Casite CF-240 for Nissan 9E000

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local parts house has begun stocking Casite filters big time. They are a Hastings dealer and also sold Wix but it looks like Wix is out and now only Hastings and Casite (and a few Pennzoil) filters occupy shelf space.

A very basic visual comparison of the $7.00 Hastings LF-240 and the $3.50 Casite CF-240 show no difference other than the color of the text on the case (dark blue for Hastings and red for the Casite). Could Hastings be putting the exact same filters under a different brand name for half the price of their "premium" filter?

Whatever the case may be had I picked up two of the Casite filter for the wife's Pathfinder but I ended up not saving a penny over the Hastings brand. You see I decided to try a new filter wrench...sort of a pliers with filter cap shape jaws. I got the casite hand tight on the Pathfinder and was just gonna give it an 1/8 turn with the new filter wrench and the darn wrench actually pierced the filter case! So I purchased two Casite filters for the price of one Hastings and ended up having to use both of the filters I got for one oil change.
pat.gif

Sheez, I don't know why I even bothered with that jerky wrench. I haven't used a filter wrench to tighten a filter in years...always just hand tight.
dunno.gif
pat.gif

I am not very impressed with Casite. I would use Hastings instead. I saw a Casite that had been cut apart and it looked like a FRAM! It was in a display comparing oil filters and unless somebody got the FRAM insides mixed up with the Casite insides, the FRAM actually looked better. Casite is apparently a lower quality version of Hastings.

Now, that display I saw was an old display and maybe Casite has gotten better. But if it was me I would spend the extra cash for a Hastings, or even an OEM Nissan oil filter.

It looks like hastings owns casite. I did a google on casite and the hastings site popped up.
The filters look the same, but I'm not sure about the medias. Baldwin actually makes both of them.

I cut open a Casite equivalent of the Motorcraft FL-820s about two years ago.

Lets just say that I was underwhelmed by the quality I found inside. Very small filter area and just all around sloppy construction.

On a just a feeling from a visual inspection, the only filters I'd put lower than it are Fram and all of the rebadged Fram clones.

Now that isn't to say it won't work fine, as Frams seem to do for most people, but I'd find a better brand to spend the money on...

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
I cut open a Casite equivalent of the Motorcraft FL-820s about two years ago.

Lets just say that I was underwhelmed by the quality I found inside. Very small filter area and just all around sloppy construction.

On a just a feeling from a visual inspection, the only filters I'd put lower than it are Fram and all of the rebadged Fram clones.

Now that isn't to say it won't work fine, as Frams seem to do for most people, but I'd find a better brand to spend the money on...

That's good enough for me. Thanks for the info gang. Looks like Casite may be one of those penny wise and dollar foolish items. I'll stick with the Hastings, Wix or OE Nissan.

Isn't Casite the filter that use to have a scruffy convict looking type of guy on the filter or box? Years ago Consumers Report did a oil filter study and I seem to remember that Casite was singled out as being, shall we say, substandard to the other filters in the study. As I recall it had a REALLY cheap "unique" filtering media. If you want a "inexpensive" are there no Super Tech filters that fit. Or any other Champion made filters.

Whimsey

I don't believe in using the second level quality oil filter of any company. And I don't believe in using the first level quality of FRAM.

Wix filters used to be the oil filters sold by NAPA and CarQuest (unless that changes) and NAPA Gold is first level quality and NAPA Silver is second level. At CarQuest, CarQuest Blue Label is first quality and CarQuest Red Label is second quality. If the difference in price is say 1 buck, why not speak the extra buck? The same with motor oils. If the brand on sale is 79 cents and you can get Chevron at the same place for a buck and change, maybe the Chevron would be better. What is the difference in price, anyway-30 cents a quart?

I know a mechanic who used to boast big time about the quality of Hastings oil filters (and Valvoline motor oil). But he actually was using Casite oil filters on customers cars. Casite is made by Hastings but is a second level when it comes to quality. And even though this mechanic had an engineering degree from MIT, the Valvoline oil he was recommending has not had great VOAs and UOAs here at this web site. I know another mechanic who has been a mechanic for over 50 years! He recommends Hastings oil filters and he uses Hastings oil filters on customers cars. He also recommends Mystik motor oil. I don't know how it compares in quality to motor oils like Pennzoil, Chevron, and Castrol.

Clarcor Corp. makes filters under the Baldwin, Hastings, Casite, and other brand names including for Amsoil at their plant in Kearny, Nebraska. Baldwin told me that the Baldwin and Hastings filters are identical and that Casite is lower quality. Of course, they said to ask Amsoil about the quality of those filters, and you can guess what Amsoil had to say....

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back