tell me about grand am's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an 04 one owner 130,000 miles 3400 v6.
how are these cars space wise? Never paid enough attention.
What are some common issues

+1 on intake gaskets and transmission issues. If you have documentation of recent intake gaskets plus a tranny rebuild you should be okay otherwise be prepared to drop $3000 on said repairs. Run forest run without said documentation.

Space is another issue. They have low interior volume compared to cars of similar size. Definitely not all true midsized. My Taurus seems cavernous compare to my 2001 Buick also.

If you are looking at pontiacs of that vintage, may I recommend a Grand Prix or a Bonneville with the 3800? Easy on oil, many last well into the 300k-350k region with original drivetrains, and aren't too shabby looking. Do watch for intake/intake gasket failure and coolant bypass tube failure. Dorman makes a good replacement intake, fel-pro makes a good replacement gasket set, and you can find aluminum bypass tubes to use in place of the problem-prone plastic ones.

Lot's of little goofy problems. Still my favorite of the N-body cars.

Some are what I like to call "Ether Bunnies". Make sure the engine is cold when you check it out. If it doesn't start without starting fluid, it's an "Ether Bunny".

Passkey is fussy. Getting an OE key cut from the VIN usually remedies that. The resistor in the aftermarket keys is usually too small and doesn't make contact.

Usual 60° OHV V6 GM intake problems.

Peeling and warping on the dashboard is common. Not as bad as a 1st gen Kia Sephia, but pretty bad.

Window regulators are cheaply made too.

But the car feels more powerful than it is. (V6) It feels as powerful as an Altima SE-R....it's not. It's a mid-7 second 0-60 car. But it is fun and feels quick.

reliable car those engines are very good some say the intake gaskets go bad and i have seen that but there were thousands and thousands of those gm engines made and a lot of them are still running good

Some people aren't gonna like what I'm gonna say.

The GM 3.1 & 3.4 V6 motors are absolute garbage. My brother had a 3.1 in a 1999 Buick Century, head gasket blew. My mom has a 2003 Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4, also garbage.

And I'm a die-hard Chevy man too.

The engine itself is fine its the cheap gaskets that need to be updated to rubber/metal variants.

The transmission is just like any auto box, it has some issues but you can get at least 100k out of them.

My 2002 still has pass key working file and only acted up one time since I've had it.

The intake gasket issue does not affect the 2004 model year; not saying you couldn't have an issue down the road, but GM woke up during the 2003 model year. Ask any dealer that serviced Pontiac.
Having said that, the 2.2 ecotec is the better engine of the two and if I was looking at 2004 Grand Am's that you be my choice.
The 3.4 may serve you well and if the price is right, the GA has no more or less issues than others.
My mother drives a 2002 GA 2.2, second owner, bought it with 133k, 2 years ago, no issues. Daughter has a 2003 GA 2.2, original owner 104k, no issues; I do all the fluids including trans. Another daughter had a 2002 3.4; had an ignition trans interlock problem. That one did have the IM problem but it was totaled by another driver before we had to take it apart.
No IM gasket problem with the 2004's.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And I'm a die-hard Chevy man too.

But you have a Toyota listed in your sig......

I don't even know if I should jump on the band wagon here but!
I don't recomemd the GrandAm's as they are amongst the most problematic cars of their generation. And in some specific years/generations, they are the worst!

Space efficiency sucks! Very cramped and clostorphobic feeling considering their exterior size. Though, I do like the GA's ride/handling and overall solid feeling and drivetrain. It's just the overall problems that the GA's experience. Not saying that there aren't many happy owners but, their owner satisfaction is typicaly very low.

I agree with Red91. If it's Pontiac's in particular that you're looking at then, the GP/Bonny is the choice w/3800. If it's just a used car that you need/want, look elsewhere!

I have my favorites that I recomend to folks in my circle and, they've done very well based on my recomendations. But, my recomendations are based on history, reports, reviews. Not my own personal preferences unless the two go hand-in-hand!

Last edited:
Ram man, few questions... are you buying from owner or a dealer? Trim level? rust? 2 door, 4 door?
can't speak from experience but in regards to space, you will not be driving a basketball team around or moving washers and dryers. one owner tells me a responsible owner, musta liked car he kept it longer than most people. since you are here at bitog, you can handle any problems a used car throws at you. save some money too.
car is 10 years old, stuff is gonna wear out... If this car was located here in the northeast, it would be ready for scrap with the winter and salt...
Car sounds pretty good to me, play around with the shocks, some good rubber and a real nice handler... would be fun to drive. depending on the price, sounds like a good "project" would like to see some pics.
keep us informed.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No convenient outlets to plug in the mullet clippers
Joke went over my head :-(

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: eljefino
No convenient outlets to plug in the mullet clippers
Joke went over my head :-(

Guess that explains why the drivers haven't trimmed their mullets since the 80s!

These cars aren't bad, they have solid power trains but do have some minor issues like passkey. They run forever with minimal maintenance and can be picked up for next to nothing.

We had a 2000 Grand Am with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. It was a four door SE1 with the power roof and a spoiler.

Yes, it was cheap and plasticy. Paid $3500 for it in 2008, with 78,000 miles on it. It put up with a boatload of abuse, and held together. It was my teenage niece's car. She even took it to Florida once.

I ran 5w-30 MaxLife in it, and changed it per the OLM. The 2.4 was flawless on the MaxLife, and didn't have to add any oil between changes.

Given our experience, I'd do the 4 cylinder again. For what we paid, it was a bargain. She traded it in on a ex-rental fleet 2011 Impala, which was yet another bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back