Michelin LTX MS/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Michelin LTX MS/2's on my '08 Tundra. They are a good all round tire, but they are not a good snow tire. To leave my driveway, I have about 90 degree turn onto a 10% incline. I have to come to a complete stop before making the 90 degree turn. Earlier this winter the truck did it no problem with the LTX's, even with around 6" of snow, but in 4WD. The "A-trac" system did flash a couple of times though on occasion with these tires. My Tundra has the A-trac which essentially is an E-LSD for 4WD.

Later this winter I switched to my Yokohama Geolander i/t g072 tires and it was night and day difference from the Michelins in the snow. No more plowing in the corners, no more ABS kicking on in the stops, and I can usually make it out of my driveway in 2WD with no weight in the rear. In 4WD, the A-Trac system never kicks in. My brother has BFG's AT T/A's and also dedicated winter tires. These tires do have the winter rating (unlike the Michelins). With the BFG's he needed 4WD to climb his driveway, with the winters, he could do it in 2WD.

Bottom line, even with 4WD, true winter tires make a big difference and anything else is just a compromise.

Originally Posted By: supton
In a really low traction situation I bet you'd have three tires spinning, not four, unless if Ford is pulling brake lines up front to tame wheel spin also. Should still be a front open diff, unless if it too has an ELD.

I have not had that happen yet (even in the mud). I know that both are pulling in the front I have seen the results in the sand as I have turned while gunning it pretty hard. All in all, I am satisfied with the performance of my Ford as a 4WD in all climates.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
The tires are 265/70-16. They are not OE, nor designated as such. They were purchased from DTD about three years ago. I realize there IS an OE version that is used on some larger SUV's. The mileage warranty for the Latitudes is 65,000 vs 70,000 for the LTX M/S2. The wife averages a little less than 7K miles per year. Her type of driving is hard on batteries, exhaust systems, oil, tires and maybe more.

I am starting to agree with mrsilv04. I posted originally because I am not sure paying for a premium tire is going to be cost effective in her scenario.

Well, pulled the trigger on some General Grabber HTS's. Will be installed tomorrow. Probably saved close to $300 over the Michelins. Will just have to see how these cheaper tires wear given my wife's driving routine.

When I bought my used Silverado 1500 , my brother commented that they had Michelin tires and "someone put some money into them". Those tires lasted for almost 90,000 miles before the wear strip went across the tread. They rode/wore very nice and because of that great experience, I'm looking to put another set of Michelins back on. The truck currently has 242,000 miles on with free, 2/3 wore out oversized Michelins from my brother's stash of the same style, just E load rated which makes for a rougher ride/gas mileage penalty too. So 70,000 mile tire life could take me quite far before the next set. Incredible tires!

I've liked my Michelin LTX-M/S-2 tires pretty well.

Truck: 2007 Tacoma Access Cab V6 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Pkg.

Tires: Michelin LTX M/S-2

Size: 265/75-16 (OEM tires were 265/70-16)

Miles on truck and date when installed: 58,101, 24-Aug. 2010

Current miles: 127,010

Likes: Good grip in all situations. Never tried any deep mud or serious off-road stuff. After all it's a 2WD truck, but the rear locking diff can get me out of minor situations.

Dislikes: I've never been able to get them to balance. Steering wheel always shakes at certain speeds on the highway. After several tries, Sears finally sent me to a facility that had a Road Force balancer. They stayed in balance...for a while. This was when I first bought them.

I'd say tread life/wear has been average, especially since this is a pretty light truck. I'm at 68,909 miles on them now and they're almost to the wear bars, as you'll see in pics below. Admittedly, I like to drive fast and take corners pretty aggressively.

I have considered going ahead and replacing them, since I am starting to experience a little bit of hydroplaning in the wet.

All in all, I really can't complain about them, except for the fact that they refuse to be balanced.

When they were new:

Today, after 68,909 miles:

As you can see, almost to the wear bars, but not quite.

I don't have a tread depth gauge, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You've got a lot of inside wear, when is the last time you had the truck aligned?

Never

Might want to get that checked
wink.gif

You've got a lot of inside wear, when is the last time you had the truck aligned?

Never

Might want to get that checked
wink.gif

Yeah, never had it aligned because it's always tracked straight as an arrow. Why fix it if it ain't broke, ya know?

