Polaris 2w50 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Polaris Trailblazer last weekend. It calls for 2w50 which I cant find. The Stealer said 5w50 would be fine and I agree. But whats up with that weird oil weight?

Yes, we have a Polaris at work and I noticed that 2w50 oil requirement on the information plate. I thought it was a typo but maybe it is a dealer only oil?

there is no such thing. They are saying to use a dealer only oil.

you could always use eneos 0w50 or similar.

Polaris just wants you to think you have to use their "special" fluids. I refuse to use Polaris fluids of any sort. I like their machines but I don't like their practice of having many different fluids with confusing names to make the consumer think nothing else will work.

On the Polaris forums, the #1 suggested oil is Rotella T6, as Polaris has only recently gone to an x-50 spec and most Polaris owners scoff at the need for it. Mobil1 0-40 is another popular choice.

Those that use x-50 oils usually use Castrol 5-50, Red Line 5/10-50, or Mobil1 15-50. No one suggests any 20-50 oil.

I am about to change out my 15-50 for Castrol 5-50. I may try T6, eventually.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 2w50 thing was complete marketing. I use 5w50 Schaeffer's in mine without problems. Many use Mobil 1 0w40 with good results also. A few years ago Polaris back-speced everything to a 2w50 then later admitted that it was actually 5w50. Well now they say 10w50 is ok too. I prefer to stay with a xw50 and plan to run 10w50 when I deplete my stash of 5w50.

My 2013 RZR used a quart over the course of 2 oil changes and 42 engine hours on Polaris oil. I just changed it again and used Castrol 5w-50. I hope it quits using oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
My 2013 RZR used a quart over the course of 2 oil changes and 42 engine hours on Polaris oil. I just changed it again and used Castrol 5w-50. I hope it quits using oil.

My 570 didn't use a drop in 50 hours and around 400 miles on M1 15-50. I don't think I will ever run it in cold enough weather for it to be too thick but there was a notable difference in cranking speed/effort between a 70 degree day and a 40 degree day, though. We'll see how the 5-50 does.

Report back on the difference in cranking speed on the 5w50 vs 15w50. I have wondered just how heavy I could go on the cold side and still get decent start-up protection.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Report back on the difference in cranking speed on the 5w50 vs 15w50. I have wondered just how heavy I could go on the cold side and still get decent start-up protection.

I'd have loved to, but I won't be using it. Napa 15w50 can be had for $3.49/qt. That's unbeatable. I'm not the biggest fan of Valvoline but money is suddenly very tight due to some medical issues, so I can't be choosey.

I use 10w40 conventional oil. I just changed oil in the Polaris 700 today and used 10w40 Castrol Start-up, I bought on clearance. Polaris four stroke engines would probably be the least fussy four stroke atv, you will find. They have no wet clutch in there. They are basically just four stroke motors I have used 5w40, 15w40, 15w50 and 10w40 without any issues or differences. I wouldn't hesitate to use 10w30 either. Ive used 10w30 in generators, lawnmowers and Honda ATCs. I understand, they cost so much, so your concerned about what oil to use. One thing is for sure Polaris oil is a rip-off.

I like M1 5w50 over their 15w50 anyday. Better add, it's a THIN 50 weight, and it's got better cold pumpability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back