seems to be fairly close to 400. But many of those guys don't run cats. We shall see.

Last edited:
Pics or it didnt happen.
smile.gif

Sounds like a fun car, I got worried when you said "move air filter to a cooler location" this doesnt have a big cone k&n or something does it? The stock S2000 airbox is massive and probably flows more than that turbo could ever pull, plus it actually filters the air. .02

My kind of car at age 67. If it rides good, has AC, good heater and a radio and I can stand the body style, lets go.

Hows the trans syncros and what high octane fuel cab you run/buy for a high comp turbo? I drove an s2000 used and a 1998 M roadster back in 2001 - I went with the m1. The S2000 was too high strung for me and the trans hesitant. I did like the feadable F1-style tach, purpose built interior and the handling.
Good luck and have fun.

PS: I would not paint the IC as it might loose some efficiency.

Last edited:
Sweet. I had an AP2 for about a year. Part of me always wanted more power, but it was just so well balanced to begin with that I left it bone stock.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Hows the trans syncros and what high octane fuel cab you run/buy for a high comp turbo? I drove an s2000 used and a 1998 M roadster back in 2001 - I went with the m1. The S2000 was too high strung for me and the trans hesitant. I did like the feadable F1-style tach, purpose built interior and the handling.
Good luck and have fun.

PS: I would not paint the IC as it might loose some efficiency.

Trans works perfectly. This model has the updated carbon syncro's.

With the 3mm head gasket, the compression is roughly 9 to 1. Not too high. Local fuel is 93 octane and VP Fuels has a pump with 96 (non oxygenated) available locally, but it's expensive for a daily driver.

The intercooler won't be significantly affected by a very light coat of flat black on the front. The intercooler has slight surface corrosion on it, and road debris in it. So a good cleaning, etch and alodine, and very careful application of paint will be just fine. I promise not to paint the cooling fins.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Pics or it didnt happen.
smile.gif

Sounds like a fun car, I got worried when you said "move air filter to a cooler location" this doesnt have a big cone k&n or something does it? The stock S2000 airbox is massive and probably flows more than that turbo could ever pull, plus it actually filters the air. .02

Interesting thought. Hook a stock airbox to the turbo. I like that idea, I'll look into in. I don't have a stock airbox, so I'll have to hunt one down.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sounds nice. I may be too old to want a high performance car. I worry more about reliability and snow performance these days.

I've owned turbo cars since the 1970's and 80's. I even had a minor role developing turbo engine cams for Ford 2.3L's back then. Every time I purchase a non boosted car, I am unhappy.

It's not a matter of being old. It's a matter of driving what you like. Carrol Shelby drove performance cars right up to the end. He was enamored with high HP cars that handled well. Paul Newman too. He was out on Lime Rock track, at 80+ years old, still doing what he loved. He knew cancer was going to take him, yet he wanted one more time on the track. If I remember correctly, he was on the track turning wicked fast lap times at 83 years old, in a 700HP car, just a few weeks before he died.

Congrats and welcome to the S2000 community! I've got a lot of buddies who have gone turbo or SC because the chassis is so good they can't find anything else quite like it but still want power on par with newer sports cars. If you haven't yet, get yourself on S2Ki. There's a great community out there for support, events, and you're likely to make some good friends, too.
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/54-florida-s2000-owners/

A couple points of caution: the diff. in these cars doesn't like turbo levels of torque so be careful with your launches (esp with warm tires). Keep the trans and diff fluids fresh (Honda MTF and Lubrication Engineers LE 1605 are the best choices). Constantly check all of the connections and fittings, while the F22C1 is amazing and can easily take the power with stock block and head (forged internals), I've known several friends who have been annoyed by broken lines and fittings.

Other than that, just enjoy it. It really is a special car and praise is still coming in from the automotive press (future classic, best of the decade, etc) even after it hasn't been made for 5 years. Honda designed this car as a 50th birthday present to itself and the care that went into it is quite evident by its fantastic engineering and its purpose-built nature.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Pics or it didnt happen.
smile.gif

Interesting thought. Hook a stock airbox to the turbo. I like that idea, I'll look into in. I don't have a stock airbox, so I'll have to hunt one down.

Check your local FS forum(s) on S2Ki and if you don't find one post a WTB thread and you'll get responses within a day with what you're looking for.

About stock components: despite what some will tell you very few aftermarket intake, header, and exhaust will improve on comes on the car from the factory. For example, Honda tested 32 different exhaust/header combinations when designing the car so it's all really well sorted and it has to be to help produce that power/liter. Same goes with the stock airbox. That said, what you CAN improve on for these components is weight (and sound but that's subjective), they're all somewhat heavy, but don't expect any more function/power. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about a stock airbox with your setup.

Don't know if things have changed or not but inline pro used to have a bad rep around here for their tuning/installs... If you love the car I'd seek a reputable tuner in your area and make sure the timing and air/fuel ratio is dead on and safe. I've heard of more friends with popped motors from inline Pro tunes than I care to mention...

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Pics or it didnt happen.
smile.gif

Check your local FS forum(s) on S2Ki and if you don't find one post a WTB thread and you'll get responses within a day with what you're looking for.

About stock components: despite what some will tell you very few aftermarket intake, header, and exhaust will improve on comes on the car from the factory. For example, Honda tested 32 different exhaust/header combinations when designing the car so it's all really well sorted and it has to be to help produce that power/liter. Same goes with the stock airbox. That said, what you CAN improve on for these components is weight (and sound but that's subjective), they're all somewhat heavy, but don't expect any more function/power. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about a stock airbox with your setup.

Are you saying don't worry about the weight of the stock airbox? Or don't get one?

I was just pointing out its bennefits with all the R&D honda put into it, it's already coldair, and it actually filtering air. You dont want a dusted turbo like picture 3. http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/vehicles/diesel/schematics/TurbochargerGuide.pdf

Sounds nice. I may be too old to want a high performance car. I worry more about reliability and snow performance these days.

I've owned turbo cars since the 1970's and 80's. I even had a minor role developing turbo engine cams for Ford 2.3L's back then. Every time I purchase a non boosted car, I am unhappy.

It's not a matter of being old. It's a matter of driving what you like. Carrol Shelby drove performance cars right up to the end. He was enamored with high HP cars that handled well. Paul Newman too. He was out on Lime Rock track, at 80+ years old, still doing what he loved. He knew cancer was going to take him, yet he wanted one more time on the track. If I remember correctly, he was on the track turning wicked fast lap times at 83 years old, in a 700HP car, just a few weeks before he died.

And I just bought a snow cat with a top speed of "slow".

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Pics or it didnt happen.
smile.gif

Are you saying don't worry about the weight of the stock airbox? Or don't get one?

I was just pointing out its bennefits with all the R&D honda put into it, it's already coldair, and it actually filtering air. You dont want a dusted turbo like picture 3. http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/vehicles/diesel/schematics/TurbochargerGuide.pdf

I'm saying don't worry that you're not getting good airflow, the stock airbox is very good from that perspective, it's just heavy.

And I just bought a snow cat with a top speed of "slow".
And if you get to chose the site of the race, you will beat him handily :)

If you are looking to clean up the intercooler, send it to Swain Tech! They have a thermal coating that INCREASES thermal emissivity, thereby increasing the efficiency of the intercooler. I had it applied to both heat exchangers in my 328Ci TS SC setup (AIT dropped from 109 to 82 w 75f IAT), as well as the Zionsville radiator, oil pan, finned diff cover, and a number of other parts during my engine build. The results are very, very much worth the money! It has a protective effect, too, as with over 20k miles there's not even a stone chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back