Hadn't noticed it had more wear inside until snapping that photo.

May have it aligned when I buy a new set of tires, but I'm apprehensive about having it aligned when it doesn't pull left or right at all.

Yeah, there are only certain conditions that will cause it to pull. But bad alignment can have a rather significant affect on tire wear.

Likes: Good grip in all situations. Never tried any deep mud or serious off-road stuff. After all it's a 2WD truck, but the rear locking diff can get me out of minor situations.

Dislikes: I've never been able to get them to balance. Steering wheel always shakes at certain speeds on the highway. After several tries, Sears finally sent me to a facility that had a Road Force balancer. They stayed in balance...for a while. This was when I first bought them.

I'd say tread life/wear has been average, especially since this is a pretty light truck. I'm at 68,909 miles on them now and they're almost to the wear bars, as you'll see in pics below. Admittedly, I like to drive fast and take corners pretty aggressively.

I have considered going ahead and replacing them, since I am starting to experience a little bit of hydroplaning in the wet.

All in all, I really can't complain about them, except for the fact that they refuse to be balanced.

When they were new:

Off-road package on a 2wd truck? Now that's an oxymoron lol.

I'm really more concerned about figuring out why this set of tires wouldn't balance. I've even swapped tires around trying to isolate which one(s) is causing it.

Could just be a bad set.

Originally Posted By: volk06

When they were new:

Off-road package on a 2wd truck? Now that's an oxymoron lol.

Well, kinda.

It is 2WD, but the TRD Off-Road Package model has more ground clearance, gas shocks, skid plates, and an electronically-locking rear differential.

I don't go wheeling, and I'll never take the truck through anything more serious than a gravel road or a muddy field when I'm unloading my dirt bike at the trailhead. I get better mileage and it's less maintenance for me, less to go wrong, etc. That's why I chose this set of tires - the truck is going down the highway or the boulevard 99% of the time.

I'm really more concerned about figuring out why this set of tires wouldn't balance. I've even swapped tires around trying to isolate which one(s) is causing it.

Could just be a bad set.

Well, perhaps the funky wear pattern has something to do with it?

Could just be a bad set.

I don't think so, because the tires have been impossible to balance from day 1.

Could just be a bad set.

Hmmmm, do they all not balance or?

Could just be a bad set.

Hmmmm, do they all not balance or?

Well, the steering wheel shook at highway speeds when they were brand new, so I took it back for them to re-balance. Steering wheel still shook, so I suspected one or more tires was out-of-round. So I started swapping tires around myself, to see if I could isolate which one it was.

I couldn't, so I went back to Sears. They then sent me to a wheel shop that had a Road Force balancer. The Road Force got them in balance - for 2 or 3 months. Then it was back to the shaking steering wheel.

It's weird because it's an intermittent thing - seems to be at least partially dependent on temperature.

Eventually I gave up and accepted that there was going to sometimes be some steering wheel vibration, at certain ambient outside temperatures and speeds. Learned to live with it. I don't have the time or the patience to harangue Sears about it.

Incidentally, they initially tried to tell me I had a bent wheel, which I called them out on. It was a lie to try to get me out of their hair. I'm a mechanic and I know how to inspect a component for variance. None of the wheels are bent.

If it happens on my next set of tires, I'm going to stick to my guns and demand another brand-new set.

I have the X-Radial LT (Sam's equivalent to the old non 2 M/S)that are 6 years old now but only 40K miles. Never had any problems with them. If money is no object they are in my opinion the best tires you can get. Not sure if I can spring for them next time though since I only drive about 4K miles a year now.

So reading all this, I think the problem is not the tires but something else.

First, tire vibrations would be there all the time at certain speeds. It would not be intermittent, but it would be speed related. Get to that certain speed and it should show up every time. Accelerating, or coasting should make no difference.

Also, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that ALL the tires have the same problem. What is MOST likely is that ONE tire would be a problem - and not only would RoadForcing the assembly isolate it, swapping the tires around the vehicle should reveal which one it is as well.

So I don't think your vibration has to do with tires. But we will see when you replace them. If the vibration remains, then the problem is something else.

I don't see how that much (or little) inside wear, after that many miles, is such a huge issue.

That's less wear than on the inside of my tires, after 45,000 miles, and mine was aligned after the front end was worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back