Michelin Primacy MXV4 - OEM on Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2014 Corolla (Needed to - my older 2008 one got totaled. Mine came with Michelin Primacy MXV4 205/55R16 89H tires which actually appear to be nicer tires than most OEM tires. Treadwear 620 A A and supposedly a 60K tire. Looking at the Michelin and on Tire Rack I do see that the 89H tire has 9.5/32's tread depth compared to the 91H version which has 11/32's but is also rated 620 A A and 60k. Evidently the 89H tires are a (cheaper?) version developed for OEM use? I hope they are as good as the regular Primacy MXV4 line which gets high marks. appears identical except for the tread depth - Made in Canada.

Ride and handling is good - even in the snow and Ice we're experiencing.

From what I can gather there are three OEM tires that may be on the the 2014 Corollas a Goodyear Eagle RS-A 89H rated at 260 A A, a Continental ContiPro Contact 89H rated at 500 A A or the Michelins. Most of the LE's had Continentals but the LE plus with alloy wheels had Michelins on most. I knoe the Contentals are well liked but I think the Michelins may be better tire of the three.

Last edited:
Nice tire to be fit with that car.

While not in econobox fashion, alloys are a good idea with that car, as the oe hubcaps are so darned ugly.

Keep records of the rotations every 5-7500 miles. Our Honda came with Primacy MXV4's as well. Great tire, but I do not expect them to go the full 60k. I'm going to keep records and see if Michelin will prorate a new set when the time comes.

I replaced the OE Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S on my Accord with Primaxy MXV4's. These are for spring/summer/fall driving only for me. While I only put about 3-4k on them this year, they rode super nice, quiet, good traction in the wet. Also, they did great when I towed the trailer to Lake Placid. They're a good tire.

We (wife and I) thought the MXV4's had less snow traction than the Energies we had prior. IMO the MXV's also have worn faster--but it turns out our Camry specs a higher speed rating than what the dealer put on. Considering that the set was free (part of the deal buying new--dealer does the first of replacement tires for free) I'm considering it a datapoint flier, since everyone else really loves the MXV4. I suspect I will try something else though when these MXV4's are done (I'll be lucky to get 40k out of the set).

The dealer wanted the car every 5k for their free service, and I plan on just rotating every 5k (works well with a 10k OCI). Seems like a nice round number.

I recall having the Conti ContactPro's on the Jetta, and most reviews said they wore fast. Never tried them in the snow, but I found they wore fast too--but at the time they were decently priced so I didn't care. 40kmiles would put them at the wear bars, but I was able to replace for less than $400 a set at least a couple of times, so I never complained (much).

Originally Posted By: sceva
Looking at the Michelin and on Tire Rack I do see that the 89H tire has 9.5/32's tread depth compared to the 91H version which has 11/32's but is also rated 620 A A and 60k.

It's like I can hear the meeting between Toyota's development engineers in which they discuss how they generally like the characteristics of the MXV4, except that they'd like to do something to improve the shortcomings arising from excessive tread squirm. Somebody has the brilliant idea to spec the OE tire with shallower tread, and voila - thanks to the purchasing clout that comes with Corolla production volumes, they get Michelin to agree to produce a tire that suits what Toyota wants.

The shorter tread depth on the OE versions reduces weight, which is a factor in rolling resistance and fuel economy (less rotating mass). The tire that starts with 9.5/32" of tread instead of 11/32" of tread like the others weighs in at 20 pounds, compared with 23 pounds that the ones with thicker tread weigh.

To the point above ^^, car manufacturers specify the compounds, tread depth, tread design of OE tires. They may say Michelin on them, but they are not the exact tires that you're getting if you go to the Michelin store and purchase a replacement set.

The manufacturer needs to meet a budget, so they specify what's cheaper, while still maintaining a "name brand" on the sidewall.

Unfortunately, this means that the OE MXV4 (which is an older model, IIRC) may not perform as well as a "real" MXV4..

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The shorter tread depth on the OE versions reduces weight, which is a factor in rolling resistance and fuel economy (less rotating mass). The tire that starts with 9.5/32" of tread instead of 11/32" of tread like the others weighs in at 20 pounds, compared with 23 pounds that the ones with thicker tread weigh.

