1963 World Book Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received a 1963 World Book "Yearbook."

Under "Automotive" is a short article titled: "The New, Carefree Auto Age."

According to the article:

"The new cars of today are built to last longer with less frequent attention than ever before. They are guaranteed against manufacturing defects for periods ranging from 24 months to five years. Before the fall of 1960, the maximum warranty was only 90 days.

"The average car is driven 120,000 miles or more and kept in operation 11 years before being junked.

"Oil changes have been reduced from once every 1,000 miles to every 4,000 miles or more. Ford recommended 6,000 miles between changes for it's 1963 models. Improved engine design eliminating areas of extremely high temperatures that tended to dilute the lubricants made the less frequent changes possible, the auto makers said. Oil companies however, remained reluctant to accept the less frequent changes. The American Petroleum Institute still recommended replacing oil at least every 60 days in summer and 30 days in winter.

"Anti-freeze protection for two years is provided by American Motors and Ford. Each installs radiator coolant at the factory. Such products found little demand in the replacement market however, and were withdraw after two seasons."

(The World Book Yearbook, 1963, Field Enterprises Educational Corporation, Chicago Illinois, page 202).

The 6,000 mile OCI for 1963 blows me away! That's pretty good for that time period. That makes the 10,000 mile OCI for our Fusion seem more reasonable.

Last edited:
In the 1970s they recommended 6-7.5K oil changes with new filter every other change,and Chrysler's Torquflite had no recommended filter/fluid change (unless severe service).

Interesting find! Whenever I run across old owners manuals, the first place I look is at the maintenance schedule and then the oil recommendations. The '50s and '60s were an era when oils took a big jump in quality. I wonder if oil quality improved to match the horsepower race or vice versa?

I recall a popular mechanics ad from the 1930s for prestone ethylene glycol antifreeze. They went on and on with bullet points about how it was better than glycerine, alcohol, molasses, etc. D'ya think?

The marketing materials for my dad's 1980 fairmont compared it to a 1970 falcon/fairlane? and prattled on about the less frequent oil changes and tuneups. Unleaded gas and HEI ignition to the rescue!

In 50 years they'll look back to 2013 and marvel at how quaint some of our articles and marketing materials were.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I recall a popular mechanics ad from the 1930s for prestone ethylene glycol antifreeze. They went on and on with bullet points about how it was better than glycerine, alcohol, molasses, etc. D'ya think?

Rolls Merlins back in the day ran IIRC 90% glycerine. would have been 100% bar it was too viscous when cold

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
In 50 years they'll look back to 2013 and marvel at how quaint some of our articles and marketing materials were.

ron-burgundy-dodge-durango.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back