Ultragauge OBD Monitor: Recommend Alarm Setpoints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just picked up an Ultragauge OBD monitor and it gives you the option to set alarm points, such as for when temperatures become too hot or etc.

I am just wondering if you guys could care to take a look at the below alarm setpoints and could comment if you think it should be different? These are the alarms I care about...the actual list is much longer and there's a few that I turned off. I also have a few alarms that I don't know what I should configure for, so maybe you guys can help with that.

I drive a 1998 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.4L 5VZFE engine.

Current alarm setpoints:
Engine Coolant Temperature High: 120 C
RPM High: 5500 rpm
Intake Air Temperature High: 99 C
Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature High: 1100 C
Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Sensor 1 Temperature High: 1105 C
Battery Voltage High: 15 V
Engine Load High: 90%
Outside Ambient Air Temperature High: 50 C
Fuel Level Low: 3 Liters
Kilometers to Empty: 30 km
Ultragauge Internal Temperature High: 65 C

Other Alarms:
Need help with these alarms, these I currently have set to OFF. Please suggest setpoints if you think these should be ON (and if so, whether it is a low or high setpoint).

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (default 0 low, 0 high)
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (default 10 low, 10 high)
Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 (default 0 low, 400 high)
Timing Advance (default -30 low, 30 high)
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage (default 0 low, 0 high)
Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage (default 0 low, 0 high)
AFR Commanded Ratio (default 0.25 low, 1.75 high)

Thanks!

Set engine coolant temp high to 105 C, that's 220 F

Fuel pump is cooled by gas in tank, raise reserve to 4 liters / 1 gallon...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Fuel pump is cooled by gas in tank, raise reserve to 4 liters / 1 gallon...

Fuel pump is cooled by gas running THROUGH pump, not by gas in tank...

I am betting that your 1998 truck does NOT have most of those parameters available! For example catalytic temperature or battery voltage or fuel level will not be available on that truck. I will be glad to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am betting that your 1998 truck does NOT have most of those parameters available! For example catalytic temperature or battery voltage or fuel level will not be available on that truck. I will be glad to be proven wrong.

Yup you are right in the sense that out of all the available gauges, only a few are available. All the gauges in my original post are available..with the exception of catalyst temperature.

You have battery gauge and fuel level available on 98 Toyota? I don't think I was able to get them on my 99 Camry.

The battery gauge could be the battery voltage as seen at the OBD connector by the UltraGauge and if it is actually giving you fuel in the tank, it must be calculated because I do not believe those two PID's are available from the car's ECM on that era vehicle.

Bottom line is that you probably don't need to tweak any of the alarm set point until you hit one which comes on earlier than your expectation. You also don't want it on frequently changing parameters such as engine RPM or timing. You could be over the set RPM and back down well before the UltraGague even notices it. Its update rate is very slow on pre CANbus cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back