Fram XG Extended Guard VS Purolator PureOne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas ..

Which one do you recommend for a high performance car ?!

Both have a good construction built and good filteration effeicency , so i am only concerned about the oil flow itself, don't wanna end up with an oil pressure drop or oil starvation or something ..

I'm kinda leaning to Fram XG but i heard it's a lil restrictive with it's small oil inlet holes , so .. Anyone had issues with oil pressu drop or somethin with Fram Extended guard ?

Engine: Stroked high compression VQ engine .
Filter: is in a big diameter ( PL10193 for pureone and XG3950 for Fram ), thought i share this to help on your answer.
Oil i'm using: Castrol Magnatic 10w40 .

Thank you in advance ..

You will not notice any "restriction" or PSI problems with the better filtration from the Fram XG or Fram Ultra, just psi being high from a 10w40 in the winter... I would sooner recommend the Ultra for better filtration and construction and a lighter oil.

The motto most members follow is as thin as possible, as thick as necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Dead_Zone

In terms of construction the Purolator Synthetic is closer to the XG than the PureOne.

The Bosch DistancePlus is the same filter as the Purolator Synthetic.

Thank you guys..

I'm a lil confused here, is Fram XG ( x2 ) and Fram Ultra are the same thing ?!
Ok .. Fram extended guard XG,X2, Ultra .. Are these the same filter ?!!
Because as far as i know Fram has three types of oil filters:
Extra Guard
Taugh Guard
Extended Gaurd ( XG ) or X2 .. Ultra ? Are these all the same or what ?!!!!
If yes, then why does the X2 Can look different than the Ultra's can ?!!!!

Actually they have a total of 4 passanger car filters available. Ultra, Tough Guard, High Mileage, and Extra guard.

The Ultra used to be called the Xtended Guard, so the XG is the Ultra.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2555004

The Orange Can is the "extra guard" and is the economy filter.

The Tough guard is the silver can and has synthetic blend media with a higher quality silicone anti drain back valve.

The XG or Ultra is the top of the line full synthetic wire backed media.

They also have the High Mileage filter which is the orange can filter basically with a additive built into it that releases over a few thousand miles.

Fram X2 is not currently in production.

All of this info is right on the website.

http://www.fram.com/

If your looking for a recommendation, the Tough Guards are excellent filter and the Ultras are top of the line. I would stay away from the orange can filters unless you weren't able to find a better filter available. They work okay, but tend to have less media and lower efficiency than most filters, plus they only have nitrile rubber anti drain back valves which harden easily.

^ all these filters are not available where i live , so i'm gonna order them online anyways,

As for the Fram Ultra XG, i can't find a parallel filter to it .. I'm currently using a Fram Ph3950 , so what's the part number for Ultra ?!! There is XG3950 but it's an X2 version only !!!!

Ok .. Why not anybody recommend me the Pureone ?! They're just as good as Fram XG's , if not better !

^ all these filters are not available where i live , so i'm gonna order them online anyways,

So, Location "ME" is not the US State Maine? ME is the NATO country code for Montenegro as well?

For the US the XG is now the Ultra, the part numbers remain XG so in the US an XG3950 would be the Ultra.

Without getting too far in the weeds with a FRAM vs Purolator thing the Synthetic is the most comparable to the Ultra.

Also, I don't think the Bosch D+ and Purolator Synthetic are exactly the same, as someone else stated earlier in the thread.

Hi fellas ..

Both have a good construction built and good filteration effeicency , so i am only concerned about the oil flow itself, don't wanna end up with an oil pressure drop or oil starvation or something ..

I'm kinda leaning to Fram XG but i heard it's a lil restrictive with it's small oil inlet holes , so .. Anyone had issues with oil pressu drop or somethin with Fram Extended guard ?

Filter: is in a big diameter ( PL10193 for pureone and XG3950 for Fram ), thought i share this to help on your answer.

Thank you in advance ..

