General AltiMAX RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Sooner or later you'll own Generals.

And if your luck is like mine, every [censored] set of Generals you buy will make you wish you spent the same money on a decent set of mismatched used random Chinese brand tires with holes in them instead.

Give me one of the Kenya Kinetica, two Spartan Dark Whores, and one Maybe-Mile in a completely different size, thanks.

Last edited:
Good to know that the RT43 is a good all season tire.
They are pretty inexpensive so they represent a useful alternative to other more costly brands.
Sorry that Subaru put such unsuitable tires on a car intended as a bad weather daily driver.
The OEM Geolanders on our '09 Forester were very good in the snow.
They were, of course, a different model of Geolander.

My ex needed new winter tires for her car. She now has Altimax Arctics on the rear and RT43s on the front. We just had our first real snow of the season a few days ago, so I haven't yet heard how well they are performing. I be seeing her on Tuesday and give a report.

Update on cold weather performance.....

The General AltiMAX RT43 handles cold weather flat spotting better than the Yoko's did. The Geolanders felt as if they were out of round in cold weather until they warmed up. The General AltiMAX RT43's do not feel out of round when they are cold like the Yoko's did. They feel as if they should, they are not as effected by the cold in this aspect. It is NEGATIVE 5 degrees F here today.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Nice to see that there are options other than just going the Michelin route!

After this Winter I don't think I plan on going anywhere near LRR tires either.

Freak early or late snowfall requires a sound A/S tire, forget about fuel economy in Montreal with our roads and poor weather.

Giving up traction to a likely freak snowfall is not a good way to go.

Last Winter we had a late snowfall, and I was outside with the flakes falling with a jack putting my Winter tires back on after recently taking them off.

I tried to tough it out but with a half inch of snow on the ground my OEM Dunlop A/S tires struggled to go up a small hill into our parking lot, almost didn't make it up.

Heard people love the Altimax Arctics as well, maybe I'll try them out after my IG-20s wear out instead of getting Blizzaks.

I hear you there. I'm in a rush to put the snows on around Thanksgiving (or whenever the first storm is predicted) and then reluctant to take off until sometime in April (last time I slid off the road was a freak April storm that dumped 6" of slush). That's a long time to run snows, especially when most of the time it's bare pavement. This is the first winter in a long time I've tried running A/S, and while it's no picnic I haven't died yet--just adjusted my driving, and it's been kinda bad lately.

I might give thought next time to "aggressive" A/S or at least try to get anything with decent winter ratings, and cheapo winters for say just the three worst months.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

And if your luck is like mine, every [censored] set of Generals you buy will make you wish you spent the same money on a decent set of mismatched used random Chinese brand tires with holes in them instead.

Give me one of the Kenya Kinetica, two Spartan Dark Whores, and one Maybe-Mile in a completely different size, thanks.

Just curious, what was your last set of General tires?

I put Altimax RT 43s on the RAV4 back in November. They replaced Nokian WR G2 SUVs, and they're head and shoulders above the Nokians in dry and wet pavement performance. They may not be quite as good in snow, but they still do an adequate job (especially when you consider that I've gotten over two feet of snow at my house in the last week and a half).

So, yeah. I'm a fan of the RT 43.

Yeah, good test review. I gotta say, I am loving these tires! They have been a great tire all around so far. Much better than any other tire I have purchased. I have had Yokohama, Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Primacy MXV4.

I have the previous generation General Altimax RT on my Mazda. I haven't had any trouble with them to speak of and they are better in the snow than I expected given the reviews I read about them. To me they are a quality "budget" Continental tire just like Kelly tires from Goodyear.

I personally like the aggressive tread patterns the General tires have and the new RT43 seems to follow suit.

For what it's worth I did not notice any MPG drop between these Generals and the LRR Michelin "Energy" tires I had on prior.

After a couple of weeks of driving on the General AltiMAX RT43 I am still impressed. They ride very comfortably in all conditions so far. Just haven't driven them in warm weather yet. We have had clear dry weather in the 50's though and they were great in normal dry conditions. We have had hard rain and they resist hydroplaning without any noticeable traction loss. They are nice and quiet, responsive and comfortable. So far, ice, deep snow, wet snow, rain, and dry have all been very easy to manage with these tires.

I am a Michelin to General Tire convert! I would highly recommend these General AltiMAX RT43 tires! I don't recommend very many products either.

I have the 225/60/17 H rated General AltiMAX RT43. I know that the T rated tires have a cap ply as well. That is very important in a T rated tire IMHO. The difference between the H and T is the sidewall strength. The H rated has a stronger sidewall, so, I would imagine the T rated is a little more comfortable and a little less responsive. The H rated is comfortable and responsive though for me. Much more comfortable over rough roads than the Yoko's I had. Since I live in Ohio, rough roads are a part of life, I have to have a comfortable tire to manage these horrible roads we have.

I need to buy tires for the Focus soon. I was looking at these. I'm stuck between

AltiMax RT43, CS4 and Kumho KH20.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

Those names are awesome!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I need to buy tires for the Focus soon. I was looking at these. I'm stuck between

AltiMax RT43, CS4 and Kumho KH20.

I really like the General AltiMAX RT43. I have heard really good things about the Cooper CS4 from others. I would stay away from Kumho IMHO.

Apparently the snow that fell in southeast Michigan this morning is of the type for which the RT 43 is ideally suited. People were sliding all over the place, unable to make it up 5% grades, and generally suffering through our latest snow event. Not me... I barely noticed a loss of traction, and never felt like the snow was pulling me off course.

My admiration for the RT 43 continues to grow.

Miller88. I'm familiar w/the Cooper CS4's T-rated tires. Very good winter traction, which it seems the RT 43 has as well. CS4's ride alittle stiff on the 05' Focus. I'm assuming it has something to do w/the 2 sidewall plies. If I had to do it over again, I probably would not pick this T-rated tire for the Focus. If weather wasn't so much of a concern, the Kumho KH-20's are a very good tire. Ride smooth/handle well and seem to have very little rolling resistance. When I had my 10' Focus, I put on Bridgestone RE-960's. Oh my what a great tire. Completely transformed the car. Probably not your best choice if you're planning on running them year-round in NY.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Apparently the snow that fell in southeast Michigan this morning is of the type for which the RT 43 is ideally suited. People were sliding all over the place, unable to make it up 5% grades, and generally suffering through our latest snow event. Not me... I barely noticed a loss of traction, and never felt like the snow was pulling me off course.

We got the same snow here today. Amazing tires in the snow. I just talked a friend into getting them installed. He loves them too. What a great tire the AltiMAX RT43 is!

Now that is good to know....

I have driven in all kinds of snow now. Considering the weather we have been getting, these tires are getting a workout in winter weather as of late. I have not had an all season tire ever that has been this good in the snow. All kinds, fresh, slush, ice.....I feel as if I have snow tires. I have to tell myself to not get too confident with them, but, they feel very confident in this weather.

My admiration for the AltiMAX RT43 also continues to grow. Great tire! Last winter I was driving on new Michelin Latitude Tours and these blow those out of the water in all aspects! I have been a Michelin fanboy for years and it is hard to say it, but, I would buy these any day over those. I know, different tire.....but similar use for me. I had those on a 2012 AWD Honda CRV, now, I have the Generals on a 2014 Subaru Forester. Somewhat similar. I love the Subaru. The CRV was fine, but I got ran over by a semi truck on the freeway, so, RIP CRV.

After reading this I am considering these for my Honda Ody. I was considering the Hankook 727s but these have better reviews on tirerack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back