23psi bpv oil filter for WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sjstangman
Originally Posted By: 94exa2
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...X&year=2005

They both say 14-18 psi to me. Maybe they change their website when I look it. If their site say 14-18 when I look, I don't want it.

Your link is for the 14612. I linked to the 14460... completely different filters.

Based on this link it should fit the 2005 but not the 2006 and up.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148430

I just went to the Purolator website and put in 2005 Subaru Wrx, and those are the filters they suggest. Not the correct bypass valve so I will pass.

I guess I am looking for more information on the new Subaru H6 Tokyo Roki, and newer Mazda Rx8 Tokyo Roki oil filters. Or a source to get the older oem Subaru TR oil filters meant for my car lol.

It appears the TR filter that is for the S2 RX8 is N3R1-14-302. y Pass rating is 20.3—26.1 PSI About $10+ ea. with crush washers (pack of 6) delivered (2 places I checked) Filter is longer

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
It appears the TR filter that is for the S2 RX8 is N3R1-14-302. y Pass rating is 20.3—26.1 PSI About $10+ ea. with crush washers (pack of 6) delivered (2 places I checked) Filter is longer

Do you know of any Tokyo Roki filters that could be bought from Subaru other than the (larger diameter) H6 filter? I would love a TR of the correct size, instead of being much fatter or stick down to far from being to tall. And needs 23 psi bypass valve..

Originally Posted By: Eddie
WIX has the correct filter as 901 states. Is it possible that the NAPA GOLD for the WRX is the same?

He's apparently hung up on the size of it. The same recommendations were made on nasioc, but he doesn't want to use the "tiny" wix filter, but only wants the tokyo roki filter that's discontinued here, or info on whether the RX8's big tokyo roki filter will work.

Cannot help much more than we have . Wix/Napa is perfect for his car. Good quality, right specs, priced right..easily found..but? Size which is fine for one model year later tha his is an issue? . Same with Mazda S2 RX8 filter that he inquired about. Helped with the research, found that it fits, although longer.Right spec;s he was concerned about. Found out pricing...Now seemingly only, wants something that hasn't been made in years. Oh well.

I'm not hung up on the size. Same size as oem Subaru blue filter right?
IF I can find the correct To Ro filters before my next oil change I will buy those.
IF one of the other Subaru Tokyo Roki filters (that seem to still be bought from the dealer) would work perfect, I would consider those. Same with Rx8.

Apparently the correct size Purolator has the wrong bypass valve, and the Purolator with the correct bypv is to0 large (diameter).

So Wix 57712 is really the ONLY non-oem oil filter with the correct 23psi? Would I be smart to trust Wix over Fram? lol

I've read quite about about the Wix having a very small filter media, and not being able to flow enough for the Subaru oil pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Cannot help much more than we have . Wix/Napa is perfect for his car. Good quality, right specs, priced right..easily found..but? Size which is fine for one model year later tha his is an issue? . Same with Mazda S2 RX8 filter that he inquired about. Helped with the research, found that it fits, although longer.Right spec;s he was concerned about. Found out pricing...Now seemingly only, wants something that hasn't been made in years. Oh well.

Its not that I want ONLY the filter discontinued by SOA years ago, but, I would prefer those if I could find a box.

So all this about the Wix "being too small" is only for the 06+ 2.5?

I'm not hung up on the size. Same size as oem Subaru blue filter right?

I've read quite about about the Wix having a very small filter media, and not being able to flow enough for the Subaru oil pump.

If those two filters are about the same physical size, then how does their media surface area compare? Does the same physical sized OEM have that much more media?

I appreciate the options given, but 99% of them don't have the 23psi bypass valve.

I appreciate the options given, but 99% of them don't have the 23psi bypass valve.

Suggest contacting Purolator and ask them why they spec a filter for that car that doesn't have the higher bypass valve setting. I think everyone would like to here what Purolator says about that.
whistle.gif

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/pages/ContactUs.aspx

Personally I use the oem blue subaru filter with my legacy.

I would use the 57712 wix/napa gold, but my knock on it would be it's flow rated at 9-11gpm. According to the factory service manual, the oil pump in my 2009 legacy is rated 1.2gpm @600rpm, 12.42gpm @5000rpm. The manual also says "or more" next to these values, so when my car is near red line at around 6300rpm, is my oil pump pushing around 15.64gpm?

