So GC is now BC and BC is now GC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has already been discussed please excuse, but I read in the other thread that GC is now being made in Belgium. I just went to AZ and noticed that the 0w-40 is in a new Edge bottle, and it now says "Made in Germany" on the back. The 0w-30 was still in the old bottle and said the same. They also had 5 quart containers of the 0w-40 ($35) and it stated made in Germany as well. This is just getting to confusing, how are the elves ever going to keep this straight?

Maybe that's why some AZ's have clearanced out GC? Is the German 0W40 green like the old GC?

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
They also had 5 quart containers of the 0w-40 ($35) and it stated made in Germany as well.

At that price I wouldn't mind trying it. How many here have tried it or are currently using it? What are the differences between the Syntec 0W40 and 10W40?

I'd venture to say the 10W40 is a bit thicker when cold...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Maybe that's why some AZ's have clearanced out GC? Is the German 0W40 green like the old GC?

I didn't buy any so I don't know what color it is. I also noticed that the 5w-40 was in the new Edge bottle but it is still made in then USA.

Wish they'd start packaging the 5W50 in 5 quart jugs.

Me too, my new Mustang requires 5W50, so my cases of GC and M1 0W40 will have to wait until I am done with the engine in my 95 Mustang.

No, it's gold.

I don't know why people are so wrapped up in where the oil is made. Who cares if it's German, Belgian, American, etc? "GC" hasn't been the magical green elixir for a very long time and is rather mediocre now.

Originally Posted By: dparm
and is rather mediocre now.

You keep saying this, and I still don't understand why.
smile.gif
What exactly makes it mediocre? Are there some performance tests out there that prove it?

To me, the only thing I know is that it still meets some of the most stringent mfg specs in existence, such as MB 229.5. Any oil meeting such specs is not mediocre, IMO.

"GC" hasn't been the magical green elixir for a very long time and is rather mediocre now.

Dude, you sound like a troll. Why was the green 'magical' as you state? The current gold version meets MB 229.5 which was an improvement over MB 229.3 which is what the green oil was, so the gold should be even more magical. All I know is that my engine runs more smooth and quite with German Castrol than US made stuff.

And you stated that the German 0w-40 is gold colored, have you actually bought some or are you refering to the Belgian variety?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif
What exactly makes it mediocre? Are there some performance tests out there that prove it?

To me, the only thing I know is that it still meets some of the most stringent mfg specs in existence, such as MB 229.5. Any oil meeting such specs is not mediocre, IMO.

Very true.

Wish they'd start packaging the 5W50 in 5 quart jugs.

Good thing when they have a sale, they usually say "5qt jug or 5 individual quarts plus filter" During their sales, and it applies to any viscosity of black Edge.

That is how I got a friend a good deal on Castrol 5w40, that isn't sold in 5qt jugs either.

smile.gif

I think he's just pointing to the fact that GC was verified as having a PAO base oil.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I think he's just pointing to the fact that GC was verified as having a PAO base oil.

Not that I care about group classification, but how do we know for sure it is not PAO anymore?

The German data sheets show both the 0w-30 and 0w-40 to be fully synthetic.

I haven't looked but generally you want to rely on the most recent data sheet for your country. I've seen base oils differ between countries and even years.

I haven't looked but generally you want to rely on the most recent data sheet for your country. I've seen base oils differ between countries and even years.

But the only country's data sheets where full synthetic means group IV is Germany. And there is no product called GC is Germany. However, there is one (forget the name now) that has identical specs to our GC, and that one is in fact called full synthetic in Germany.

Here are the links to the German names and specs. Look for the word "vollsynthetisches", which means 'full synthetic'. For the 0w-30, which used to be called SLX Longtec, nothing has changed since the gold was release in 2005 except they no longer list it approved for VW 503.01 since that spec has been superseded.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/75D086053E4FA51780257895002ACE45/$File/BPXE-8H3EGE_0.pdf

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8173E3D64419B38780257BE30053051E/$File/BPXE-8MAC2R_0.pdf

Last edited:

But the only country's data sheets where full synthetic means group IV is Germany. And there is no product called GC is Germany. However, there is one (forget the name now) that has identical specs to our GC, and that one is in fact called full synthetic in Germany.

Okay per the US site here are the following concentrations of "highly refined base oils" for the 0w30 / 0W40.

0W40 A3/B3. 15-20%
0w30 A3. 15-20%
Professional 0W40 15-20%

0w30 and 0w40. 5-10%

These MSDS are all dated 2012. Some early some later.

Okay per the US site here are the following concentrations of "highly refined base oils" for the 0w30 / 0W40.

0W40 A3/B3. 15-20%
0w30 A3. 15-20%
Professional 0W40 15-20%

0w30 and 0w40. 5-10%

These MSDS are all dated 2012. Some early some later.

So what does that mean? Are those the percentages of PAO, or the percentage of cracked oil?

You would think the German site calling it full synthetic would mean there would be significant amounts of PAO in these oils?

Also I looked up United States PDS from Nov. 2013. It shows very low pour points for both 0w-40 and 0w-30. -65 and -60 Fahrenheit respectively. Doesn't such low pour points indicate a lot of PAO?

Truly, that might push me towards these. Mobil 1 0w-40 looks so good on paper, and cracked oils can be made to perform beautifully today. However, if at a similar cost, would you not want PAO? Or does the rich additive pack in Mobil 1 0w-40 still give it an edge? I suppose there are many ways to think about it and not much between them in real use, still something to think about. It's nice there are a couple oils still out there with some "synthetic" heritage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back