Given your needs, I'd look at Purolator Synthetic, Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, K&N, Amsoil EAO (in no particular order). Of those, RP and EAO probably have the thickest baseplate and shell. The Ultra (still has "XG" part numbers as others have noted) is the biggest bang for the buck, but I don't like the non-metallic bypass valve as much as a metal disk pop valve (in the dome-end applications on the other brands) or a base-end bypass valve.

Why not P1? Because its built more for superb small-particle filtration, and recommended for "standard" oil-change intervals, not extended intervals. Both of those design targets are (somewhat) contrary to high volume flow/low restriction. Frankly, it WOULD probably work just fine in your application, but since you provided the details, folks followed through and used that info in their recommendation.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

The Bosch DistancePlus is similar to the Purolator Synthetic, but they are not the same filter.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

So, Location "ME" is not the US State Maine? ME is the NATO country code for Montenegro as well?

For the US the XG is now the Ultra, the part numbers remain XG so in the US an XG3950 would be the Ultra.

Without getting too far in the weeds with a FRAM vs Purolator thing the Synthetic is the most comparable to the Ultra.

Also, I don't think the Bosch D+ and Purolator Synthetic are exactly the same, as someone else stated earlier in the thread.

M.E = Middle East
smile.gif

Actually if you look into XG3950 you'll find out that it's X2 ..
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/frm-xg3950_w_ml.jpg

Actually if you look into XG3950 you'll find out that it's X2 ..
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/frm-xg3950_w_ml.jpg

That is interesting, My initial thought is that it is an old picture but if that is the case it is repeated several places including amazon...

It looks like in this case XG3950a may be the Ultra...

Might get ahold of Jay here who works at Fram for clarification on this particular application.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Hi fellas ..

Thank you in advance ..

Given your needs, I'd look at Purolator Synthetic, Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, K&N, Amsoil EAO (in no particular order). Of those, RP and EAO probably have the thickest baseplate and shell. The Ultra (still has "XG" part numbers as others have noted) is the biggest bang for the buck, but I don't like the non-metallic bypass valve as much as a metal disk pop valve (in the dome-end applications on the other brands) or a base-end bypass valve.

Why not P1? Because its built more for superb small-particle filtration, and recommended for "standard" oil-change intervals, not extended intervals. Both of those design targets are (somewhat) contrary to high volume flow/low restriction. Frankly, it WOULD probably work just fine in your application, but since you provided the details, folks followed through and used that info in their recommendation.
smile.gif

Problem is there is no Purolator synthetic that meets the diameter i'm looking for .. No parallel to PureOne PL10193 or Classic L10193.

Ok if the issue with the interval then it's not problem with me as i do it every 5k anyways, even with extended interval Oil Or filters , besides the PureOne i'm debating with is already a big n fat filter so i don't think the flow would be an issue here, plz correct me if i'm wrong .

OK .. Good news, i've just collected my filters that i ordered two weeks ago, Wix 51381 and PureOne PL10193 .. Two filters between my hands , which one to use ?!!
smile.gif
i really like the PureOne .. What do u think ?!

Here are the filters that FRAM offers ... at least in the USA.
www.fram.com

Here is the flow vs delta-p test data for a PureOne used on a Corvette Z06. Notice it will flow LOTS of oil with a small pressure drop.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Motorking here on the board works for FRAM, and he showed that the Fram Ultra flows just a little better yet than the PureOne (ie, slightly less delta-p at those flow rates), because the Ultra is full synthetic media.

IMO, using either one will not cause any flow issues. Besides, engines use a positive displacement oil pump and most filters out there will flow way more volume with not much pressure drop on any vehicle that they are used on.

What kind of vehicle is this filter for? If it some crazy modified engine with some insane high volume oil pump then you might have to go with a racing filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Here are the filters that FRAM offers ... at least in the USA.
www.fram.com

Here is the flow vs delta-p test data for a PureOne used on a Corvette Z06. Notice it will flow LOTS of oil with a small pressure drop.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Motorking here on the board works for FRAM, and he showed that the Fram Ultra flows just a little better yet than the PureOne (ie, slightly less delta-p at those flow rates), because the Ultra is full synthetic media.

