'13 F150 3.5 EB FF 5w-30, oil 4827, engine 4827

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost factory fill Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-30, oil miles 4827, engine miles 4827

Code:

OIL FF5w30

MILES IN USE 4827

MILES 4827

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/09/13

ALUMINUM 21

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 35

COPPER 180

LEAD 4

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 73

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 57

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 14

BORON 61

SILICON 104

SODIUM 10

CALCIUM 2118

MAGNESIUM 9

PHOSPHORUS 778

ZINC 804

BARIUM 1

INSOLUBLES 0.3%

WATER 0.0%

FUEL TR

FLASHPOINT ºF 365

SUS VIS 210ºF 51

cSt @ 212ºF 7.57

uoa110913.jpg

Evaluating PP 5w-30 on current fill. Will evaluate again at 6k miles or 20% remaining on OLI.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Very good fuel numbers for this engine.

Early miles are always a bit scary but those numbers will trend downwards fast...

Fuel is easily higher than what they say. I would guesstimate about 2.5%.
More importantly, the TBN is seemingly okay, but a TAN as well would be more helpful.
Much too early to tell much else.

Last edited:
Interested to see the follow up UOA with PP. I assume you are going with 5-30?

Edit: Sorry, missed the 5-30 in your statement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Fuel is easily higher than what they say. I would guesstimate about 2.5%.

This implies Blackstone would knowingly misrepresent the percentage of fuel in the sample, no? What would substantiate Blackstone doing such, history of such?

The fuel dilution of the 3.5 ecoboosts appears to have gone away with the most recent cars.

I think it interesting that Blackstone says that 5w-20 is put into the EB so often by mistake that that accounts for the viscosity numbers. All the more reason to have a firm talk with the guy at the dealer when you drop it by for its oil change.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
joemac are you participating in the UOA study in any way?

Yes, I already contacted dnewton3 some months back informing him of my willingness to participate.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I think it interesting that Blackstone says that 5w-20 is put into the EB so often by mistake that that accounts for the viscosity numbers.

Some are of the impression that Motorcraft oils test on the nominal low side comparatively. I have nothing that scientifically substantiates this. My assumption is Blackstone states the viscosity appears 5w-20 because that's what the oil tests closes too, whatever that nominal value is for 5w-20 compared to 5w-30.

Quote:
All the more reason to have a firm talk with the guy at the dealer when you drop it by for its oil change.

That guy that changes the oil is me. I'll have a talk with him however to confirm he's putting 5w-30 in it.
wink.gif
If at all possible I'm the only one that puts wrenches on it. Slightly OCD.

Quote:
Evaluating PP 5w-30 on current fill. Will evaluate again at 6k miles or 20% remaining on OLI.

You dumped the factory fill of MC at 4827 miles. And, you state that at 6k miles, which is 1200 miles more you're only going to have 20% oil life remaining? Something not adding up here!

Did you not reset the OLM when you changed the oil? I go 5k miles on my truck and still have over 50% remaining on the OLM and that's with no make-up oil!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Very good fuel numbers for this engine.

Early miles are always a bit scary but those numbers will trend downwards fast...

Uh, no. You can ignore the fuel % number on a blackstone report. Look at the viscosity and flash point. This oil has SEVERE fuel dilution issues.

Needs a few more long high RPM (4,000+ RPMS 20+ minutes) to keep the oil in better condition.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Needs a few more long high RPM (4,000+ RPMS 20+ minutes) to keep the oil in better condition.

Where are you driving 4,000+ rpms for 20+ minutes w/o breaking the law or possibly damaging an automatic transmission using a low gear? It certainly can't be done where I live. Any documentation that this process is a fix for DI issues?

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:

You dumped the factory fill of MC at 4827 miles. And, you state that at 6k miles, which is 1200 miles more you're only going to have 20% oil life remaining? Something not adding up here!

Did you not reset the OLM when you changed the oil? I go 5k miles on my truck and still have over 50% remaining on the OLM and that's with no make-up oil!

The relationship is not always linear as it depends on use, miles, and time. I have 1600mi on this OCI and I'm at 70% left.

In Texas, the OLM usually pegs out at max miles if the truck is driven daily. The time related % ticks are often slightly offset by longer driving sessions. Now that I live in Houston, the OLM will tick down 1% per 100 miles when consistently driven.

My oil changes so far were
4/20/13, 81%, 1920.1 miles (PYB)
12/29/13, 20%, 9948.3 (PU)

I know that I will disappoint the study by using PU, but it was on closeout and bought the week before we came up with the study idea. My other car can't use it.

If people care about the IOLM and would like some data, I did some basic tracking before I found it to be pretty straight forward in DFW and Houston environs.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Where are you driving 4,000+ rpms for 20+ minutes w/o breaking the law or possibly damaging an automatic transmission using a low gear? It certainly can't be done where I live. Any documentation that this process is a fix for DI issues?

Really? Where is a gear implied anywhere. Do it in first at 30mph if you want. Just keep the RPMs up. It is very simple.

I think this UOA shows the potential benefits of dumping factory fill oil early. If I owned a new vehicle with a DI engine, it would be 2-3000 miles, and I would be dumping it and starting up a series of UOA's to see what a safe OCI would be.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:

Reading way to much into this.

Will evaluate after I have 6k miles on the current oil or 20% oil life remaining. Evaluate being if 20% oil life remaining on the OLM is close to the 6k miles that Blackstone recommended for the next oil change interval, I'll stick with changing at 20% oil life left and supply results to the study. If it's looks like it will be well past 6k miles, like 9k miles on the oil before I reach 20% oil life remaining, I'll likely change the oil just to be safe and forgo the study for this round until I have a better baseline.

I reset the OLM when I changed it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Really? Where is a gear implied anywhere. Do it in first at 30mph if you want. Just keep the RPMs up. It is very simple.

Sounds like a great way to ruin a transmission to me. You initially said run 4,000+ rpms for 20 minutes. Ok so 4+K rpms in first gear for 20 minutes. That should get the ATF nice and hot, hotter than it should be, which is not good, not to mention any other damage that could occur. A stick maybe, an AT, no thanks. Besides where's the proof that it will help with DI issues.

Sorry I think you'll do more harm than good, especially if this is a procedure that has to be repeated from time to time as part of some kind of maintenance procedure.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
In Texas, the OLM usually pegs out at max miles if the truck is driven daily. The time related % ticks are often slightly offset by longer driving sessions. Now that I live in Houston, the OLM will tick down 1% per 100 miles when consistently driven.

My oil changes so far were
4/20/13, 81%, 1920.1 miles (PYB)
12/29/13, 20%, 9948.3 (PU)

I know that I will disappoint the study by using PU, but it was on closeout and bought the week before we came up with the study idea. My other car can't use it.

If people care about the IOLM and would like some data, I did some basic tracking before I found it to be pretty straight forward in DFW and Houston environs.

Did you UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back