545RFE a good Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have read that this is a pretty good tranny but i would like to hear more about it. How many miles does yours have and have you had any problems with it? It seems like if the fluid is changed every 30-40,000 miles, its a good tranny.
I have always thought inside, that chrystler transmissions were subpar. Don't really know why.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Have read that this is a pretty good tranny but i would like to hear more about it. How many miles does yours have and have you had any problems with it? It seems like if the fluid is changed every 30-40,000 miles, its a good tranny.
I have always thought inside, that chrystler transmissions were subpar. Don't really know why.

For about 40 years (1950-1990) Chrysler automatic transmissions were regarded as just about the best in the world, though they were getting a bit outdated in the late 80s when everyone else had gone to 4-speeds. Then the notorious front-drive A-604 (41TE) and its other electronic front-drive relatives ruined that reputation, even though the rear-drive transmissions remained very good after getting an overdrive gear in about 91.

The 545RFE is a late 90s design (first called the 45RFE and using only 4 forward speeds). The 545 version uses 5 speeds in sequence upshifting, but has 6 total speeds so it has an alternate gear for kickdown (called 2'- pronounced "two prime"). 2' is also substituted into the shift pattern when "Tow/haul" mode is selected, while the top gear (second overdrive) is dropped out to increase the overall cruising gear ratio.

Normal shift pattern is 1-2-3-4-5. Tow/haul shift pattern is 1-2-2'-3-4. "OD off" shift pattern is 1-2-2'3.

They're just great. I've only got 35k on mine but I know of many with ~200k miles and no hiccups at all. In fact I know very few Ram and Jeep owners that have had any issue with it at all Its a sturdy piece.

Their 3 speeds were excellent. Their 4 speeds were complete garbage.

Except for the 4 speed 45RFE (which was the 545RFE with one gear programmed out ...). In the Ram Trucks if you had the 45RFE, you could use a TCU out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee to make it a 5 speed!

Last edited:
I don't have one but it has a reputation on Jeep forums as being excellent.

IMO the main problem with Chrysler tranny's is 1) They didn't get properly maintained and 2) shops were terrible about putting the correct fluid in them and 3) they made a zillion of those minivans that suffered fates 1 and 2 which created a very negative reputation.

JMO but I used to be horrified of Chrysler products now having had a couple into their golden years I've found them to be just fine if properly taken care of.

the 41te, aka ultradrive, (4 speed FWD used in the minivans and lots of others) did have alot of problems with solenoid packs, valve body quirks, etc. Chrysler worked out alot of the problems over time. the main problem after that was with their early ATF+2 and ATF+3 fluid used in the 90's - it basically degraded by 30k miles.

ATF+4 is a great fluid. the 545RFE is a great tranny. well-regarded, durable, and reliable. I have approx 140k on mine, but have two friends with 200k+ on them. the only better (lighter weight) tranny from Jeep was the AW4 used in the XJ's. actually a japanese Aisian Warner transmission. very very durable - even in plowing duty.

My step mom has 200k on hers. I think she had to do like $750 dollars worth of work on it recently. Some sensor or something, nobody knew. Im sure most of it was tied up in labor. Maybe they had to drop the VB I have no idea. It would keep kicking out into limp-home mode locked in 2nd gear. But, other than regular fluid changes thats not too bad for the miles, I don't think.

The way it was described to me, was second prime is used on downshifts only.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Their 3 speeds were excellent. Their FWD/AWD 4 speeds were complete garbage.

Statement corrected. And I got >150k out of a couple of the FWD junkers without problem, too. But I still think a transmission should outlast the engine and that sure didn't happen

By end-of-production, I'll grant that the 727-based 46RH (RWD and 4x4 truck 4-speed OD) and siblings were getting outdated and kinda clunky because of the way the quasi-computer control was grafted onto them. But they were pretty strong. A fair number had problems unnecessarily because of the stupid anti-drainback valve in the cooler line. That valve was a poor "fix" for a problem that the aftermarket fixed far, far better (modified select valve plunger which turned on fluid circulation in Park just like the factory valve did in Neutral). Still, I know of probably a dozen that are out there running around with 200k on them, some on the original fluid.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

The way it was described to me, was second prime is used on downshifts only.

Depends on the model year and software. Some trucks (up to 2006? 2007?) only have "O/D Off" mode and "Tow Haul" mode doesn't exist on them. On the later ones "Tow Haul" is the only mode where the top O/D is dropped, lower O/D becomes top gear, and 2' acts as third in the shift sequence. At least that's my understanding of it.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
the only better (lighter weight) tranny from Jeep was the AW4 used in the XJ's. actually a japanese Aisian Warner transmission. very very durable - even in plowing duty.

The AW-4 does last forever! My only, only complaint (and its not that big) about it is that I don't like the way it shifts- I've said before it reminds me of a 70s vintage Greyhound bus with an old Detroit 8-71 and an Allison. Kinda greases between gears...
wink.gif

The other thing about the AW4 is that its a LIGHT duty transmission. The XJ is barely a 3000-lb class vehicle, and is still (as far as I know) the heaviest thing that the AW4 was ever installed in, unless some Toyota was a little heavier.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Statement corrected. And I got >150k out of a couple of the FWD junkers without problem, too. But I still think a transmission should outlast the engine and that sure didn't happen

By end-of-production, I'll grant that the 727-based 46RH (RWD and 4x4 truck 4-speed OD) and siblings were getting outdated and kinda clunky because of the way the quasi-computer control was grafted onto them. But they were pretty strong. A fair number had problems unnecessarily because of the stupid anti-drainback valve in the cooler line. That valve was a poor "fix" for a problem that the aftermarket fixed far, far better (modified select valve plunger which turned on fluid circulation in Park just like the factory valve did in Neutral). Still, I know of probably a dozen that are out there running around with 200k on them, some on the original fluid.