IMO, using either one will not cause any flow issues. Besides, engines use a positive displacement oil pump and most filters out there will flow way more volume with not much pressure drop on any vehicle that they are used on.

What kind of vehicle is this filter for? If it some crazy modified engine with some insane high volume oil pump then you might have to go with a racing filter.

Thanks buddy for the great answer ..
Thanks goes to everyone passed here too .. I went thro all the answers, sorry for not replaying to everyone's tho.

Answering your question , this is a nissan modified VQ35HR engine ( 4.1 full stroked engine ) running with an oil cooler.
Ok So mmm it looks like PureOne is just a great option after all and so is the Fram Ultra ( tho there is no ultra 3950 but an old X2 ) ...

Ok .. Before i settle with Pure1, what do you think of Wix's ?! Yes it's a great oil filter by itself but wud you recommend it for my engine too ?! P1 vs Wix .. Which one wud you use if you were in my shoes ?!

Answering your question , this is a nissan modified VQ35HR engine ( 4.1 full stroked engine ) running with an oil cooler.
Ok So mmm it looks like PureOne is just a great option after all and so is the Fram Ultra ( tho there is no ultra 3950 but an old X2 ) ...

I've got a 2004 Altima VQ35DE V6, and run the Ultra XG7317, which is the longer version of the specified XG6607.

The XG7317 might also work on your engine if you have the space for it. Checkout the specs and see what you think.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=XG7317

In terms of construction the Purolator Synthetic is closer to the XG than the PureOne.

Actually the Bosch Long Life is the most comparable to the Purolator Synthetic, the P1 is most like the Bosch Premium, not sure what I would compare the Bosch D+ to (maybe a P1 with thicker can?). The Fram XG part numbers can be EITHER an Xtended Guard or Ultra, depending on how old the stock is-Fram did NOT change part #s when the Ultra rolled out. The original Extended Guard was only rated for 7K, then the "X"tended Guard was raised to 10K, then 12K, and finally the Ultra with 15K.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I've got a 2004 Altima VQ35DE V6, and run the Ultra XG7317, which is the longer version of the specified XG6607.

The XG7317 might also work on your engine if you have the space for it. Checkout the specs and see what you think.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=XG7317

Both won't work buddy .. I'm running an oil cooler that uses a huge sandwich adapter , so a huge filter accordingly .. Factory diameter oil filter doesn't work any more, it's just way way small for the mounting adapter so it leakes right there the moment you start the engine lol ..

Anyways thax buddy .. I really appreciate your help .
Cheers .

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Actually the Bosch Long Life is the most comparable to the Purolator Synthetic, the P1 is most like the Bosch Premium, not sure what I would compare the Bosch D+ to (maybe a P1 with thicker can?). The Fram XG part numbers can be EITHER an Xtended Guard or Ultra, depending on how old the stock is-Fram did NOT change part #s when the Ultra rolled out. The original Extended Guard was only rated for 7K, then the "X"tended Guard was raised to 10K, then 12K, and finally the Ultra with 15K.

Now that makes sense , thank you sir
smile.gif

This is really an active forum , i like active forums lol.
Thanks everyone ..

If anyone wanna add something plz be my guest and chime in, thank you
smile.gif

Wow
frown.gif
... I did some researchs on Pureones and found some cut opens out there with disappointing results , they're -somehow- like classics, tend to have some torn media , pleats do come or start to come off right on the end caps .. [censored]
Not sure if i wanna use these anymore !

Ok guys .. I need ur help on Fram TG , there is one for me, TG3950.
What do u think of it ?! Wud u recommend it for my application ?!

Yes Fram Ultra is better with it's metal end caps , but they don't make one at a parallel to 3950.

So .. The Tough Guard .. With it's synthetic blend media, silicone ADBV .. etc.
Wud u recommend it for my application ?! What is your experience on these , is it reliable n strong enough ? Howz the oil flow ? ..

Sorry guys , just lil last help and wud appreciate it a lot ..
Thanks a lot ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back