Fram Extra Guard on Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The type of oil filters in my town is becoming more and more restricted..meaning I've only got the choice of Fram orange can, Fram Extra Guard, or Super Tech filters at wally world or O'Reilly's.

My question: is the Jeep 4.0 engine (1991 Cherokee) picky about the type of oil filter it uses? I have used Purolator filters in the past, but now I have to drive 10 miles south to the next town in order to buy a Purolator one.

This Jeep has been sitting for 6 months (bad radiator, soon to be replaced next month) and I plan on changing out the old oil, after the radiator gets installed. It's just that I am limited to a supply of filter types around here.

Any suggestions on the brand? Has Fram gotten better on quality?

GL

Last edited:
I have seen a very small supply of Motorcraft at WM.

Will check to see if they have the right model....I assume MC is a good brand, as compared to the others?

Side note: I also jumped over to the Jeep Forum website...and someone over there complained that the MotorCraft filter is a cause for more noise at engine warm up. These motors are noisy enough as it is.

Last edited:
The Motorcraft FL-1A will work well and has great availability. If your Jeep hasn't been picky about filters in the past I'd not be too concerned. The Fram orange can is the Extra Guard, they are well known for start up rattle on Jeeps but the Tough Guard (the silver one) is an excellent filter, I'm running one now in fact. So if you can get the silver Tough Guard Frams those would be fine although a bit pricey for short OCI's.

The Motorcrafts are better values though and a personal favorite, as well as extremely popular here on BITOG.

O'Reilly's also has Motorcraft as well as the now Wix made Microgards which have worked well for me also. I think your options are not as limited as you think, although Puro's apparently are not on the menu. Your Wally's doesn't have Puro Classics? They brought those in most of them last year, SuperTechs are gone now AFAIK.

The Amazon deal always works, or you can also order stuff they don't carry in store on the wal-mart site and have them ship to store for free and you just pick it up.

I've don't use the OCOD on anything, so no personal experience here, but the guys over at cherokeeforum.com say that the Jeep 4.0 does not like the OCOD at all.

The Wal marts around me also carry some Mopar filters routinely. Maybe yours does too. Or get them shipped from another store to your store. OEM stuff. Good luck

I don't know about 1991, but with my old 2000 4.0 Cherokee, I was able to use a larger oil filter from a 5.0 Mustang. It might be something to check into if you're having trouble finding stock where you are.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I don't know about 1991, but with my old 2000 4.0 Cherokee, I was able to use a larger oil filter from a 5.0 Mustang. It might be something to check into if you're having trouble finding stock where you are.

FL1A. Really can't go wrong.

I always use Wix 51085 which is what it calls for, but a Wix 51068 is a little longer and still fits

Just to follow up:

I have a Napa parts near my work (about 7 miles away).

Does anyone know anything about Napa Silver filters, or Napa ProSelect filters? Priced at $3.03 and $3.46 respectively.

From what I have read the Napa Gold filters were/are made by Wix.

Last edited:
NAPA (Wix) = Winner!!!!!!

Get the one with the synthetic element if you're like everyone else here on BITOG.

No problems with the FRAM Tough Guard either.

Even the FRAM orange can of death meets manufacturer's minimum requirements for an oil filter. Millions of them are in service right now, today, without any issues.

Use the best NAPA over anything else.

All the Napa's are made by Wix. I'd suggest at least the Silver though, they work well I've used them. The Golds are even better if you want to spend an extra couple dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back