Mahle vs Mann air filters for '99 Boxster??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which will last the longest of these two for my brother's misused/abused/ill-maintained 1999 Boxster?

Once I install it for him, and clean the MAF sensor, it probably will not be touched again for at least 75K miles (IF it lasts that long, as he's too busy handing all his coin to Tony Soprano and Donny Trump and co. down in AC and Philly area gaming establishments to care about his car.
frown.gif
).

Thanks in advance.

Both are huge OEM suppliers in Europe and they're probably equivalent.

Mann is owned by Purolator, for what it's worth.

Seems like it doesn't really matter...and I'd bet its a toss up anyway as its failure seems like it would be related more to vehicle use and overall vehicle neglect than brand. Individual build quality would probably be more important.

You can't go wrong with either. Both are interchangeably used as OEM depending upon who is giving the better deal at the time.

I would not think there is much difference...although I do like Mahle filters better.

About a year ago I got a Mahle filter for my Audi that did not feel right...it was slightly lighter..and said made in China on the can.

I sent an email to Mahle USA and asked them if the filter was genuine. They asked me to send it to them for inspection.

In the email exchange..they asked me what car(s) I used Mahle filters on..I told them I had a Porsche 911, VW Vanagon and an Audi Cabriolet.

About a week later I got a big box from Mahle..with complete filter kits, fuel, oil and air for all my cars. They sent me four extra Audi oil filters too.

They also said the China filter was genuine..made for the Asian market. Somehow got in the north American supply chain.

So I like Mahle filters better than Mann....their customer service was super. Never any real issues with a Mahle filter.

As stated above, they're both OEM to VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and plenty other European manufacturers.

Personally I prefer Mahle, they're marginally cheaper and marginally more easily available here, plus they come in a prettier box.

Hengst and Knecht are two other OEM names interchangeable with the above.

Thanks all!
thumbsup2.gif

From the pics I've seen, the Mahles have an extra layer of foam over the cellulose composite pleats as well, so it seems they would also have a little better filtration??

I think so, too.

So long as you get one of the names mentioned, ie. Mahle, Mann, Hengst, or Knecht you'll be golden. Get whichever is cheapest and sleep well at night
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back