Lets not forget all of the dodge trucks with transmission failure and the grand cherokees.

The AW-4 (while not the same model number) showed up in heavier, v8 powered vehicles. 4 Runners, Lexus SUVs in the mid 90s and the Toyota Taco 4 speed.

There's no point in arguing. I will never believe that Chrysler 4 speed automatics are anything but garbage, and you will never believe they are anything but perfect.

Last edited:

Lets not forget all of the dodge trucks with transmission failure and the grand cherokees.

The AW-4 (while not the same model number) showed up in heavier, v8 powered vehicles. 4 Runners, Lexus SUVs in the mid 90s and the Toyota Taco 4 speed.

There's no point in arguing. I will never believe that Chrysler 4 speed automatics are anything but garbage, and you will never believe they are anything but perfect.

The 4 speed RWD/4WD transmissions that are modified versions of the old bulletproof 904/727 Torqueflite do have some faults that can result in failure but I would not call them "garbage" either. I have a '96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 with the 42RE sitting outside with 231K miles on the original transmission. Most 42/44/46RE failures that I have heard of seem to be traced to a bad converter drain back valve (which can be removed), a bad governor pressure sensor/solenoid or a broken 3-4 accumulator spring which can eventually damage the overdrive unit.

The problem with many transmission issues like these is that people keep driving them once they start acting up until they won't move anymore instead of getting the initial problem fixed. Then you usually have a destroyed transmission that may not even be a rebuildable core along with a huge repair bill.

I had the 545 in the 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel I owned (my son has it now), and loved it. Did an excellent job in that Jeep. Handled the 310 lb of low end torque that 2.8L diesel put out, and got tested several times on some good pulls. Like pulling a Interstate Battery truck out of the ditch during an ice storm. Also pulling 300 gallon fuel wagon thru crop fields.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
the only better (lighter weight) tranny from Jeep was the AW4 used in the XJ's. actually a japanese Aisian Warner transmission. very very durable - even in plowing duty.

The AW-4 does last forever! My only, only complaint (and its not that big) about it is that I don't like the way it shifts- I've said before it reminds me of a 70s vintage Greyhound bus with an old Detroit 8-71 and an Allison. Kinda greases between gears...
wink.gif

The other thing about the AW4 is that its a LIGHT duty transmission. The XJ is barely a 3000-lb class vehicle, and is still (as far as I know) the heaviest thing that the AW4 was ever installed in, unless some Toyota was a little heavier.

The Aw-4 was briefly also used in the first year of ZJ production in 4.0L powered ZJ's. It was replaced halfway during first year of production with the 42re.

The 545RFE is a solid trans. They've been in production since 99 and I've never heard of a common major problem with them.

As far as the older trannies, my 46RE is up to 161k now and still going strong. I swapped the valve body for a modded one at 120k and it's got no problem barking the tires into 2nd at WOT with original clutch packs and such. Still shifts as well as it did when I put the new VB in (and better than it did at 100k when I got it). It's been living with more than stock power since 119k too, but that hasn't seemed to bother it. I added a big trans cooler shortly after I got it, but it lived with just the in-radiator one for a bit over 100k. It's seen some time towing and offroad (but not a lot) and more than its fair share of WOT pulls.

I've seen 42REs last fine, but I've seen others fail before 100k (even when the fluid was changed). Some of the issue is owner neglect, but other times, the cooler line check valve fails and in some applications there just wasn't enough cooling stock.

At some point, daimler also went to a common architecture... check it on allpar.

The 41TE, 42/4/6RE, 41LE, and so on are based on the same internals. first number is 3 of gears, 2nd number is the "torque rating," T/L/R transverse/longitudinal/RWD, E "electronically controlled". basic designs are the same but with different shafts/splines/bearings to accommodate different ratings. Example, a 42RE is a 41TE with thicker shafts, turned "the right way" for RWD application. A 41LE is a 41TE with a longitudinal engine but still FWD. I find it amusing, therefore, when folks say in general terms that the, "41TE is horrible but the 46RE is a totally different unit..." Not really-- they share similar designs, though I'll quite agree that the in general the heavier-duty units seem to hold up better (excluding the early-2000's woes with the Rams.... that was a mess... but fixed after a couple of years if I understand it right).

I do wonder how much of the 41TE problems are from heat in minivan applications. Mine saw 220F yesterday in low ambient temps during some mountain driving. 180F is attainable year round on this trans (permanent gauge installed).

I have a 03 dodge ram and the transmatic went so I change it for a used 545rfe from a dodge ram 2005tehuelches problema is Thatcher This New used trans the problema is Thatcher the car connector is black and the New trans connector is White gimes me po750 code. what can I do?

Wow, the translator is a little off, but I think I get the gist...

Are you sure that the connectors and pins are the same? Was there any assurance the the newer transmission was supposed to work in your truck when you bought it? Lastly, are you sure that the code isn't a legitimate, real problem?

I have the 545RFE in my Dodge.

Knock on wood, it has always been fine.

The only problem I have ever experienced is the failure of the solenoid pack.

Some transmissions use external sensors that are simple to change, chrysler (or at that time period Mercedes) put the pack inside the pan, constantly bathed in tranny fluid.

So to change it, had to drop the pan. Drain, unbolt 10k little bolts, undo, replace, refill...you get the idea.

Besides the $500 fix it has been just fine.

Originally Posted By: jk_636

The only problem I have ever experienced is the failure of the solenoid pack.

That's going to come about in an RFE transmission eventally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back