Toyota OEM v.s. K&N v.s. M1 filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 03 Toyota Matrix with a 1zz-fe engine. I'd like to get the best posible filtration I can get with a spin on oil filter(maybee bypass later). Which of the above filters should be the best for running 7-10k intervals?

--Matt

If you can get a hold of Toyota Denso Filters (90915-10003), the yellow foam type, those are probably the best.

Amsoil SDF filter score the best in the SAE806 tests I have seen thus I would say they are the best filters available assuming you are willing to spend $9.00 a filter and can deal with ordering them via mailorder.

If someone has test results of another brand of filter that scores better, I'd like to see them.

I like OEM Toyota/Denso filters. The K&N is average filtration, excellent construction quality, and higher flow for modified engines with oversized oil pumps. The Mobil 1 filter is made by the same company as the K&N oil filter (Champion Laboratories), but made for normal flow and finer filtration. For about the same filtration as the Mobil 1 filter but lower cost, I'd get the Purolator Pure One. I use Toyota/Denso filters. I've been using ones with the fiberglass mat media (not really yellow foam), and when those are gone, I'll try the ones with paper-type pleated media.

Ken

I've been using the toyota filters up until now. Looks like maybee I should stick with them?

--Matt

One caution on Toyota/Denso filters. I've seen three different desings and some confusing number crossovers. There are the straight pleated paper type that I have cut on my site, a combination pleated paper and horizontal mass, and the foam (which hasn't made it to here yet). I've seen the first two with the same numbers. Although the pleated paper one is decent, it doesn't have as much area as others.
How do you know what's inside what you buy withoug cutting it open?

quote:

I've been using the toyota filters up until now. Looks like maybee I should stick with them?

Not just any toyota filter. Get the made in japan Denso filters, not the made in the usa purolator filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back