New Redline 5w30 diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2014 BMW 328d diesel (four pot direct injection single turbo). BMW wants it to run on a 5w30 oil that is BMW LL04 approved. Normal oil temp is 210 F. with rpms in street op usually between 1500 to 2000 rpms. What would be the advantage of, or the need for, running an ester base lube like the Redline in a pcmo diesel, particularly one under mfr warranty for four years?

Here's the Redline - http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=142&pcid=21

Keep in mind that Motul, which makes some pretty good ester base lubes, does not have a pcmo ester base oil for diesels, and its home market, Europe, is predominately diesels. I would think that if there's a significant argument for a Grp V ester base diesel oil, Motul would be making it.

Last edited:
If it meets the spec and you're doing factory intervals and daily driving... no real advantage except that it'll work just fine.

Amsoil makes a 5w-30 ll-04 as well

Whatever you run make sure it is low saps.

BMW runs fairly long OCI in Europe

We don't get the 328d over here, is it just a high powered 2.0?

Biggest issue with BMW diesels is Dpf regen issues

But the fuel economy and emissions are so good on modern BM's it is worth the risk.

Did your come with the option of Adblue/Urea ?

I forgot to mention: The 328d is essentially the same as the 320d in Europe (n47 diesel engine). The U.S. version does have the urea fluid injection in the exhaust (its called diesel emission fluid or def here). The standard BMW OCI for all U.S. 2014 and forward BMW's (diesel and gas) has been reduced to 10k mi. The factory spec'd oil for the U.S. diesels is Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w30, API SM, CF, ACEA C3. I think it's low saps but I'm not positive. I know there are several other oils (FUCHS, Motul, Mobil 1) that are BMW LL04 approved that are low saps.

I thought it may just be the 2.0

Got to love BMWs new(ish) numbering system sometimes.

The Castrol Professional oils are trade only in the UK mostly.

They are widely used by Ford, Volvo and Jaguar apparently.

I think due to the rather strict specs on oils these days.

I couldn't even find the Castrol product for my Jag. And i wasn't paying Jag dealer prices!

I put in Shell 5w30 C1, AFL i think.

Since then had a service at 95k at Jaguar and they out in whatever they stock, should have asked really!

I believe there is a Motul Specific product for my vehicle, is there a chance there is one for yours aswell?

Redline and Amsoil are too expensive to be practical in the UK sadly.

Double max US retail prices usually, sometimes double the $ price but in £.

I would personally be tempted to go 10k in the UK in a similar vehicle. I think the oci here is around 15k or 18k, might even be more.

Hopefully your DEF system will help to reduce any future DPF problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back