All else being equal, I'd agree that shaving 3/64" of tread off of a tire would save a pound or two. Looking at the specs for the tires in question, though, all else is not equal. The tires are listed as having the same diameter, while the Toyota OE tire is actually rated one rev per mile lower than the aftermarket, Euro-metric model, thus indicating a (very) slightly higher effective rolling radius.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418

All else being equal, I'd agree that shaving 3/64" of tread off of a tire would save a pound or two. Looking at the specs for the tires in question, though, all else is not equal. The tires are listed as having the same diameter, while the Toyota OE tire is actually rated one rev per mile lower than the aftermarket, Euro-metric model, thus indicating a (very) slightly higher effective rolling radius.

I saw that on Tire Rack; same dia (24.9), 1 RPM less (836 vs 837), and two pounds less (20 vs 23).

On Michelin's site it shows she same diameter (24.9), the same Rev per mile (836)and 1.3 pounds difference (20.7 vs 22 pounds)

Wonder which is the closest in their data.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Asked Michelin about the tread depth and expected wear - they said;

Even though your OE tires came with a lower load rating (89 vs 91) and less tread depth, the mileage warranty is still 60,000.

The tire is engineered to provide a national average of 60,000 miles regardless of the starting tread depth.

You should also get the same traction braking and winter traction as the other sizes in this line. Keep in mind that this is not a dedicated winter tire. With the extreme cold temperatures we are currently experiencing, a winter tire will provide you with the best traction.

When it is time to replace the tires, you can certainly choose to go back with the OE Toyota tire or you could move into the higher load rating of 91H in the same tread design.

Sincerely,

Millie
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

I used to answer questions for a major tire manufacturer. So allow me to translate:

.....Even though your OE tires came with a lower load rating (89 vs 91) and less tread depth, the mileage warranty is still 60,000.......

The difference in load rating is an artifact of the tire standardization system, and not in the way the tire is designed, constructed, or manufactured. Besides, treadwear warranties are legal documents and we have to say that or be in violation of the law.

.....The tire is engineered to provide a national average of 60,000 miles regardless of the starting tread depth........

We are telling you this to convince you not to ask any more questions - not because it is true or anything. Besides, you are not going to be able to figure out what the national average is, so we can say this without fear of contradiction. The fact the we also don't know what the national wear average is even with all our resources makes this a moot point.

.....You should also get the same traction braking and winter traction as the other sizes in this line. Keep in mind that this is not a dedicated winter tire. With the extreme cold temperatures we are currently experiencing, a winter tire will provide you with the best traction.....

We know that the average guy is never going to tell the difference in traction levels between tires, so 99.99% of the time we can tell you there is no difference and be sure you won't be able to tell. Besides, you aren't going to buy any of those other tires, so you'll never know if we are exaggerating or not.

.....When it is time to replace the tires, you can certainly choose to go back with the OE Toyota tire or you could move into the higher load rating of 91H in the same tread design.....

Just be sure to buy M!!

.....Sincerely,

Millie
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

I have a certificate and everything!

either way - These tires seem to be a better than OEM Tires that I have got with new cars in the past. ( Goodyear Integrity's, Firestone FR680 (I think)). When it comes time to replace them I will research it again and make my choice accordingly.

"OEM" Camry tires I've seen were Sumic GT65A and Doral SDL65A, and I thought they were just fine...though not great in rain/slicked roads, they were smooth and quiet...

I just replaced them with Hankook Ventus V4 (on oversized wheels, 17"ers replacing 15s), and these are GREAT in rain and on slick surfaces..though their grip results in a bit of roadway noise.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
"OEM" Camry tires I've seen were Sumic GT65A and Doral SDL65A...

Those were not "OEM", as in Original Equipment Manufacturer. They are probably available in the right size for a 2005 Camry, but Camrys didn't come with Sumics or Dorals from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
"OEM" Camry tires I've seen were Sumic GT65A and Doral SDL65A...

Those were not "OEM", as in Original Equipment Manufacturer. They are probably available in the right size for a 2005 Camry, but Camrys didn't come with Sumics or Dorals from the factory.

Well, those were Dorals I saw on late model Camrys here in Florida...so perhaps they were installed by the dealers...as were the Sumics on my Camry...

Well, those were Dorals I saw on late model Camrys here in Florida...so perhaps they were installed by the dealers...as were the Sumics on my Camry...

Yes, if the car was being sold as 'new' with these tires, then they would have been swapped by the dealer when doing a wheel upgrade or swap for a different vehicle. The Toyota factory does not install Dorals or Sumics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back