The oem subaru oil filter is the only filter I trust to be designed with these specifications in mind, especially the high flow rating. Most aftermarket oil filter ive seen are rated at 8-11gpm or 9-11gpm.

Despite its more robust appearance, a member here said the old toyo roki filters bypass valve started to open at 18psi, not 23psi. He suspected that might be why subaru switched suppliers.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1559859

I don't like that the rx8 filter goes into bypass later than the subaru filter, @26.1psi vs subaru 23.2psi. I'm ok with the bypass opening a little too early, but not with it opening late if the engine needs the extra oil flow.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Personally I use the oem blue subaru filter with my legacy.

I would use the 57712 wix/napa gold, but my knock on it would be it's flow rated at 9-11gpm. According to the factory service manual, the oil pump in my 2009 legacy is rated 1.2gpm @600rpm, 12.42gpm @5000rpm. The manual also says "or more" next to these values, so when my car is near red line at around 6300rpm, is my oil pump pushing around 15.64gpm?

The oem subaru oil filter is the only filter I trust to be designed with these specifications in mind, especially the high flow rating. Most aftermarket oil filter ive seen are rated at 8-11gpm or 9-11gpm.

Despite its more robust appearance, a member here said the old toyo roki filters bypass valve started to open at 18psi, not 23psi. He suspected that might be why subaru switched suppliers.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1559859

I don't like that the rx8 filter goes into bypass later than the subaru filter, @26.1psi vs subaru 23.2psi. I'm ok with the bypass opening a little too early, but not with it opening late if the engine needs the extra oil flow.

My concerns exactly. Ive always read that most "aftermarket" oil filters dont flow enough for the Subaru oil pump, plus the lack of correct bypass valve.

Ive always read that most "aftermarket" oil filters dont flow enough for the Subaru oil pump, plus the lack of correct bypass valve.

Where's the proof of that? Have you seen actual tests of flow vs. PSID for those filters, like the graph shown below? Or is it just some keyboard jockey's theory?

Based on this data from Purolator, this PureOne could flow enough for a Subaru oil pump. A 5 PSID at 12 GPM isn't really much pressure drop when you think about it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

PureOneflowdata.jpg

When you pull up the specs for the wix 57712 oil filter, they state the following "Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM". I'll openly admit I don't know much about psid and pressure across the filter media. But what I do know is that they say that the max flow rate is 9-11gpm, and the subaru oil pump clearly exceeds that at times. So to the layman like myself, that concerns me.

When you pull up the specs for the wix 57712 oil filter, they state the following "Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM". I'll openly admit I don't know much about psid and pressure across the filter media. But what I do know is that they say that the max flow rate is 9-11gpm, and the subaru oil pump clearly exceeds that at times. So to the layman like myself, that concerns me.

Two questions:

1) Is this max oil flow volume specified by Subaru (as stated by 94exa2 above) the actual flow volume that goes through the filter & engine, or the gross flow volume the oil pump can put out with no resistance on the outlet of the pump? If it's the latter, it doesn't necessarily mean all of that flow goes through the filter & engine oiling system. Where is the spec/documentation that clearly states the oil flow that is actually going through the engine is 12~15 GPM as stated by 94exa2 above?

2) Is the WIX 57712 specified by WIX for the Subaru engine with such a high volume oil pump? If so, why did WIX specify that filter knowing the Subaru has such a high volume oiling system? WIX specified a higher 23 psi bypass valve, so they must know some performance details of the Subaru engine(s) they are specifying filters for.

Also, the "max flow" spec that WIX advertises means exactly what? The flow with X viscosity oil that results in the bypass valve opening? Or what ... ???

Sounds like a good question for someone to email WIX about to get some engineering input/clarification on what their "max flow" spec number really means.

What "max flow" spec would you tack on to the PureOne Flow vs PSID graph above? ... 18 ~ 20 GPM because that's about when the bypass valve would start to open? What I'm saying here is you have to fully understand what WIX's "max flow" spec really means to understand the real capability of the oil filter.

So have you actually seen any flow vs PSID data on the Subaru OEM oil filter? How do you really know it flows any better than say the WIX/NAPA Gold?

Keep in mind that these well known brand name aftermarket oil filter companies that specify one of their oil filters for these Subarus also claim that their oil filter meets OEM manufacturer's performance specs, and they warranty the filter to not cause any engine damage in their warranty claim statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back