Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Nissan Altima, 4cyl with 77k miles on it. All of my driving is city driving, bumper to bumper, stop and go. I recently switched to synthetic oil and used Penzoil Platinum with a FRAM Ultra oil filter. I was told that the only way to go is Mobile 1 full synthetic with a Mobile 1 advance performance oil filter. I am asking for some help and advice on this.

What do you feel is the best synthetic 5W-30 oil / filter combo for my car and type of driving?

A lot of people think Mobil 1 or nothing. And that all Fram is garbage.

In the end, if you aren't going crazy with trying to eek every last mile out of the oil, both are very suitable oils. I don't know if one would last longer than the other in your situation.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
You made the right choice already.

I agree completely!

Welcome to BITOG. Read and learn over the years as we all have and you'll find lots of information about oil/filters.
You might even discover that you may like another combo even better
smile.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to forum! What is your change interval? If it's 3-5K miles, then you would be fine with a conventional as well. Boston traffic sucks, but IMO it's not THAT tough on an engine (I work in Boston).

The Pennzoil and Ultra are a great combo. Oh, not that I'm anal (some are) but being neighborly, there is no "e" in Mobil 1.

I have an '04 Altima 2.5S and have been liking Quaker State Green Bottle(QSGB) and a PureONE Filter(P1). Or QS Ultimate Durability(QSUD/QSGB mix). The 2.5 seems to like these oils. Runs a bit smoooth(er) & quiet(er) than with many other oils.

Yea, it likes PYB/PP too
smile.gif
I just find better deals on QS oils which may be similar oils but, not exact oils as Penn(PYB/PP)

I currently have 2qts PP/2.5 qts QSGB mix(all 5W30) for my winter OCI.

The engine has been quiet(er) on those ZERO degree evenings at startup and while driving, as this engine can(CAN) experience timing chain rattle for the first few minutes while driving down the road after a cold startup.

And the idle after warm up is less rattley(not noisy, just audiable) on QS oils as compared to some(SOME) other oils...Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
Both Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 are excellent oils. You really will do great with either. There is no reason that you have to go with M1 in your application (and that is coming from an M1 fan).

The Fram Ultra is a great filter. The M1 filter is good as well, but is a semi synthetic filter element while the Ultra is full synthetic. Again, if you aren't doing crazy long oil runs you could use either or and not notice a difference. In fact, if you are going 7500 or below on your oil I would probably recommend using a PureOne filter. But that is just me.

BTW, WELCOME!

PP and a Fram Ultra is a great choice! I wouldnt change anything if you like that combo, if anything run a Tough Guard next time.

OP

You've made a fine choice already. Remember that the filter is an extended drain filter. I running a fram ultra for 20000-25000 miles on this interval.
The whole Mobil comment you heard came from a fanboy who fits a certain profile.
They tend to not know much,but know everything and make sure you know they know and only what they know is right.
When the truth of the matter isn't so.
The M1 line is on the same tier as pennzoil platinum as is Quaker state ultimate durability and I consider them basically equal and 10000 mile(minimum)drain capable in a clean,well maintained engine.
I buy these brands whenever they go on sale and I stockpile them. I have never paid full price for oil and my stash was all bought when they cost less than they conventional counterparts.
As a bitoger your first duty is to start building up an oil stash. Then periodically posts pics of the stash in the threads provided so we can all discuss each other's stashes.
Bitogery is a sickness I tell ya.

I know nothing about PP other than what some here post and I doubt if they have used PP very long, but my experience with M1 goes back to 1978. I have used it in many differant types of engines, all at 10K OCIs. I have never had an engine show signs of wear, all of them stay very clean, with several engines over 200K and one Ford engine over 350K and still running great. Also remember that the oil you use is far more important that the filter you use.

Both are oils that will let your engine run long enough for something else to go fatally wrong with your car.
wink.gif

Go by price point. PP is $22 for 5 quarts here in Ohio, so I would recommend that.

Just PERSONAL opinion: If you're going to go Pennzoil, either go with Yellow Bottle and save money, or go with Ultra and get your money's worth. Platinum, IMO, isn't clearly enough better than PYB to justify the price. Ultra has a different and high-tech (Gas-to-Liquid process) base stock.

So between your two choices, Mobil 1 oil all the way.

Filter choice depends on your drain interval. If you take advantage of the longer drain intervals you can reach with either of those oils, then the M1 filter is a good choice. But for the $$, I'd probably pick a Purolator Synthetic or a Fram Ultra (best bang for the buck on the market right now). In the M1's price class, you can get a full-synthetic media filter like the Puro Synth, Royal Purple, Asoil EAO, etc. and the Ultra is a synthetic media at an even lower price. So the M1 filter is a bit out-dated IMO. Its top notch, but there's more to be had for the dollar out there.

Pennzoil Platinum is a great oil. Mobil 1 in that same viscosity would be a similar/rival product. I would feel very good using Pennzoil Platinum.

The Ultra filter is great, but if you do regular oil changes, like 7000 miles or less, you could use a Purolator Pure One, Bosch, etc. filter that might save you a couple bucks.

What oil did you use previously?

There is nothing mystical that makes Mobil 1 better than competitors, and I am a fan of Mobil 1, so feel confident in your Pennzoil Platinum choice!

I have run both in both my cars with nothing but good results.
I buy whichever one is cheaper at W-M at the time. Right now it's M1 EP 5w20 in the CR-V and M1 0w20 in the Pilot. I was a PP loyalist for a long time but when a 0w20 is on the shelf and it costs the same as PP, I choose the Mobil.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Fram Ultra is better than the Mobil 1 filter, PP vs M1 is a coin flip. Make it a Pennzoil Ultra / Fram Ultra change and your golden.

I agree about Fram Ultra filter, depending on your oil change interval, I would personally run it at least for two oil changes or the whole 15,000 miles guarantee as long as you have a healthy engine. why waste money when you don't have to.

As far as oil goes, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle if your doing a normal OCI, and Pennzoil Platinum/Mobil 1 if your willing to do ATLEAST 10,000 OCI as anything less to me if not worth the cost of those oils. Pennzoil Ultra if your willing to go more then 10,000 but if your going anything more then 10,000 do a Used Oil Analysis to see the condition of the oil by then.

What is your oil/filter change interval ? If you aren't doing extended drains the P1 filter maybe a better choice because of price and efficiency. Personally I think the Ultra is the finest synthetic made factoring price and efficiency. I've used Mobil-1 and Platinum with no issues. When Pennsoil had their $10 off rebates on 5 qts. I bought 5 jugs at an average of $12.97 per jug.
Run what you have and tell us how you like that combo.

+1 ...I would also add WIX and NAPA Gold Oil Filters to the list.
Originally Posted By: SF0059
Both Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 are excellent oils. You really will do great with either. There is no reason that you have to go with M1 in your application (and that is coming from an M1 fan).

The Fram Ultra is a great filter. The M1 filter is good as well, but is a semi synthetic filter element while the Ultra is full synthetic. Again, if you aren't doing crazy long oil runs you could use either or and not notice a difference. In fact, if you are going 7500 or below on your oil I would probably recommend using a PureOne filter. But that is just me.

BTW, WELCOME!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back