Best Oil filter for 2014 2.5L Altima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of going with what ever brand Nissan makes/provides, but are there better ones? Are Nissans [censored]?

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
I read a thing from 2007 saying its a relabeled FRAM.

Probably, but reccomending a Fram on here is blasphemy. As long as its relabled though, an not orange its ok.

I read a thing from 2007 saying its a relabeled FRAM.

Nissan oil filters were never made by Fram. The overall design and by-pass are different from anything Fram makes. They are either made by Union Sangyo or Sakura in China in the pass few years but may have changed supplier again recently. Honda and Subaru oil filters on the other hand are manufactured by Fram.

Good luck on those in North America, well, the Mahle at least would be tough to find for a North American/Japanese application. It's ironic how one parts store has a wall of Fram for North American and Japanese applications, then a wall of Mann for European stuff.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Good luck on those in North America, well, the Mahle at least would be tough to find for a North American/Japanese application. It's ironic how one parts store has a wall of Fram for North American and Japanese applications, then a wall of Mann for European stuff.

Even with Ebay and Amazon? I would've thought they'd be quite widely available tbh..

1) there is no one here that can tell you what is "best" because you have not properly defined what "best" means to you

2) any decent qualify brand name filter will more than suffice for a normal OCI; in fact they will probably go 2x the normal OEM OCI

3) there has yet to be any published data I've ever seen linking engine wear and premium filter efficiency (above what the OEM would spec) in real world applications; you can use a more efficient filter, but you'll not get less wear

4) if you intend to GREATLY increase your OCI, then look at any of the syn media options as they have greater holding capacity.

In short, use what you want to satisfy desire, but the engine likely could not care less as long as the filter meets the OEM criteria.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Even with Ebay and Amazon? I would've thought they'd be quite widely available tbh..

Mann stuff for North American vehicles isn't too bad to find in the States, at least online (i.e. Rock Auto is a good source). Up here, not so much. Amazon won't even ship filters to Canada, of all things. Personally, I haven't seen a Mahle filter for any North American/Japanese vehicle (unless they shared an engine with a European application). The Mann filters for North American and Japanese vehicles are Purolator Classic clones, and not quite what you'd see on a German vehicle. Nonetheless, the Mann filters are fine and very well priced, when you can find them!

For my Infiniti, I switch around on occasion, using Wix, Hastings, Bosch, and Motorcraft so far.

The eBay guy is a little high in price! Rock Auto is substantially cheaper and I can get the Purolator Classic up here (the same thing) for about $4. But in all, I have seen much worse filters cost much more. Locally, that's what I'd pay for a Fram orange can, and I wouldn't find much else cheaper on the shelf than your example, aside from the Purolator Classic. Actually, the Bosch Premium is $8 at Walmart if I recall correctly, under $5 from my usual online supplier. That's about what they charged, too, for Mann/Mahle/Bosch filters for the old Audi.

I'm thinking of going with what ever brand Nissan makes/provides, but are there better ones? Are Nissans [censored]?

When I bought my 2007 M35, first thing I did was buy a case of 10 Nissan/Infiniti oil filters from the dealer. When I used them up, I switched to Union Sangyo C-218 filters, made in Malaysia, not China as mentioned by another poster here. A good local source is BAP-Geon if there's one in your area. Best internet source for the C-218 is www.oscaro.com at $3.75 each. Oscaro also carries the Hengst at $4.75 each. I've used Union Sangyo filters for 24 years with never a problem.

The OE Nissan filter is not made by FRAM even though internally it looks very similar (fiber end cap). Being the owner of a Turbocharged 350Z, I use the FRAM XG7317, a slightly larger version of the 6607 called for. It is the only oil filter in the market with two layers of full synthetic media, has 99% efficiency@20 microns and holds 13 grams of dirt, unheard of in a filter that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back