Recurring Midwest Storm Pattern (Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is today's storm lingering in the Midwest and beyond. We have been getting these same patterns for a month, including the ice storm 2 weeks ago. A long 45 degree, slow moving front stretching from Oklahoma to Maine. Michigan is getting clobbered again, this time wet snow.

Any meteorologists here that can explain this?
usa.gif

actually that pattern has been going on for years, Many of the Big storm fronts of the past 10 years have hit my brother in Dallas a day or so before they get us here in NW buckeye land.
just looking @ that pic, it looks to be foreshadowing the Appalachian Mountains a bit...
you don't really see it on a flat map like that, but if overlayed on a topographical, you see kind of a "Funnel" in that general track...

usa_toporelief_1968_l.jpg

in this 1968 USGS Map, the Darker the Color the Lower the ground, ans the Brighter Colors are Higher Ground.

Last edited:
And the Ozark mountains before that.

From the STL perspective, it appears many storms travel up I-44.

I realize it's not the highway. But it may be the terrain chosen for the highway that helps channel some weather fronts that route.

^ It's the jet stream. Based on the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about the media now naming winter storms to increase the drama.

Ahhhhhhh, that Jet Stream explanation sure looks like a winner. Don't I feel stupid.
06.gif

It just seems to be a much different pattern than I am accustomed to. So many of our storms move across the state from the west/northwest.

I am not ruling out the aliens possibility either.

This storm today is especially weird. Where I live, we already have 6-7" of fresh snow, with up to 12" expected before midnight. My buddy who lives about 15 miles SE of me has gotten about an inch of snow today... looking at the storm pattern, it seems to have a very sharp 'cutoff', if that makes any sense. Either you are getting hammered with snow/rain, or you aren't getting much of anything at all.

We believe in a real or imagined "three week pattern" where it takes 3 weeks to clear out a bad habit of recurring (fill in the blank.)

I'm hoping it's day 20.
laugh.gif

Wishful thinking.

I'm surprised that my original picture link has changed. I thought I cut and pasted a "dead" picture.

Somehow my linked picture is changing. How is that happening?

The problem is there is a Hudson Bay low blocking pattern in the jetstream currently and that upper low has been parked over the Hudson bay for almost 2 months now. The flow on the backside of it is from the northwest, so it pulls all the arctic air from northwest Canada into the upper midwest. Good thing is, it looks like the pattern will finally breakdown into the end of the week/next week with more zonal flow from the west.

Thanks Drew! Your first link seems to have gone missing. I get a 404 error.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Thanks Drew! Your first link seems to have gone missing. I get a 404 error.

The title had the word h e l l in it and the censor blocked it! The article was about the freezer bowl NFL game in 1982; the weather pattern was identical to this years. Hence the cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back